"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic
One other thing: I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen, and the moving air makes it much more comfortable while cooking in there than it would be otherwise. In fact, we have four ceiling fans downstairs and three upstairs.
I am sure that would make difference but do you have gas or electric stove? When I tried to move a fan in my kitchen, the gas burner would be blowing all over. Maybe the reason is my kitchen isn't that big.

bethzring;I bet you look forward to the ice cream and fruit. You probably like the hot weather! What about you, do you like to cook or you feel the same way as your mother did? Probably not else you wouldn't be interested in this site with different recipes.

Anyway they say it won't get up past 100 today. Let's see how good they are! I sure haven't turned the oven on since I made a roast. I just don't know why there aren't leftovers when I need them.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
I am sure that would make difference but do you have gas or electric stove? When I tried to move a fan in my kitchen, the gas burner would be blowing all over. Maybe the reason is my kitchen isn't that big.
I have a gas stove and the fan is fairly close to it, but if the fan is on medium or low, I don't have a problem with the burner blowing around. Usually the breeze is worse when the window over the sink is open

Old 08-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #43
Executive Chef

I forgot to mention, that there are some nice shirts available that have the "cool-weave" type cloth as panels, on part of the back, and under the arms. They have a collar, and usually a logo of some kind on the front. I've seen the golf pros at work wear them. They would look a little more "professional", especially if they're outdoors.

Alix, no, that isn't the voice of experience talking, but the voice of experience from watching a few crudely humorous TV shows :) Besides, I'm to "furry" to cook without a shirt on, much less without anything else.

Putting a fan into a kitchen does set up air currents that will play havoc with gas stoves. Heck, when I went to college, the pastry kitchen (with as much floor-space as the average home) had a huge exhaust fan, and that would set up an air current that created a hot spot on one side of a pot used to make peanut brittle. The baking instructor (who made the candy) would always turn off the exhaust fan so he could make 100 lbs of the candy. One of the students I studied with couldn't tolerate not having an exhaust fan on (this was in December, to boot), and ended up skipping the rest of the class.

Personally, I've learned to live with the heat. Stay away from caffeine, alcohol (shouldn't be drinking at work anyways), drink lots of water or Gatorade, etc. I wear a jersey under my work jacket, and have noticed that I feel much cooler than if I was wearing a cotton knit t-shirt under the jacket.

Yes, it's stressful. Timing, tickets coming in, the expo asking questions and wanting answers right then, other cooks saying what they have available, or how long for a particular item, and I have to answer back to them as well. You have to be able to calculate times in your head, etc. Luckily, we have a well-trained crew at night, so we don't have many screw-ups, and when we do have one, we get it fixed in a hurry, no arguing or fighting, just get it done.

Another trick I've seen cooks do, is take a quart-sized ziplock baggie, fill it with ice, and wrap it up in a large towel, then drape the towel over they're neck. I've also seen a product, usually made out of a hankerchief, with some sort of gel inside, that you keep cold, and wrap around your neck when it starts to get hot. I've also seen cooks just dump a glass of water over their head.

Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are on my mind big time these days. As many of you know, there is a major heat wave with high humidity affecting most of the eastern part of the country. I work in a hot kitchen. There is a big PGA tourney at a different country club here in Tulsa this week (Tiger is here!). The news has been going on and on about the dangers of high heat and high humidity. I believe EMS treated 9 folks for heat exhaustion at the tourney on Monday, and 18 folks Tuesday. I haven't seen the news about how many folks were treated Wednesday. Monday, a railroad worker died from heat stroke in southern OK. When EMS got to him, his core body temp was 108.

Heat like this isn't anything to laugh at, folks. Stay hydrated, stay cool.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
I've also seen a product, usually made out of a hankerchief, with some sort of gel inside, that you keep cold, and wrap around your neck when it starts to get hot.
This is a great product. My MIL gave me one when I took up golf. It's amazing how it keeps you cool and comfortable, even in extreme heat. I used it when the place where I work ran a golf tournament as a fundraiser and on the appointed day, the temp was 98 or 99 with a heat index of around 110. You soak it in water and the gel balls inside soak up the water; then you put it in the freezer. When frozen, wrap it around your neck like a neckerchief.

I read once that one thing it does is cool the carotid artery which takes blood to the brain, thereby cooling the brain. Cool
Old 08-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #45
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
I've also seen a product, usually made out of a hankerchief, with some sort of gel inside, that you keep cold, and wrap around your neck when it starts to get hot.
Wow, Iíve never heard of the cool neck wraps. What a cool idea and many different variations to choose from.

One here.

Another one.

Yet another one.

Although that last one looks a bit restrictive for my tastes. To much like a dog collar!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #46
Executive Chef

I had forgotten about the gel neck wraps. I made a lot of them when my sons were fencing, often in un-airconditioned venues. You can buy the gel in bulk then sew it into a purchased bandana or any tightly woven fabric. They were great. I made sure we kept a lot of them in an ice chest so that the boys could change them out whenever they lost their chill. I think I'll drag them out for my kitchen. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
bethzring;I bet you look forward to the ice cream and fruit. You probably like the hot weather! What about you, do you like to cook or you feel the same way as your mother did? Probably not else you wouldn't be interested in this site with different recipes.
I sure did look forward to the ice cream meal as a kid, Mom couldn't mess that one up..

All three of us kids have an above interest in food and cooking, we all love to garden and cook. I started cooking the day I left home at 17
Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I sure did look forward to the ice cream meal as a kid, Mom couldn't mess that one up..

All three of us kids have an above interest in food and cooking, we all love to garden and cook. I started cooking the day I left home at 17
My mom was a horrible cook so I lived on peanut butter sandwiches, which I still love. I got married at 15 and my poor husband was pretty shocked at the idea of peanut butter and a glass of milk being a complete meal!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Great!

Thanks for all the input about the different ways to accept the heat and keep cool. The fan in the kitchen sounds like something I would like to try but as I said the fan I had on the floor made the gas burner blow all over. If it were up above I don't know how it would work.

Allen you have such good ideas about being able to work in a confined area. I am sure you HAVE to get along when others are counting on you to do your part. I imagine you can eat something they fix if you want to can't you? The gel packs are something to try also. I just wonder how Tiger does it in this heat? You think playing a sport like golf takes his mind off the sweat? I am sure he sweats.

I am sure thankful you all are interested in helping each other. It sure has helped me as I said before. My mom never did give us ice cream but she made plenty of corn bread and gravy for us to eat. I do remember she made us eat soup when it was hot too. She knew how to cook without a recipe.

I don't even know what the temp is right now, only hear the air conditioner not ever stopping. I hold my breath when it does stop until it goes back on again. Paranoid!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #50
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Heat Wave=Ice Cold beer or margarita, good corn chips, a variety of salsas, guacamole and some steamed shrimp. that is all we have done the past 3 nights, and I am NOT complaining!