"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Perhaps he's using your cooking to vent.
+1..

Old 01-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Everyone's suggestions are wonderful and you can pick and choose from them to suit your situation.

Having such a young one is more than a 24-hour job over and above everything else you have to do. I understand your frustration because I raised 8 children and there were days I probably couldn't have told you my name.

Just try to take a breath and tell yourself that this won't last forever. It won't.

As for your SO, he might be feeling a little left out as someone already mentioned or is venting for other reasons. Is there something going on at his place of work that might be making him feel threatened? Don't forget, he's now responsible for 3 people, one of whom is essentially helpless without you or him. There's a little stress there, too. A baby isn't something you can return to the department store for a refund.

Take a breath. Have a good cry and tell yourself to look at things a little differently the next day.

This, too, shall pass.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #13
Senior Cook

He should do the cooking if he's dissatisfied with your cooking. :) My wife has a bad back and can't walk very well, so I have to do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning. And also working, plus taking care of her brother who has developmental disabilities.

It's hard work running a household. He should be more sensitive and if he wants a menu change, he should surprise you by bringing home some groceries and cooking dinner and give you a break.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #14
Head Chef

Let him toss all the food away that he wants.

You fix what you fix and that's it.

Want something different then fix and pay for it yourself.

When I grew up we were grateful for what we were served.

My how times and attitudes have changed.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Let him toss all the food away that he wants.

You fix what you fix and that's it.

Want something different then fix and pay for it yourself.

When I grew up we were grateful for what we were served.

My how times and attitudes have changed.
Great advice. I feel like a short order cook sometimes. My wife can't cook due to her back problem, but she is super picky. For example, the other night she wouldn't tell me what she wanted for dinner, and I had to feed her disabled brother.

It was getting to be almost 6, so I just cooked spaghetti with meat sauce and made a nice salad. She turned up her nose at it, so I had to make her a grilled cheese and soup. I need to install a restaurant style grille with a grease trap, and get an order pad like a waitress would have.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyez7000 View Post
Has anyone experienced this where it doesn't matter what you make it either doesnt turn out, is taking longer than supposed to or significant other keeps complaining that your cooking is no longer good. I don't know what what we have a 1 yr old so i dont know if its cuz im sleep deprived or what but it really sucks
I'm sorry for your troubles greeneyez, but you must know by now you have a very inconsiderate partner and my guess is you've known that for a while. For heavens sake, don't marry him! Things will only get worse. I'm betting his attitude has nothing at all to do with your cooking. Keep your chin up, and take care of your baby and yourself.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm sorry to hear that, jd. You seem to have a good sense of humor about it, but I'm sure it gets old. There's almost no greater joy than cooking with love for someone who appreciates it. I hope it gets better for you - maybe your wife can sit at the table and chop veggies, write up menus, or something to help her feel more involved in the daily meals...?
Old 01-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, jd. You seem to have a good sense of humor about it, but I'm sure it gets old. There's almost no greater joy than cooking with love for someone who appreciates it. I hope it gets better for you - maybe your wife can sit at the table and chop veggies, write up menus, or something to help her feel more involved in the daily meals...?
+1 another idea is to get her a kitchen chair so she can help. I have one on wheels that's intended for a drafting table, and I can scoot all over the kitchen in it and use it when my back or knee is acting up.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm sorry for your troubles greeneyez, but you must know by now you have a very inconsiderate partner and my guess is you've known that for a while. For heavens sake, don't marry him! Things will only get worse. I'm betting his attitude has nothing at all to do with your cooking. Keep your chin up, and take care of your baby and yourself.
I have a co-worker who has a couple of kids with an inconsiderate ass. Well that's being polite. He is emotionally and physically abusive to her. She comes home from work and has to do the cleaning and cooking. He doesn't even take care of their 2 small kids (under 3). They live next to his mom, so my co-worker has to bundle up the kids at 8AM and drops them off at her house before leaving for work.

He sleeps until noon and then plays video games all day. Weird thing is, she's a beautiful 25 year old woman and could have a professional guy who is a great provider, if she would leave him. Her parents are both dead. She has a sister who begs her to leave him.

His mom has had to call 911 when the dude gets violent. Even his mom has told my co-worker "my son doesn't deserve you! Leave him!" She has a self-esteem problem.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
+1 another idea is to get her a kitchen chair so she can help. I have one on wheels that's intended for a drafting table, and I can scoot all over the kitchen in it and use it when my back or knee is acting up.
I was going to buy a stool, but she said she wouldn't use it. lol. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. I appreciate it. She starts therapy Monday so hopefully it will help.

Tags
cook, cooking