"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #51
Executive Chef

I had a Krispy Kreme once did not find it particularly better than any other glazed doughnut.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I had a Krispy Kreme once did not find it particularly better than any other glazed doughnut.
When we got the first Krispy Kreme store here in San Antonio, honest to goodness, people waited in the drive thru lane for over an hour!!! I was amazed - and more than a little anxious to try one of their doughnuts. When I finally got some, I didn't find them better than any other doughnut either. (Of course, I love all doughnuts.)

Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I moved here to VA from MI in 1985 - KK is all the rage here, but I can't stand them. They taste like plastic to me. I grew up on Dunkin' Donuts - on Sundays, Dad would go out and get the paper and a dozen assorted doughnuts and they'd sit around all morning reading the paper while we played.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #54
Head Chef

KK is different in UK, our doughnuts tend to be unglazed but sugar rolled, and although mass produced are common not quite so lightly fake as KK or any other American style doughnut. I can't really imagin there being fuss in the States over them but they are diferent here.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Speaking of doughnuts, a friend of mine visited the US recently. She was gobsmacked when she was served doughnuts for breakfast! (She still mentions it with a incredulous look on her face from time to time)

Is this a common practice, or was she just staying somewhere funny? (It's not something we tend to do here.)
Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stassie View Post
Speaking of doughnuts, a friend of mine visited the US recently. She was gobsmacked when she was served doughnuts for breakfast! (She still mentions it with a incredulous look on her face from time to time)

Is this a common practice, or was she just staying somewhere funny? (It's not something we tend to do here.)
Interesting - when else would you serve them? They're always for breakfast, as far as I know.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I moved here to VA from MI in 1985 - KK is all the rage here, but I can't stand them. They taste like plastic to me. I grew up on Dunkin' Donuts - on Sundays, Dad would go out and get the paper and a dozen assorted doughnuts and they'd sit around all morning reading the paper while we played.
If I want doughnuts, I go to Krispy Kreme. If I want cake I go to Kroger.

But then, I grew up in Texas on Shipley's Doughnuts. Not even Krispy Kreme can top them.

I miss Whataburger too. :(

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #58
Head Chef

I've checked and Krispy Kreme still have a concession within the Harrods food halls.

You know you guys making trips to London should check out Fortnums food halls, that really IS luxury.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #59
Executive Chef

I'm so lucky, phinz. I have a Shipley's about a mile from home and a Whataburger 2 blocks away. My personal Shipley's favorites are the chocolate iced (versus the chocolate glazed).
Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
If I want doughnuts, I go to Krispy Kreme. If I want cake I go to Kroger.

But then, I grew up in Texas on Shipley's Doughnuts. Not even Krispy Kreme can top them.

I miss Whataburger too. :(
I hear ya, but have you had Dunkin's glazed doughnuts? Ab-solutely fab-ulous!