Cooking in a heat wave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today's predicted temps for Culpeper, VA, were 101 with a heat index of 110. Same is predicted for the next few days. Even with a/c, it does dampen one's enthusiasm for cooking.

My plans for this type of weather involve as little as possible - lol!! Lots of shrimp - which I have the market steam for me (why the heck should I cook them when the store does it for free??), which we have chilled with cocktail sauce or turned into shrimp salad & served on toasted rolls.

I also like poaching some boneless skinless chicken breasts & turning them into chicken salad with grapes & walnuts served over greens. A nice loaf of some artisinal bread makes it a meal.

Pasta is also great, so long as the sauce is light. No heavy meat sauces - just veggies &/or seafood.

And while I don't use a lot of processed food, a taco "kit" makes terrific ground turkey tacos with all the trimmings. Fast & good eating.

Another hot-weather favorite? Salmon loaf using canned salmon. Served at room temp or chilled with tartar sauce (or hot with Hollandaise), it makes a great dinner, & the leftovers make great sandwiches.

Uncle Bob said:
I've looked at these "ductless" models, but for my purpose (to create a cool zone during emergency, extened power outages) they are pricey back up systems. A small to medium (window) room A/C would have been heaven during Katrina!! I want get caught again. :ermm: I don't think!!

I better get a move on............:LOL:

I’d use a window unit too....much cheaper, but many people don’t like the look of them. I’ve lived in worse, so a window unit won’t kill me. :)

You mention extended power outage and AC in the same sentence? Are you using a generator when the power fails?

kelton said:
You mention extended power outage and AC in the same sentence? Are you using a generator when the power fails?

Yeah buddy!!! 3 of them. One(can be) tied into the house. 2 portable for smaller needs, and out building with refrigerator and freeze. Down on the bayou you have a generator(s) before you buy a TV ;)

When it's really hot, we have chicken salad sandwiches like those from Jason's Deli (with pineapple and toasted almond slivers) with a good can or jar of soup, such as La Madeleine Tomato Basil and maybe a bowl of chilled fresh fruit or berries. Thankfully, if I serve at least one thing that is hot, even if it's just store bought soup, my kids think it's a yummy dinner.

As far as the A/C, I'm surprised to learn so many of you have old houses, too. When I lived in MA, we didn't have A/C but it was really only miserably hot a few weeks a year so it didn't justify the expense of trying to install it in a 100 yr. old house. Here, my house is only 85 years old and has central A/C upstairs. I guess it was too hard to try and re-wire and find places for ducting in the downstairs. Still, it was designed for Texas heat so it has wide, low overhanging eaves, lots of tall trees and a basement that stays quite cool. I've lusted over the A/C units you pictured, keltin, for my un-airconditioned kitchen, but I'd have to deal with the whole re-wiring issue. So for now, it's soup & sandwiches or cook naked in the summer!

Fisher's Mom said:
As far as the A/C, I'm surprised to learn so many of you have old houses, too. When I lived in MA, we didn't have A/C but it was really only miserably hot a few weeks a year so it didn't justify the expense of trying to install it in a 100 yr. old house. Here, my house is only 85 years old and has central A/C upstairs. I guess it was too hard to try and re-wire and find places for ducting in the downstairs. Still, it was designed for Texas heat so it has wide, low overhanging eaves, lots of tall trees and a basement that stays quite cool. I've lusted over the A/C units you pictured, keltin, for my un-airconditioned kitchen, but I'd have to deal with the whole re-wiring issue. So for now, it's soup & sandwiches or cook naked in the summer!

My house was built in 1910 and we just had central A/C put in the downstairs last summer. We have a crawl space, so all the ducting is under the house. Then we have one window unit on the staircase landing that takes care of the bedrooms upstairs. I'm so much happier now :D

Fisher's Mom said:
When it's really hot, we have chicken salad sandwiches like those from Jason's Deli (with pineapple and toasted almond slivers) with a good can or jar of soup, such as La Madeleine Tomato Basil and maybe a bowl of chilled fresh fruit or berries. Thankfully, if I serve at least one thing that is hot, even if it's just store bought soup, my kids think it's a yummy dinner.

Oh do I LOVE Jason's Deli, it is a must stop whenever I am in the Dallas area. When we have extreme heat like we are experiencing right now, I don't feel like grilling. Its like grilling in an oven, terribly hot. I hadn't considered using the crockpot to make dinner, but I'm gonna haul that sucker out.

Someone asked the question about where you could live with no A/C - visited Boone NC last July and slept with the windows open - no humidity, breezy and cool at night. I couldn't believe how comfortable it was.

Thank heavens we have an excellent cooling system. I'm taking a couple of medications that make me extra sensitive to the heat, so I don't stick my head out the door if I don't have to.
I do remember those nights when the sheets were soaking wet with sweat, though, and the times when I was so hot by the time I got supper fixed that I didn't feel like eating it.

Our electric rates have soared here, and I sure don't want my kitchen stove battling the AC, so I use my crock-pot and microwave a lot. Although DH likes the charcoal grill better, we do have a gas grill right outside the dining room door on a shady deck, so we can also use that.

We don't crave heavy foods in weather like this, whether we have to be out in the heat or not. We eat a lot of salads (all kinds), sandwiches, and casseroles that I can do in the microwave. If DH cooks something on the grill, he fills it up so we'll have meat for several nights.

By the way, did you know you can make excellent garlic bread in a skillet?

All I can say , is if we can fill our tummy's is what counts - no matter what it is ! There's always tomorrow and cooler weather on its way.

