Cooking disasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I'll start ;) Years ago when I was first married, I had MIL over for dinner. Her face was turning red and she was sweating after eating my spaghetti, apparently I had put too much hot pepper in it :LOL:

Another time I cooked turkey.. and left the giblets in it with the paper it came in :LOL:

There's been a few times that I've put veggies on the stove to steam and then... off into my own world I went. What a horrid smell when I returned a few hours later.

Last night I boiled rice noodles for too long. They looked more like mashed potatoes than noodles. I had to start over.

I'll start ;) Years ago when I was first married, I had MIL over for dinner. Her face was turning red and she was sweating after eating my spaghetti, apparently I had put too much hot pepper in it :LOL:

:ROFLMAO: Are you sure that was on accident?! Hope you made up for it by now!

I'm guilty of glancing at a recipe and tossing sugar where there should be salt, and vice versa. I'd love to cite a specific example, but there have been many. :LOL: I'm well known as being a slow learner ;) Ever had choclate chip cookies with 3/4 C. of salt in them? Been there. Waaaaaaay more often than I should have been.

Another time I cooked turkey.. and left the giblets in it with the paper it came in :LOL:
I'm winkin at ya LadyCook, you know why....;)
It wasn't my blunder. It was my MIL's.
She had everyone over for Thanksgiving. Almost, by any standards, the best baker ever [sans my own grandmother that is]. We sat to savor the pumpkin pie. FIL said, "Bet, is this a different recipe than the one you always use?" She proudly said, "No, it's the one I always use." Already accepting compliments from the 'air'. He said, "Hum..." We all tasted it, we all spit out our tiny bites, because upon her tasting her piece, she'd embarrassingly forgotten to add the sugar. So we had, squash unsweetened custard basically, awful. All these years later, whenever I made something sweet, I taste it just to make sure I added the sugar...........:-p

Admit, you were trying to get rid off her for good. :LOL:

My first thanksgiving in America I did the same thing. How was I supposed to know about the stuff inside? Same Thanksgiving I was trying to defrost the darn bird under the water. Well bird managed to position it self in the sink in such way that it plugged the drain. The water, of course, kept running and running, for hours until fire man knocked on the door and asked if we had a leak or something. We lived on the 4th floor of a very old apartment building the water completely flooded the lobby; there was at least an inch of standing water. How we got away with no trouble then bits me, thank G-d for that.

made a paella once, using the tried and true recipe, but the rice never got tender...it turned to dust and mush or it stayed rock hard. Hadn't used a name brand rice that time and it was cr*p for sure. Some things are best when name brand: rice and dried pasta for example.

made a paella once, using the tried and true recipe, but the rice never got tender...it turned to dust and mush or it stayed rock hard. Hadn't used a name brand rice that time and it was cr*p for sure. Some things are best when name brand: rice and dried pasta for example.

what is your preference of dried pasta? Ronzoni , Barilla? Other ?

Our worst was a roast duck. I am still not sure exactly what went wrong, but it turned out greasy tasting and void of most flavor. I followed a TNT recipe to the letter, but man was that a disappointment. I think we chalked it up to inexperience.
The second worst was my mothers ham. They bought it in the Amana Colonies and paid a premium for it as it was supposed to be the best. One bite was like biting into a piece of salt. Yick!
I am sure there have been countless others, but can't think of them right now.

I fell asleep once while I was pregnant with my son, I was in the process of boiling eggs for hard boiled eggs. I woke up to a very stinky smoke filled apartement. The eggs were BLACK and I didn't even try to clean the pan, just pitched it in the garbage. :LOL:

not me , my mom

when my mother married my stepdad, i was seven years old. she evidently had little or no cooking skills. i remember that she made a cake, was in an angel food pan.

that thing was so sponge like, that my sister and i rolled it across the kitchen floor for one of us to the other. when we missed and it hit the cupboard , it would bounce like a ball. we laughed and laughed. i am sure my mom did not think it amusing.

me, oh no i never have a bad turn out , lol.

babe:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I have a couple.... does it make me a bad cook????

I was getting some dried garbanzos simmered for hummus. Had them simmering a little too long. I was wondering what smelled like popcorn.........

I made a big deal about having Thanksgiving at my house after a c-section and the last bebe was 3 weeks old. I said... HA I can do this I'm superwoman!!!!
Meal came off just fine, no prob.
Until the apple crisp. Everyone is sitting around the table saying there's something wrong with my apple crisp. (Except my step-FIL bless that man!! He just happily and quietly ate...) I am getting very mad and upset because IMHO my apple crisp is THE BOMB!!!!!
Finally I figure out after everyone is passing out on the couch that I sorta forgot the sugar in the crisp part..... I cried even harder cuz I screwed up Thanksgiving... musta been hormones.

At work a few months ago I forgot to add yeast to a 25 lb batch of bagel dough. STUPID!!! Had to throw away the whole thing!

But that's all.... really. Really really.

My cousin (when he was a young inexperienced cook) made a cake once and swapped the amounts for flour and baking powder – i.e. a couple of cups of baking powder and a few teaspoons of flour.
It was a microwave cake – and the whole microwave filled up with foam!

My worst mistake was this Christmas when my daughter asked me for help with prime rib for a large crowd. Deciding to make a wine sauce, I grabbed a bottle of highly recommended wine and used it without tasting. Way too tart. Semi salvaged it with lots of sugar, but nothing like my usual wine sauce. The lesson? Taste ingredients before using, especially unfamiliar ones.
Regarding those expensive country hams. I have lived in Richmond for 40 years where they are always available, and have never been successful with one of them. I have tried soaking, boiling, and other methods. They are way too salty for my taste.

My sister made a fiasco out of beef stroganoff a few years back. After we had cut the steak into strips she told me to roll each piece of steak in salt, and I asked her if she was sure that was what the recipe called for, and she said yes. I look at the recipe and told her that it meant that all that was needed was 1/4 tsp of salt to be put in with the steak, and not that each piece of meat needed to be covered with a quarter tsp of salt. She kept insisting she was right, so I finally gave up (thinking boy is she going to be getting a rude awakening when the dish was done) and went ahead with her wishes to coat each piece of steak with salt. Well, after the dish was prepared and we all sat down to eat (my sister, me, my brother, and our parents) she realized I was right. That night was the first night that we made a run on the water faucet, we drank that much (and I heartily dislike water!). My sister never made that mistake again. And the way too salty stroganoff ended up in the trashcan.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom