Cooking in a heat wave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fans

GotGarlic said:
One other thing: I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen, and the moving air makes it much more comfortable while cooking in there than it would be otherwise. In fact, we have four ceiling fans downstairs and three upstairs.

I am sure that would make difference but do you have gas or electric stove? When I tried to move a fan in my kitchen, the gas burner would be blowing all over. Maybe the reason is my kitchen isn't that big.

bethzring;I bet you look forward to the ice cream and fruit. You probably like the hot weather! What about you, do you like to cook or you feel the same way as your mother did? Probably not else you wouldn't be interested in this site with different recipes.

Anyway they say it won't get up past 100 today. Let's see how good they are! I sure haven't turned the oven on since I made a roast. I just don't know why there aren't leftovers when I need them.

In the Kitchen said:
I am sure that would make difference but do you have gas or electric stove? When I tried to move a fan in my kitchen, the gas burner would be blowing all over. Maybe the reason is my kitchen isn't that big.

I have a gas stove and the fan is fairly close to it, but if the fan is on medium or low, I don't have a problem with the burner blowing around. Usually the breeze is worse when the window over the sink is open :)

I forgot to mention, that there are some nice shirts available that have the "cool-weave" type cloth as panels, on part of the back, and under the arms. They have a collar, and usually a logo of some kind on the front. I've seen the golf pros at work wear them. They would look a little more "professional", especially if they're outdoors.

Alix, no, that isn't the voice of experience talking, but the voice of experience from watching a few crudely humorous TV shows :) Besides, I'm to "furry" to cook without a shirt on, much less without anything else.

Putting a fan into a kitchen does set up air currents that will play havoc with gas stoves. Heck, when I went to college, the pastry kitchen (with as much floor-space as the average home) had a huge exhaust fan, and that would set up an air current that created a hot spot on one side of a pot used to make peanut brittle. The baking instructor (who made the candy) would always turn off the exhaust fan so he could make 100 lbs of the candy. One of the students I studied with couldn't tolerate not having an exhaust fan on (this was in December, to boot), and ended up skipping the rest of the class.

Personally, I've learned to live with the heat. Stay away from caffeine, alcohol (shouldn't be drinking at work anyways), drink lots of water or Gatorade, etc. I wear a jersey under my work jacket, and have noticed that I feel much cooler than if I was wearing a cotton knit t-shirt under the jacket.

Yes, it's stressful. Timing, tickets coming in, the expo asking questions and wanting answers right then, other cooks saying what they have available, or how long for a particular item, and I have to answer back to them as well. You have to be able to calculate times in your head, etc. Luckily, we have a well-trained crew at night, so we don't have many screw-ups, and when we do have one, we get it fixed in a hurry, no arguing or fighting, just get it done.

Another trick I've seen cooks do, is take a quart-sized ziplock baggie, fill it with ice, and wrap it up in a large towel, then drape the towel over they're neck. I've also seen a product, usually made out of a hankerchief, with some sort of gel inside, that you keep cold, and wrap around your neck when it starts to get hot. I've also seen cooks just dump a glass of water over their head.

Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are on my mind big time these days. As many of you know, there is a major heat wave with high humidity affecting most of the eastern part of the country. I work in a hot kitchen. There is a big PGA tourney at a different country club here in Tulsa this week (Tiger is here!). The news has been going on and on about the dangers of high heat and high humidity. I believe EMS treated 9 folks for heat exhaustion at the tourney on Monday, and 18 folks Tuesday. I haven't seen the news about how many folks were treated Wednesday. Monday, a railroad worker died from heat stroke in southern OK. When EMS got to him, his core body temp was 108.

Heat like this isn't anything to laugh at, folks. Stay hydrated, stay cool.