I, too, live in an old home (1854); have lived here 6 years. Most of the time our very hot weather is about a month long (a day or two here and there before then, then a good solid month -- which we are in the middle of). We have window A/C units in the rooms where we relax; our master bedroom and the family room, and then one in the guest room. I don't like them much (noisy and ugly), but do need to sleep at night. The kitchen is of course the hottest room. Retrofitting an old house with A/C is prohibitive, but those mitsubishi units look good. Maybe when we start collecting SS to supplement our income.

But the original question. Grilling out aside, I shorten a lot of cooking times by what I call pre-nuking. I'll cook items in the microwave until "almost done", then finish on the stove or in the oven in minutes, although I rarely do use the oven. Then there is the opposite. I tend to wake early, and work in the kitchen before it gets too hot -- cook pasta for pasta salads, stuff like that; or cook things to nuke at dinner time. I also do laundry then (as in many old homes, the downstairs bath and laundry facilities are off the kitchen). By the heat of the day, I try to be through with my hottest jobs and sitting in front of the family room (actually, it is the back parlor, as opposed to the "formal" front parlor) window A/C unit.

Lots of fans help.

Lots of salads. I'll never forget meeting people when I was younger ... the husbands had to have a hot, meat-and-potatoes meal every night. Thank heaven my husband is thrilled with a salad nicoise, Greek salad, Cobb, or something of my own creation.

Near East couscous and taboule packages are very simple. Pour hot water over them in the morning, and by dinner you have a cool, refreshing base for many hearty cool meals.

Company

Thanks, seems everyone does feel the same way I do about cooking when outside seems to be hotter than my oven! All your comments sure were interesting and educational. I am thankful to be able to ask DC people about my trivial matters. My complaints are unanimous!

Most of you like the old homes. Does make you appreciate what you have and what the former owners didn't have. Remember working and having the flush box up above. You had to pull a chain. Anyone have one of these? Guess since it still worked they never changed it. Who would complain? People used to not have indoor plumbing. I was only too happy not to have to go outside.

Answering me about flow of air resolved the mystery about the high ceilings warm air rises and cool air falls? My brother lives in house that was a farmhouse. Lots of big rooms and high ceilings. I guess going in the basement till the weather changes is okay.

cooking with no clothes on would be really risky. Never fails the doorbell would ring if I did this.

the topic of athletic jerseys got my attention. Are they like polyester material? Maybe you are on to something here. Just be glad you know of someway to remain calm while you have to cook.

Now I don't feel so disgusted about going in the kitchen to cook. I just will avoid the oven like everyone does. I will just repeat over and over again.
I CAN do this. I CAN do this I CAN and WILL do this.

Good luck to all of you and I appreciate all your time and comments.

Just another thought on the heat wave...

No matter how hot we think it is here, think about our troops in Iraq, where the heat gets up to 120 degrees and more, and they have to wear all that combat gear.

Reality

Constance said:

No matter how hot we think it is here, think about our troops in Iraq, where the heat gets up to 120 degrees and more, and they have to wear all that combat gear.

that is so true, Constance. Those young men deserve a lot more thoughts and prayers than I allow. It tends to really make me bitter to know that a young person has to be there at all. I do wonder why? The reasons given are being questioned constantly. Who tells the truth nowadays? This heat is only temporary, they have it everyday.

Ordering one shirt to try out is worth it to me. Just to see if it makes big difference. Thank you for suggesting this thread. I don't get to shop in the stores much. Only when you have someone as you do involved in sports that the light turns on. Thanks for suggestion Constance on both accounts. I am really not ungrateful just maybe trying to think positive thoughts about life. Not very easy.

Constance said:

You sure said a mouthful! Everyone was huffin' and puffin' this morning, and exasperated about the heat. Definitely NOT keeping that in mind.

In this weather we cook on top the stove, and quickly, at that! Sauteed fish fillets, pasta with fresh tomato sauce, lots and lots of salads! :)

ITK, my athletic jerseys are Starter jerseys (brand name), without any logos or team affiliations (I refuse to support pro sports). They are 100% polyester, with a weave that has lots of holes in them. Now, I don't like wearing the polyester pants that I have to wear at work, as it's not an open weave, and doesn't breathe, but the jersey breathes just fine for me, even with a linen chef's jacket over top.

I wouldn't cook in the buff at home, not because I'd be worried about someone coming to the door, but because after you've cooked bacon, in the buff, once, you'll never repeat that mistake.

And no, I've never done that.

I wouldn't cook in the buff at home, not because I'd be worried about someone coming to the door, but because after you've cooked bacon, in the buff, once, you'll never repeat that mistake.

And no, I've never done that.

I dunno Allen, sounds like the voice of experience to me!:huh:

See?

AllenOK, working as a chef in a kitchen is not easy. Anytime someone mentions kitchen I think of stress, anxiety, frustration, sweat,etc. All the things one should avoid in order to remain healthy. Hearing you mention the jersys and giving me the link sure is helpful and I will take you suggestion and see how it works. (Hope I get it before the weather changes in October) You can see my confidence in depending on others to do their job, which involves me, is gone. Seems I can't depend on a company to fill an order as they should. Maybe this one will prove me wrong. Thanks AllenOK for your thoughts.

Alix, maybe you know AllenOK better than we do! He must at least wear his jersey?

In the Kitchen said:
Now I don't feel so disgusted about going in the kitchen to cook. I just will avoid the oven like everyone does. I will just repeat over and over again. I CAN do this. I CAN do this I CAN and WILL do this.

Good luck to all of you and I appreciate all your time and comments.

One other thing: I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen, and the moving air makes it much more comfortable while cooking in there than it would be otherwise. In fact, we have four ceiling fans downstairs and three upstairs.

My mother really was a dreadful cook; she hated cooking and it showed. BUT, on really hot days, for dinner, she fixed ice cream and fresh fruit;) :-p

Back
Top Bottom