"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-30-2007, 03:53 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Bilby, Rom, and our other international friends:
Since I work in the food industry, I like to know the foreign terms and slang for food items. By any chance, could you explain to me, what the "footy" is? Some kind of local market? I think I know what the "meat pie" is, something like a pasty.
Australian slang dictionary

This list is a bit more ocker than most of us speak but you will find some of the terms in common use. Even if one doesn't say the word/phrase, we still know what a lot of them mean. I don't think all of these are limit to Australian and probably originated in other lands. I should warn that some of the language is not polite! And some of the descriptions a tad graphic too.

I missed the pastie comment before. A pastie is made with plain pastry, not puff and contains beef mince and vegetables without the gravy. The meat pie in its basic form is beef mince or beef chunks in gravy. The variations are now a lot greater and there are even gourmet pies, like seafood, lasagna, crab and chilli, stroganoff, etc.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:07 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Let me state that I live in Connecticut that has NOTHING!!!!!

I used to live in California. I would love the Dim Sum places, the Mexican place (AUTHENTIC Mexican, including HEAT!!!!!! Ouch) and Thai and Japanese ... and I'd love to find a Filipino Restaurant too. HERE IN CT that is. Doesn't do me any good if it's in California. LoL Oh geez, I'm not even hungry and my mouth is watering again.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #33
Head Chef

There's a quaint Middle-Eastern quarter here in Bangkok that's more popularly and mischievously called by expats as Soi Bin Laden (soi means street in Thai.) The place gets crowded with people of various ethnicities many of whom wear traditional garb and headgear. There are countless Middle-Eastern/African restaurants here: Egyptian, Persian, Turkish, Ethiopian, etc, including Indian and Uzbekistan among others. You can sip thick sludgy Turkish coffee at outdoor cafes while puffing languidly on fragrant hookah pipes. A common sight are little sidewalk stalls selling anything from trinkets, souvenirs, and T-shirts to falafels and shawarma.

One time I queued up at a shawarma stall that was roasting densely packed slices of marinated meat on a vertical rotisserie. A white guy ahead of me, obviously a tourist, pointed at the roasting meat and asked the seller if it was pork............which startled me. He repeated the question because the seller ignored him at first. He had a strong American accent. Good thing the seller was a Thai employee and not the Muslim owner... He was told it was beef and I think he left not realizing his faux pas...

It works both ways. When we travel to a place very different from what we're used to, it can be that the people there get culture shock from us as well :-)
Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #34
Head Chef

As an expat kid I got pretty used to my mother struggling to learn local dishes of where we lived and to beable to pull together a few comforting 'home style' meals for times we were homesick or ill. I lived across lots of places until my early teens, so that was a good training.

Last year, moving to Italy though I was the cook. Italian food is hardly alien though, and my DH is Italian too, so that helped. Butchery cuts are subtly different, which was a surprise.....and new vegetables were fun: I would ask older ladies in the supermarket what the best way to cook them was, or ask Urmanic13 here! Also on Urmanic's advice I started geting an excellent Italian food magazine, which is super as it has so much seasonal cooking in it. I fully ntend to take year long turns of subscribing to cookery magazines from different places now to get more authentic inspiration. :)
Old 12-01-2007, 12:56 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Bilby, Rom, thanks for the head's-up on slang and local terms. I would have never guess that "footy" was short for a football game.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This reminds me, our exchange student from the former East Germany ate French fries with mayo, and our student from Slovakia said they eat ketchup on spaghetti there.
very common here... french fries with mayo
and ketchup on spaghetti is very famous with kids...
I don't like it anyway.. either mayo (what for do you need it? Even in salads it's just horror) nor ketchup on pasta...
it's so easy and fast to make a great sauce..

culture shock:
I was quite shocked over in the US that they don't have real bread, white tasteless potatoes only and no quark...
I would really miss these things..
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #37
Head Chef

I love mayo on chips, never, or very rarely would have it on salads out of the jar rather than homemade but would have it over ketchup with chips, Cara!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Sounds like Shock & Awe(some) to me Miss Connie!!
It was Indeed, Uncle Bob. I think everyone should have to live somewhere for a while where they are the outsider.
I was in the doctors office one day with my baby, and there were five or six other mothers there with their children. They were chattering up a storm, but I couldn't make out what they were talking about. Every once in a while, they would stop talking and look at me. I didn't know if they were trying to include me in the conversation, or talking about me, so I just smiled and nodded.

When we first moved in, the neighbor warned me, "Don't you be lettin le bebe be playin outside without you watchin her, or gator will get her."
I thought he was just pulling my leg because I was a yankee. Then, a few days later, I was washing dishes and looking out the kitchen window, when a BIG old gator went sauntering through the yard.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

I've never lived in another country, but even moving about 35 miles east (from eastern Connecticut to Rhode Island) exposed me to a lot of food-related things I had never heard of before. I still remember the first time I went grocery shopping with my boyfriend (a lifelong Rhode Islander) and he put a bottle of coffee syrup in the shopping cart. Since I had no idea what it was, I asked him and he explained that it's something you put in milk to make coffee milk--it's actually rather good even though I don't like coffee.

I might just be showing you all how sheltered I am, but I had also never heard of putting vinegar on French fries until I moved here. It seemed really weird at first, but I suppose it doesn't seem so strange anymore--personally, I'll stick to eating them plain or with ketchup.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutfry View Post
I might just be showing you all how sheltered I am, but I had also never heard of putting vinegar on French fries until I moved here. It seemed really weird at first, but I suppose it doesn't seem so strange anymore--personally, I'll stick to eating them plain or with ketchup.
I've been with Buck over 30 years and I still think it's a bit unusual that he puts malt vinegar on his fries. He loves that.