Cooking Culture Shock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been with Buck over 30 years and I still think it's a bit unusual that he puts malt vinegar on his fries. He loves that.
I always knew I liked Buck, but now I like him even more. Malt vinegar on fires is beyond good!

:)In Germany they shun ice in a drink I like ice but when I asked for it they usually did not have it and when they did it was one or two cubes and thought I was insane drove me nuts they dont use ice in anything and dont drink the tap water only mineral water they put mayo on fries.When I was there in 1999 xmas after being gone for 30 years I actually found I think it was Old El Paso taco shells and salsa so I made them and they loved them.However if I was in Europe I would have no problem adapting to their foods so fresh and so good and I remember those flavors.Their saurkraut is nothing like we eat in the states much milder and some what sweet so easy to eat a bunch and the sausage? Well I think they are masters in sausage and cold cuts.Their breads and rolls well no need to go there they get them fresh baked in the morning along with the cold cuts etc for breakfast? Cant say more than that but its beautiful food although I can skip some dishes like smoked eel and other things.The pastries and cakes my god they are soo good.

Yes, for sure. Cold cuts in USA is junk.
I do not agree with post abOve about bread though. There are many-many great bakeries where bread is outstanding and even better than European, well, some Europian bread.

Yes, for sure. Cold cuts in USA is junk.
I do not agree with post abOve about bread though. There are many-many great bakeries where bread is outstanding and even better than European, well, some Europian bread.
:)Never said their breads are better just said they are really good

I thought it was odd, when I went to the Jackson County Fair, up in MI, and saw all these little vendor stands selling "fries and malt vinegar". I quickly realized it must be one of those regional tastes that I wasn't aware of, considering how quickly my other half (a local) queued up into a long line to get an order. They keep the vinegar in spray misters, which I thought was brilliant. I did taste some of PeppA's fries, and they were good, but it would be a few years before I would reach for the bottle of vinegar for the fries. Of course, I looked long and hard for a vendor selling smoked turkey legs, or any kind of BBQ. I finally found one, spent the money, and it tasted like charcoal briquette ash. Bleck!

Oh yes, chips and vinegar are good. I'm not a chip lover, yet I've posted twice on this thread about chips, sorry, fries!, now.

If you like fries with malt vinegar I recommend trying some others. In desperation a few months ago I had to offer DH mulberry vinegar for his chips and he loved it.

They keep the vinegar in spray misters, which I thought was brilliant.
Over here, if the vinegar is in a spray bottle, it normally means that it has been watered down so that their vinegar lasts longer. And malt vinegar is such an expensive item - not!!!

When you get into a lift at work, you can always tell when someone has ordered a bucket of chips for lunch - the smell of hot fat from the chips combining with the malt vinegar and the salt/chicken salt, just makes your mouth water - even when you don't like chips!!

Don't like this thread cos I now fancy hot chips!!!!!! And I won't be getting them!!!!

Oh yes, chips and vinegar are good. I'm not a chip lover, yet I've posted twice on this thread about chips, sorry, fries!, now.

If you like fries with malt vinegar I recommend trying some others. In desperation a few months ago I had to offer DH mulberry vinegar for his chips and he loved it.
Next time I have chips, I have to try the raspberry vinegar on them. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Another shock for me was when I was in Europe this summer. Harrod's in London and the food halls. This was my third trip there but I was still confused and overwhelmed at the variety and what to pick and what not to pick especially in their bakery section. Also the prices are incredibly high but people shop there like money is no object.
When we were in Harrod's 4 years ago they even had a Krispie Kreme donut setup. I wonder if they still have it.

Harrod's was mind boggling with its food halls. Since we were tourists we mostly just gazed at the stuff and bought some tea to take home.

Think KK is still there, I can check for you tonight. KK is in lots of the Tesco supermarkets now though too.
Not too many people use Harrods food halls for anything other than oddities now here is a supermarket opposite and a MArks and Spensers on the corner! The deli counters have great markdowns beofre closing, worth the detour if you are passing. The majority of the food halls, like the sweets etc are for the tourist and overseas trade I believe.

:)I had a Krispy Kreme once did not find it particularly better than any other glazed doughnut.
When we got the first Krispy Kreme store here in San Antonio, honest to goodness, people waited in the drive thru lane for over an hour!!! I was amazed - and more than a little anxious to try one of their doughnuts. When I finally got some, I didn't find them better than any other doughnut either. (Of course, I love all doughnuts.)

:)I had a Krispy Kreme once did not find it particularly better than any other glazed doughnut.

I moved here to VA from MI in 1985 - KK is all the rage here, but I can't stand them. They taste like plastic to me. I grew up on Dunkin' Donuts - on Sundays, Dad would go out and get the paper and a dozen assorted doughnuts and they'd sit around all morning reading the paper while we played.

KK is different in UK, our doughnuts tend to be unglazed but sugar rolled, and although mass produced are common not quite so lightly fake as KK or any other American style doughnut. I can't really imagin there being fuss in the States over them but they are diferent here.

Speaking of doughnuts, a friend of mine visited the US recently. She was gobsmacked when she was served doughnuts for breakfast! :blink: (She still mentions it with a incredulous look on her face from time to time)

Is this a common practice, or was she just staying somewhere funny? (It's not something we tend to do here.)

Speaking of doughnuts, a friend of mine visited the US recently. She was gobsmacked when she was served doughnuts for breakfast! :blink: (She still mentions it with a incredulous look on her face from time to time)

Is this a common practice, or was she just staying somewhere funny? (It's not something we tend to do here.)

Interesting - when else would you serve them? :LOL: They're always for breakfast, as far as I know.

I moved here to VA from MI in 1985 - KK is all the rage here, but I can't stand them. They taste like plastic to me. I grew up on Dunkin' Donuts - on Sundays, Dad would go out and get the paper and a dozen assorted doughnuts and they'd sit around all morning reading the paper while we played.

If I want doughnuts, I go to Krispy Kreme. If I want cake I go to Kroger. ;)

But then, I grew up in Texas on Shipley's Doughnuts. Not even Krispy Kreme can top them.

I miss Whataburger too. :(

I've checked and Krispy Kreme still have a concession within the Harrods food halls.

You know you guys making trips to London should check out Fortnums food halls, that really IS luxury.

I'm so lucky, phinz. I have a Shipley's about a mile from home and a Whataburger 2 blocks away. My personal Shipley's favorites are the chocolate iced (versus the chocolate glazed).

If I want doughnuts, I go to Krispy Kreme. If I want cake I go to Kroger. ;)

But then, I grew up in Texas on Shipley's Doughnuts. Not even Krispy Kreme can top them.

I miss Whataburger too. :(

I hear ya, but have you had Dunkin's glazed doughnuts? Ab-solutely fab-ulous! :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom