"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Company

Thanks, seems everyone does feel the same way I do about cooking when outside seems to be hotter than my oven! All your comments sure were interesting and educational. I am thankful to be able to ask DC people about my trivial matters. My complaints are unanimous!

Most of you like the old homes. Does make you appreciate what you have and what the former owners didn't have. Remember working and having the flush box up above. You had to pull a chain. Anyone have one of these? Guess since it still worked they never changed it. Who would complain? People used to not have indoor plumbing. I was only too happy not to have to go outside.

Answering me about flow of air resolved the mystery about the high ceilings warm air rises and cool air falls? My brother lives in house that was a farmhouse. Lots of big rooms and high ceilings. I guess going in the basement till the weather changes is okay.

cooking with no clothes on would be really risky. Never fails the doorbell would ring if I did this.

the topic of athletic jerseys got my attention. Are they like polyester material? Maybe you are on to something here. Just be glad you know of someway to remain calm while you have to cook.

Now I don't feel so disgusted about going in the kitchen to cook. I just will avoid the oven like everyone does. I will just repeat over and over again.
I CAN do this. I CAN do this I CAN and WILL do this.

Good luck to all of you and I appreciate all your time and comments.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #32
Master Chef

Kitchen, I found out about the athletic jerseys when my grandson was playing football. They called it "under armour". It's some kind of new high tech fabric that wicks away the perspiration and helps cool the body.

Under Armour Heat Gear Full T-Shirt-White 0039 @ GoBros.com

Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #33
Master Chef

Just another thought on the heat wave...

No matter how hot we think it is here, think about our troops in Iraq, where the heat gets up to 120 degrees and more, and they have to wear all that combat gear.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance

No matter how hot we think it is here, think about our troops in Iraq, where the heat gets up to 120 degrees and more, and they have to wear all that combat gear.
that is so true, Constance. Those young men deserve a lot more thoughts and prayers than I allow. It tends to really make me bitter to know that a young person has to be there at all. I do wonder why? The reasons given are being questioned constantly. Who tells the truth nowadays? This heat is only temporary, they have it everyday.

Ordering one shirt to try out is worth it to me. Just to see if it makes big difference. Thank you for suggesting this thread. I don't get to shop in the stores much. Only when you have someone as you do involved in sports that the light turns on. Thanks for suggestion Constance on both accounts. I am really not ungrateful just maybe trying to think positive thoughts about life. Not very easy.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #35
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance

You sure said a mouthful! Everyone was huffin' and puffin' this morning, and exasperated about the heat. Definitely NOT keeping that in mind.

In this weather we cook on top the stove, and quickly, at that! Sauteed fish fillets, pasta with fresh tomato sauce, lots and lots of salads!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #36
Executive Chef

ITK, my athletic jerseys are Starter jerseys (brand name), without any logos or team affiliations (I refuse to support pro sports). They are 100% polyester, with a weave that has lots of holes in them. Now, I don't like wearing the polyester pants that I have to wear at work, as it's not an open weave, and doesn't breathe, but the jersey breathes just fine for me, even with a linen chef's jacket over top.

I wouldn't cook in the buff at home, not because I'd be worried about someone coming to the door, but because after you've cooked bacon, in the buff, once, you'll never repeat that mistake.

And no, I've never done that.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #37
Everymom

Quote:
I wouldn't cook in the buff at home, not because I'd be worried about someone coming to the door, but because after you've cooked bacon, in the buff, once, you'll never repeat that mistake.

And no, I've never done that.
I dunno Allen, sounds like the voice of experience to me!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #38
Executive Chef

See?

AllenOK, working as a chef in a kitchen is not easy. Anytime someone mentions kitchen I think of stress, anxiety, frustration, sweat,etc. All the things one should avoid in order to remain healthy. Hearing you mention the jersys and giving me the link sure is helpful and I will take you suggestion and see how it works. (Hope I get it before the weather changes in October) You can see my confidence in depending on others to do their job, which involves me, is gone. Seems I can't depend on a company to fill an order as they should. Maybe this one will prove me wrong. Thanks AllenOK for your thoughts.

Alix, maybe you know AllenOK better than we do! He must at least wear his jersey?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Now I don't feel so disgusted about going in the kitchen to cook. I just will avoid the oven like everyone does. I will just repeat over and over again. I CAN do this. I CAN do this I CAN and WILL do this.

Good luck to all of you and I appreciate all your time and comments.
One other thing: I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen, and the moving air makes it much more comfortable while cooking in there than it would be otherwise. In fact, we have four ceiling fans downstairs and three upstairs.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #40
Executive Chef

My mother really was a dreadful cook; she hated cooking and it showed. BUT, on really hot days, for dinner, she fixed ice cream and fresh fruit