Last edited:
AllenOK said:
I've also seen a product, usually made out of a hankerchief, with some sort of gel inside, that you keep cold, and wrap around your neck when it starts to get hot.
This is a great product. My MIL gave me one when I took up golf. It's amazing how it keeps you cool and comfortable, even in extreme heat. I used it when the place where I work ran a golf tournament as a fundraiser and on the appointed day, the temp was 98 or 99 with a heat index of around 110. You soak it in water and the gel balls inside soak up the water; then you put it in the freezer. When frozen, wrap it around your neck like a neckerchief.

I read once that one thing it does is cool the carotid artery which takes blood to the brain, thereby cooling the brain. Cool :cool:

AllenOK said:
I've also seen a product, usually made out of a hankerchief, with some sort of gel inside, that you keep cold, and wrap around your neck when it starts to get hot.

Wow, I’ve never heard of the cool neck wraps. What a cool idea and many different variations to choose from.

One here.

Another one.

Yet another one.

Although that last one looks a bit restrictive for my tastes. To much like a dog collar!

I had forgotten about the gel neck wraps. I made a lot of them when my sons were fencing, often in un-airconditioned venues. You can buy the gel in bulk then sew it into a purchased bandana or any tightly woven fabric. They were great. I made sure we kept a lot of them in an ice chest so that the boys could change them out whenever they lost their chill. I think I'll drag them out for my kitchen. Thanks for reminding me.

In the Kitchen said:
bethzring;I bet you look forward to the ice cream and fruit. You probably like the hot weather! What about you, do you like to cook or you feel the same way as your mother did? Probably not else you wouldn't be interested in this site with different recipes.

:LOL: :LOL: I sure did look forward to the ice cream meal as a kid, Mom couldn't mess that one up..

All three of us kids have an above interest in food and cooking, we all love to garden and cook. I started cooking the day I left home at 17:)

bethzaring said:
:LOL: :LOL: I sure did look forward to the ice cream meal as a kid, Mom couldn't mess that one up..

All three of us kids have an above interest in food and cooking, we all love to garden and cook. I started cooking the day I left home at 17:)
:ROFLMAO: My mom was a horrible cook so I lived on peanut butter sandwiches, which I still love. I got married at 15 and my poor husband was pretty shocked at the idea of peanut butter and a glass of milk being a complete meal!

Great!

Thanks for all the input about the different ways to accept the heat and keep cool. The fan in the kitchen sounds like something I would like to try but as I said the fan I had on the floor made the gas burner blow all over. If it were up above I don't know how it would work.

Allen you have such good ideas about being able to work in a confined area. I am sure you HAVE to get along when others are counting on you to do your part. I imagine you can eat something they fix if you want to can't you? The gel packs are something to try also. I just wonder how Tiger does it in this heat? You think playing a sport like golf takes his mind off the sweat? I am sure he sweats.

I am sure thankful you all are interested in helping each other. It sure has helped me as I said before. My mom never did give us ice cream but she made plenty of corn bread and gravy for us to eat. I do remember she made us eat soup when it was hot too. She knew how to cook without a recipe.

I don't even know what the temp is right now, only hear the air conditioner not ever stopping. I hold my breath when it does stop until it goes back on again. Paranoid!

Heat Wave=Ice Cold beer or margarita, good corn chips, a variety of salsas, guacamole and some steamed shrimp. that is all we have done the past 3 nights, and I am NOT complaining!

TATTRAT said:
Heat Wave=Ice Cold beer or margarita, good corn chips, a variety of salsas, guacamole and some steamed shrimp. that is all we have done the past 3 nights, and I am NOT complaining!

That sounds like a great menu. All I need is some corn chips and we're good to go for dinner tonight.

Oh, I can't imagine living w/out AC. Love the heat but this heat wave is way too much to grin and bear in IMO. Anyway, I pretty much lose my appetite for hot food when the heat and humidity reach this level. I've been making sandwiches, eating cereal and fruit etc. The grill is way too hot to stand in front of! I'm trying not to complain cuz old man winter will be here soon enough!!

In the Kitchen said:
Allen you have such good ideas about being able to work in a confined area. I am sure you HAVE to get along when others are counting on you to do your part. I imagine you can eat something they fix if you want to can't you? The gel packs are something to try also. I just wonder how Tiger does it in this heat? You think playing a sport like golf takes his mind off the sweat? I am sure he sweats.

