Cooking club of America??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Someone gave me a gift subscription many years ago when they first started up. I wasn't impressed enough to join myself when that subscription ran out. A little while ago I got something in the mail from them & decided to give them another try. I think it's worth it. The recipes are decent - things that you would really make. Nothing too fancy. They've improved with age, in my opinion. :)

I'm a happy camper!

I've been a member for many years now. I did join the lifetime membership - I think it was 279.00. For that, as long as I live I will get their magazine (which I love). I have the cookware set - it's not All-Clad, but it's very good stainless and I use it a lot (I also have a full set of Kirkland SS that I am passionately in love with and other pieces as needed). So far I've gotten a couple of magnets for the fridge, a china trivet, a small trivet for a coffee cup, a nice apron with my name on it, the pinch and dash spoons. I've gotten to test a couple of products - you have to sign up for that. I do have some of their cookbooks, and some low life borrowed the "knife skills" video I got from them.

I like the magazine, lots of good ideas and recipes. They do send a gift of some kind a couple of times a year. Would I do it again????? Yes. I've been a lifetime member for almost 8 years. At 12.00 a year for just the magazine I'm happy with the investment. If all you want is Saveur and a lot of free stuff for your 12 bucks a year - don't waste your time.:):):)

I've been a lifetime member for a few years. I really enjoy the magazine. There is a lot of good advise (just like here), and I enjoy entering the contests. I have been sent a few things to test. Nothing big, but maybe someday. :cool: Since you have to pay for membership they are able to offer a few things like contests. A few of us were members there before we found out about Discuss Cooking. I do love Cooking Club of America but I have to admit I spend more time here. As far as the people at both sites, I know more people here, but I like everyone at both sites.

:) Barbara

Thanks for the advice. I got an ad in the mail ( including recipe cards and a flour pusher thingy bobber) and I was just wondering if I should sign up or toss the paper work.

You're all great!

I'm a member of CCA as well. I was an ambassador on their site for a while. The folks over there are lovely people and the recipes are wonderful too. My only issue is with their site. More than half the time I can't get on it, and when I DO finally get on navigating can sometimes be tough. I finally gave up. I miss my buddies over there. Barbara, could you tell everyone hello from me? Thanks.

ok... for 12 dollars a year it's worth a shot. I'll try it and if I don't like it I'm not losing much.

Thanks all!!

bump....

I just received the offer in the mail this week to join this club.... was going to ask you guys about it and found this thread. I knew you guys would know about this!

thanks for the links, FryBoy.

sounds like everyone who has a lifetime membership loves it and those that just pay for the magazine hate it and are unable to cancel without incurring collections. I think I'll pass as the recipes are available online on their website. Although the free stuff sounds good - but it seems as if you have a better chance of getting that if you sign up for the lifetime, which I can't afford right now.

I do like the book closeouts site!!!! Now those prices I can handle :-p

I signed up to be a recipe tester for Cooking Pleasures. We did two of the recipes Sunday night for dinner and they were wonderful. I'm looking forward to the last two.

There isn't a lot of activity on their forums, but I love the magazine, the cookware, and all the little goodies they send. I've been a tester for products - so far nothing great; some flavored coffee and some stain remover (which really worked). For people who roast their own coffee beans the coffee wasn't much - but it wasn't too bad.

We were 'founding' , members, or whatever they called. And had pretty much the experiences that were detailed in FryBoy's link.

Finally we just told them to cancel and that anything they sent after a certain date we would keep because we did not request the stuff. We never heard from them again. No refund, just blessed silence.

Maybe the club has improved and maybe it is better for life members. But at $279 that is about 23 years of $12 dollar memberships and I somehow doubt I will be interested in it for that long for both practical and longevity reasons.

Hope it is working better today than when we joined.

I used to be an Ambassador on the CCA website. I loved it over there and there are tons of really wonderful people there. Barbara L, Dina, tancowgirl and I all migrated here and found our true home though.

As with any place there are pros and cons. For me, the money was an issue. I wasn't willing to fork over more than $500 to become a lifetime member. I couldn't see how they arrived at that number in light of the exchange rate. I tested a few small things and was generally pleased with what I got. I LOVE their magazine and some of the recipes from it have become staples in my house. (After modifying some of the recipes I may have even posted them on here!)

It is worth a trial run for anyone who wants to give it a go. Their stuff is good quality and the magazine is mouthwatering. Their site is not as good as ours, it is difficult to access sometimes and their archive system is nearly nonexistant. The only reason I gave up on their site was because my computer HATED that website and would either not let me on, or would crash when I DID get on there.

Back
Top Bottom