"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #71
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
All I know is the Ozzies eat pancakes as a dessert and the germans like waffles as an afternoon tea thing.;Americans eat them both for breakfast.Not that is a good thing.
Pancakes as a dessert? I would eat them for breakfast and definately never for dessert LOL

Old 12-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #72
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
Pancakes as a dessert? I would eat them for breakfast and definately never for dessert LOL
A friend of mine makes them for dessert over here. I'd consider them a breakfast food myself, though.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #73
Sous Chef

i think maybe piklets are better actually lol
my mum actually makes spinach canneloni out of pancakes (for dinner of course), obviously savoury lol
Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 PM   #74
Assistant Cook

Going back to the whole culture shock topic, I moved from NYC to suburban Florida. And we don't drive.

I miss being able to hop a train for good Indian food then changing my mind and walking a little further for sushi. Or being able to grab a gyro and eat in Central Park.

Where I live now I get to pick from McDs, 7-11, and chain steakhouses. I'm not pleased.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 AM   #75
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
Breakfast food for Pancake Tuesday and dessert the rest of the time. Unless of course we are talking savoury pancakes and then they are breakfast, lunch or dinner!!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
Cake with glaze. Blech.
Nah, the glazed ones aren't cakey - they're very light with a large crumb. Yummy (that's the closest smilie I can find to smacking one's lips)
Old 12-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stassie View Post
Wow...! If I had doughnuts for breakfast, I'd feel... I don't know. As if I'd had cake for breakfast. Or icecream. (Actually... I've been known to have icecream for breakfast! But it still felt odd!)

I guess it's no worse for you than having waffles drenched in syrup, or pancakes... but doughnuts just don't feel like a breakfast food!

We tend to eat them as a snack for a treat. If we served them for breakfast, people would look as us funny
In our family, they were a Sunday treat, not everyday breakfast food.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:04 AM   #78
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Some Brazilian eating costumes that are significantly different than USA:

Advocados are generally considered dessert and eaten with lemon juice and sugar sprinkled on them.
As someone stated, is common to put mayo in your pizza and with your French fries.
It is also common to have your pizza with a bit of olive oil on it and there are sweet pizzas, like chocolate with strawberry, pineapple, etc.
The regular sugar used for coffee, etc. is almost like American powdered sugar.
Nobody drinks coffee with a meal, perhaps an espresso afterwards.
Hot dogs can be served plain (American style) or with all sort of stuff on them, like corn, sweet peas, etc.
In Southern Brazil (at least long time ago), Pepsi was more popular than Coke.
A tiny cup of espresso in any street stand up bar, used to be free (not any more)
Old 12-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #79
Master Chef

Shopping in a 3rd world country(we've lived in Egypt and India) was such a challenge! I didn't really appreciate our modern supermarkets and the convenience of one-stop shopping until we lived overseas for the first time. Maybe it's different now but 10 years ago in Cairo there were separate shops for: fish, beef and chicken, pork(pretty scarce as you can imagine), bakery items, stationery, fresh spices, pastries, fruits&vegetables, toys,etc., etc., etc. In Mumbai, India in addition to the above you had to navigate non-existent streets, dodge people and vehicles, and then choose from different vendors along filthy "streets" as to what you wanted. This one had better tomatos but that one had better lettuce.........and you definitely had to soak all veggies and fruits in clorox or potassium permanganate that would stain your hands purple if you accidentally got the crystals on you (which I always did). Shopping for a family of 4 took up half a day. But the friendliness of the people and their willingness to help always made the experience a memorable one.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Hot dogs can be served plain (American style) or with all sort of stuff on them, like corn, sweet peas, etc.
Plain as in, with nothing at all on them? I don't think I've ever seen anyone other than young children eat hot dogs that way. There are regional variations of what to put on them, but there's always something.