"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2016, 02:19 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cooking/food in TV shows and movies

It's interesting to see how our favorite characters interact with food and the kitchen. My disabled BIL lives with us and he loves The 3 Stooges.

I play a lot of that on YouTube for him. There's an episode where they are working in a cafe/diner, and someone orders chicken soup. Curly makes it by pouring boiling water inside of a raw chicken. The chicken 'soup' then runs into the bowl. Curly then takes the bowl and slides it across the counter where it splashes on Moe burning him.

Then we can't forget June Cleaver peeling potatoes and other kitchen chores while wearing a dress, heels, and pearls. My wife wears shorts and a t-shirt to do that stuff (while barefoot). lol

Any other memories involving food, cooking, and TV/films?

I bet that milk in those glass bottles was yummy (delivered fresh daily or weekly?). I was born in the 70's so I missed that fresher dairy era.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:06 AM   #2
Master Chef

You might want to check to see if there are any dairy stores near you. We have a couple of places within a 15-mile radius where we can buy farm-fresh milk in returnable glass bottles - or plastic. Most excellent milk!

We actually did a weekly dairy run to one of them that was a skip-and-a-jump from my usual grocery store until they suffered a listeria outbreak. The health department went over their equipment twice with fine-toothed combs and could not find any problem. Nevertheless, they shut down their milk processing plant unless they bought all new equipment. Sadly, this would have cost the family-run business about $1 million dollars to completely rebuild, so they decided to sell their raw milk off to another dairy plant who mixes it in with milk from several dairies. It never tasted as good and sweet after than, so we resort to grocery store milk now.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:08 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
It's interesting to see how our favorite characters interact with food and the kitchen. My disabled BIL lives with us and he loves The 3 Stooges.

I play a lot of that on YouTube for him. There's an episode where they are working in a cafe/diner, and someone orders chicken soup. Curly makes it by pouring boiling water inside of a raw chicken. The chicken 'soup' then runs into the bowl. Curly then takes the bowl and slides it across the counter where it splashes on Moe burning him.

Then we can't forget June Cleaver peeling potatoes and other kitchen chores while wearing a dress, heels, and pearls. My wife wears shorts and a t-shirt to do that stuff (while barefoot). lol

Any other memories involving food, cooking, and TV/films?

I bet that milk in those glass bottles was yummy (delivered fresh daily or weekly?). I was born in the 70's so I missed that fresher dairy era.
Either the bulb is burnt out or the fridge in that picture is not plugged in.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

First time I ever noticed cooking on TV was when Justin Wilson was on TLC and I learned everything I know about cooking from him...and a few folks here...
Old 01-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
First time I ever noticed cooking on TV was when Justin Wilson was on TLC and I learned everything I know about cooking from him...and a few folks here...
I loved listening to his stories. I had never heard of Cajun food until he came along.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Cook

And we can't forget Alice's "pork chops and apple sauce" from Brady Bunch. As a kid, I didn't "get" the apple sauce bit. Because my mom never made apple sauce with pork chops. She'd make mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, etc..

It wasn't until I got married and moved here to Ohio where I first encountered people serving apple sauce with pork chops. I went to grille some chops, and my wife asked where the apple sauce was. :)
Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
And we can't forget Alice's "pork chops and apple sauce" from Brady Bunch. As a kid, I didn't "get" the apple sauce bit. Because my mom never made apple sauce with pork chops. She'd make mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, etc..

It wasn't until I got married and moved here to Ohio where I first encountered people serving apple sauce with pork chops. I went to grille some chops, and my wife asked where the apple sauce was. :)
Pork and apples are great together! I like to braise pork shoulder chops with apples and onions in gravy. So good.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I grew up in the I Love Lucy era and clearly remember some of the mayhem she and Ethel produced in the kitchen. Oven doors flying off. Bread rising and moving across the room. There's more.

Then, more normal, the era of The Brady Bunch and My Three Sons. Lots of "good eats" came out of those two kitchens. One of the things that stands out in my mind about My Three Sons was the huge lazy susan they had in the middle of their kitchen table. How practical!!

Tags
cook, cooking, food