"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #61
Head Chef

Cake with glaze. Blech.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Spent a summer plus in the UK in a house equipped with a real 4 oven Aga. Don't know if that was culture shock even at first, but I didn't want to leave at the end of the term. For those of you who don't know about Aga ranges, the inside burner is always on, the location on the range determines the heat amount. One oven roasts, one bakes, one simmers, one warms. Two big hot plates one boiling one simmering are used like French tops. Truly awesome to cook on. Can't tell you the cost in the uK but they are very pricey here in the US as imports. And as we are not as "cold" a country where I live here in the US, I didn't even consider one. But if I move to the UP, gonna consider it for sure.

As for culture shock of a different type, living here in Amish country has gotten me the finest fresh veggies etc all summer and autumn. But now that's over till next summer and to go back into the supermarkets with their produce from wherever, weeks or months old...it's a shock.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Interesting - when else would you serve them? They're always for breakfast, as far as I know.
Or for a coffee break.I love them but dont touch them because if I eat one I want to eat a whole dozen.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #64
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Interesting - when else would you serve them? They're always for breakfast, as far as I know.
Wow...! If I had doughnuts for breakfast, I'd feel... I don't know. As if I'd had cake for breakfast. Or icecream. (Actually... I've been known to have icecream for breakfast! But it still felt odd!)

I guess it's no worse for you than having waffles drenched in syrup, or pancakes... but doughnuts just don't feel like a breakfast food!

We tend to eat them as a snack for a treat. If we served them for breakfast, people would look as us funny
Old 12-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #65
Executive Chef

We've always thought of doughnuts as a breakfast food, although not one you'd eat every day. Also for having with coffee or as a snack. But I would never think of them as a lunch or a dinner. Weird, huh?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #66
Assistant Cook

I didn't intend to start a Krispy Kreme or donut discussion. I had asked about Harrad's because when I was there the Krispy Kreme was brand new. The donuts they were making at the time were identical to the USA variety. The reason I asked is because Krispy Kreme over expanded in the USA and have closed in a lot of places. Krispy Kreme is not a typical donut. Don't judge the USA based on Krispy Kreme. It is a one of a kind akin to a McDonald's hamburger. I could take you to Woullets Bakery in Wayzata, MN and you would probably rave.

A donut is a breakfast snack substitute or treat. It generally is not eaten with a full breakfast. It is also a morning food often served with coffee at a 10 AM coffee break or in morning office meetings when a break is scheduled. In the afternoon cookies and soft drinks seem to take over for the same functions.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Like Stassie over in NZ, you won't see a donut on a breakfast menu in Australia either, well at least not in WA. While I see it being bought for morning teas, for the most part I see it being bought after school is out for afternoon teas. Definite treat food.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #68
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
A donut is a breakfast snack substitute or treat. It generally is not eaten with a full breakfast. It is also a morning food often served with coffee at a 10 AM coffee break or in morning office meetings when a break is scheduled. In the afternoon cookies and soft drinks seem to take over for the same functions.
Muffins (the American version, not English) tend to fill this role in NZ. I'd have one for breakfast, and I often order them for morning tea meetings at work.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 PM   #69
Executive Chef

All I know is the Ozzies eat pancakes as a dessert and the germans like waffles as an afternoon tea thing.;Americans eat them both for breakfast.Not that is a good thing.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #70
Executive Chef

When you consider that it wasn't so long ago that a typical Australian breakfast consisted of a steak, sausages, egg and chips, not having (what we consider) a dessert food for breakfast is not such a bad thing!!!LOL