We all pretty much get along as it is, so teamwork is a good thing. I've worked with folks I had a personality conflict with, and that is always a tough thing.

We have a basic, unspoken rule in restaurants. Cooks don't cook for other cooks. We get free meals, but not everything is considered "fair game". Steaks, seafood, etc., are "off-limits", unless you're management.

Usually, if there's a buffet coming back, it's the de facto employee meal.

I just saw a newspaper article yesterday that stated Mr. Woods does 3 - 5 two-hour workouts a week, not counting rounds of golf. That's explains his physique. I'm sure Mr. Woods handles the heat just like everybody else does. Frequent bottles of water and/or sports drink, and a few stops to a misting fan, with pit stops in an air-conditioned room every now and then.

One of the news broadcasts earlier this week mentioned that of the 5 previous PGA Major tourneys this club has hosted, 3 have been on the hottest 5 tourneys in PGA history. This one will make #4 out of 6.

This "Omega-blocking pattern", a ridge of high-pressure air the diverts the jet stream up north, and prevents t-storms from forming, is our standard weather pattern for summer here in OK. I'm used to it. Pretty much day after day of hot, humid, no rain, little clouds, etc. The weather pattern will probably change sometime in late September or early October.

Complaining!

PytnPlace said:
Oh, I can't imagine living w/out AC. Love the heat but this heat wave is way too much to grin and bear in IMO. Anyway, I pretty much lose my appetite for hot food when the heat and humidity reach this level. I've been making sandwiches, eating cereal and fruit etc. The grill is way too hot to stand in front of! I'm trying not to complain cuz old man winter will be here soon enough!!

PytnPlace- since you brought it up about winter, you reminded me of something I wanted to ignore right now. Well, yesterday the gas company sent me a bill telling me my 'budget billing' amount will increase to $56 more every month beginning next month. My brothers is supposed to be over $100. I really don't understand how they can figure this out cause she said had increase just this month on cost and hard winter last year figured in to calculations. So if anything will make me feel more 'hot' is to receive a bill that is going to be higher. If only I could conserve the heat in the house for the winter. People invent things all the time don't you think it should be simple to do?

We have been doing pretty well without the oven so far. Using the microwave more. I haven't gotten to the point to serve ice cream. I just wonder what the family would think? One thing for sure our memories of the past come back when we are going through something we don't like.

AllenOK thanks for your recommendations on the shirts. I will let you know how they are.

This thread has had me thinking of inventing something. For those in an old house, do you have a fireplace? Imagine an invention of sorts that would mount to the fireplace so that you could put a window unit in the fireplace. The exhaust (hot air) would be blown into the fireplace and out the chimney while the cold air was pushed into the room......and all of it done without having a unit hang in a window thus it's never seen and doesn’t detract from the aesthetics of your home.

It would be easily mounted and easily removed so that you could take it out for winter and store it in the garage, basement, etc.

Interesting concept. Surely there is a way to do this.......and get rich doing it!

keltin said:
This thread has had me thinking of inventing something. For those in an old house, do you have a fireplace? Imagine an invention of sorts that would mount to the fireplace so that you could put a window unit in the fireplace. The exhaust (hot air) would be blown into the fireplace and out the chimney while the cold air was pushed into the room......and all of it done without having a unit hang in a window thus it's never seen and doesn’t detract from the aesthetics of your home.

It would be easily mounted and easily removed so that you could take it out for winter and store it in the garage, basement, etc.

Interesting concept. Surely there is a way to do this.......and get rich doing it!
Oooooh, sign me up! That's a great idea! Could you adapt a purchased window unit to create a prototype?

