"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Funny, Ya know CWS, today DH and I were driving through some the farms and orchards here in the middle of the desert
(yes we do grow stuff here too the 5 C's, citrus, cattle cotton and the other two are climate and copper)
and I said that I would really like to spend a week or so on a working farm or ranch and WORK!
DH asked me WHY?
My response, without the ranchers and farmers you'd be walking around naked and starving. I support our local farmers and ranchers, for sure!
+1 although I know how to spin, weave, knit, and sew, I don't rely on my own talents to make my own clothes. I'd be walking around naked!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #22
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
The discussion that DH and I had on this car ride was that most folks don't know nor do they care, were their goods come from, how it got there, what's in it, just that it's there and they buy/pay for it.
I like fresh eggs from either my DF or the nice gal down the road a piece, I try to purchase organic when possible from local small farms, crafted cheeses and butter (there's loads of goats, sheep and cows 'round these parts). The beef here in the middle of the desert is amazing!
Granted, I am retired and I have that luxury of time to seek these products out, but it's now my hobby, my quest to feed us two well and as healthfully as I can afford within our fixed income.
But honestly, with all of the farmers markets all over the place on the weekends only, I see oodles of working folk shopping there.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
Master Chef

Back to the subject at hand.

IMO cooking from scratch certainly doesn't mean that one is necessarily a "superior" cook, or that one ends up with a "superior" product.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh how I wish we had year round farmers markets.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

IMO cooking from scratch certainly doesn't mean that one is necessarily a "superior" cook, or that one ends up with a "superior" product.
+1..
Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We have the next best thing. Our farmers market is open from April till Dec. 20, and the primary farmer will deliver orders weekly through the winter to the home of the market manager for pick-up.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:07 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I agree.

It is also a modern phenomenon that people seem proud of the fact that they can cook from scratch and duplicate a processed food, just like KRAFT or some other manufacturer used to make!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We do here, although during the winter months the produce isn't really local. There is still the honey vendors, bakery vendors, greenhouse/landscape vendors(since we can plant some things in the winter). The veg when though shipped in, in the winter is often cheaper than the grocery store.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
When you have over 300 tomato plants in the garden, you make tomato paste, and sundried tomatoes, and ... Some people prefer to use what they can grow in a garden and go from there. The logical reason not to use prepared products depends on a person's sensitivities to preservatives and chemicals or a person's financial situation. Not everyone can afford the luxury of buying prepared products. I can't tolerate a lot of prepared products because of the additives. Hence, I find a way to re-create the same at home from ingredients I trust with no additives.
No one is chastising you. The point is we all cannot live this life you live. To be honest, I would not want to live like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I disagree--it is a luxury to buy prepared products--I can do a rotisserie chicken in my oven for less that it costs to buy one already cooked at Costco.
That's not true.
Costco rotisserie chicken is $4.99.
Store bought uncooked whole chicken @$1.49LB x 3 Lbs = $4.47
Energy cost?
Time?
= more money than picking up the cooked rotisserie chicken.

While i do agree with you for most prepared items, using a Costco rotisserie chicken as an example does not work mathematically.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #30
Master Chef

We all have to make choices and we all run the risk of ending up living under a bridge.

If I do end up living under a bridge I will probably continue cooking from scratch, most of the time!

Tags
cook, cooking