Keltin, I live in a town where something like 85% of the homes are over 100 years old (for those of you in Europe, I know you think, "Big Deal", but in even older cities in the US most people have moved to the 'burbs and the old buildings are businesses or homes for the wealthy). MANY people do not like to use their old fireplaces (sometimes they can be expensive to retrofit for safety). Anyway, the fireplaces and old stove chimneys are often used as part of the air conditioning ductwork. Your idea sounds more interesting. I hate the looks of the window A/C units, but cannot live without them and could never afford to retrofit central A/C.

I, too, have a ceiling fan in my kitchen; however, I have an electric stove. I wouldn't trade the combination for anything. yes, I know that gas is "better" for more professional results. Much as I love to cook, when I want professional results I guess I'll go to an air conditioned restaurant and let someone else sweat!!! When I had gas stoves, even with central air sometimes the air conditioner couldn't keep up and keep the kitchen comfortable (they put out a lot more BTUs to begin with, and more of the heat goes into the air, whereas with my flat top electric, most of the heat goes straight into the pot). So the combination works for me, especially since my house is so old it has no exhaust fan. The ceiling fan is a lifesaver (plus a regular one placed in the window, facing out, for dishes that smoke).

Claire said:
Keltin, I live in a town where something like 85% of the homes are over 100 years old (for those of you in Europe, I know you think, "Big Deal", but in even older cities in the US most people have moved to the 'burbs and the old buildings are businesses or homes for the wealthy). MANY people do not like to use their old fireplaces (sometimes they can be expensive to retrofit for safety). Anyway, the fireplaces and old stove chimneys are often used as part of the air conditioning ductwork. Your idea sounds more interesting. I hate the looks of the window A/C units, but cannot live without them and could never afford to retrofit central A/C.

I, too, have a ceiling fan in my kitchen; however, I have an electric stove. I wouldn't trade the combination for anything. yes, I know that gas is "better" for more professional results. Much as I love to cook, when I want professional results I guess I'll go to an air conditioned restaurant and let someone else sweat!!! When I had gas stoves, even with central air sometimes the air conditioner couldn't keep up and keep the kitchen comfortable (they put out a lot more BTUs to begin with, and more of the heat goes into the air, whereas with my flat top electric, most of the heat goes straight into the pot). So the combination works for me, especially since my house is so old it has no exhaust fan. The ceiling fan is a lifesaver (plus a regular one placed in the window, facing out, for dishes that smoke).
You're right Claire, I don't use my fireplace because I'm afraid of chimney fires and it really doesn't put out much heat for this big old house. So to fit it with a portable a/c system would give it a new purpose - I love that!

I have a gas stove here and even the vent hood on high makes the gas flame go wild. Ditto with a small table fan if it's anywhere near the stove. I have a little house at the coast that only has one window unit but I have ceiling fans in every room in the house, including the kitchen. Even in the dog days of summer, it's great in the kitchen with the ceiling fan! But like you, I have an electric stove there. I wish I could put a ceiling fan in my kitchen here because I'd sure use the kitchen a little more in the summer!

It has been over 100 here all week and is supposed to be that next week too. I am sorry for anyone without AC right now. I have been having salads, and grilled things. Because I have so much canning to do right now, the kitchen (with gas burners) is hot enough (the AC can't keep up) without turning on the oven. I have also done a few crock pot things without it making it too much worse. I do not like winter, but this has been a rough summer in my area.

Shopping

Had to go to the store for my brother who is disabled. All the people there were so happy to be out of the house claiming this heat is just like in the winter, don't want to go out. They told me they got tired of looking at one another and not knowing what was happening around them. So strange the way the weather affects the mood of people.

My other brother has old home and he is the one who goes into the basement. He has air conditioner we had when I first got married. The thing need freon or something cause it is only blowing air around. He claims it works. I know he is starting to get affected by the heat but do you think he will admit it? No, he said we used to get along without it when we were young. We even went to the park to sleep too. I sure wouldn't go there today to sleep much less walk around. I know society has changed and I am thankful to have had experience I did. Everyone thinks I don't know what I am talking about when I tell them this. Of course, most of the people I went to the park with are gone.

As someone commented before heat supposed to be here for most of next week too. This does give one cause to think about not using the oven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom