"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Heat Wave=Ice Cold beer or margarita, good corn chips, a variety of salsas, guacamole and some steamed shrimp. that is all we have done the past 3 nights, and I am NOT complaining!
That sounds like a great menu. All I need is some corn chips and we're good to go for dinner tonight.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #52
Sous Chef

Oh, I can't imagine living w/out AC. Love the heat but this heat wave is way too much to grin and bear in IMO. Anyway, I pretty much lose my appetite for hot food when the heat and humidity reach this level. I've been making sandwiches, eating cereal and fruit etc. The grill is way too hot to stand in front of! I'm trying not to complain cuz old man winter will be here soon enough!!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Allen you have such good ideas about being able to work in a confined area. I am sure you HAVE to get along when others are counting on you to do your part. I imagine you can eat something they fix if you want to can't you? The gel packs are something to try also. I just wonder how Tiger does it in this heat? You think playing a sport like golf takes his mind off the sweat? I am sure he sweats.
We all pretty much get along as it is, so teamwork is a good thing. I've worked with folks I had a personality conflict with, and that is always a tough thing.

We have a basic, unspoken rule in restaurants. Cooks don't cook for other cooks. We get free meals, but not everything is considered "fair game". Steaks, seafood, etc., are "off-limits", unless you're management.

Usually, if there's a buffet coming back, it's the de facto employee meal.

I just saw a newspaper article yesterday that stated Mr. Woods does 3 - 5 two-hour workouts a week, not counting rounds of golf. That's explains his physique. I'm sure Mr. Woods handles the heat just like everybody else does. Frequent bottles of water and/or sports drink, and a few stops to a misting fan, with pit stops in an air-conditioned room every now and then.

One of the news broadcasts earlier this week mentioned that of the 5 previous PGA Major tourneys this club has hosted, 3 have been on the hottest 5 tourneys in PGA history. This one will make #4 out of 6.

This "Omega-blocking pattern", a ridge of high-pressure air the diverts the jet stream up north, and prevents t-storms from forming, is our standard weather pattern for summer here in OK. I'm used to it. Pretty much day after day of hot, humid, no rain, little clouds, etc. The weather pattern will probably change sometime in late September or early October.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #54
Executive Chef

Complaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace
Oh, I can't imagine living w/out AC. Love the heat but this heat wave is way too much to grin and bear in IMO. Anyway, I pretty much lose my appetite for hot food when the heat and humidity reach this level. I've been making sandwiches, eating cereal and fruit etc. The grill is way too hot to stand in front of! I'm trying not to complain cuz old man winter will be here soon enough!!
PytnPlace- since you brought it up about winter, you reminded me of something I wanted to ignore right now. Well, yesterday the gas company sent me a bill telling me my 'budget billing' amount will increase to $56 more every month beginning next month. My brothers is supposed to be over $100. I really don't understand how they can figure this out cause she said had increase just this month on cost and hard winter last year figured in to calculations. So if anything will make me feel more 'hot' is to receive a bill that is going to be higher. If only I could conserve the heat in the house for the winter. People invent things all the time don't you think it should be simple to do?

We have been doing pretty well without the oven so far. Using the microwave more. I haven't gotten to the point to serve ice cream. I just wonder what the family would think? One thing for sure our memories of the past come back when we are going through something we don't like.

AllenOK thanks for your recommendations on the shirts. I will let you know how they are.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #55
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
This thread has had me thinking of inventing something. For those in an old house, do you have a fireplace? Imagine an invention of sorts that would mount to the fireplace so that you could put a window unit in the fireplace. The exhaust (hot air) would be blown into the fireplace and out the chimney while the cold air was pushed into the room......and all of it done without having a unit hang in a window thus it's never seen and doesn’t detract from the aesthetics of your home.

It would be easily mounted and easily removed so that you could take it out for winter and store it in the garage, basement, etc.

Interesting concept. Surely there is a way to do this.......and get rich doing it!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
This thread has had me thinking of inventing something. For those in an old house, do you have a fireplace? Imagine an invention of sorts that would mount to the fireplace so that you could put a window unit in the fireplace. The exhaust (hot air) would be blown into the fireplace and out the chimney while the cold air was pushed into the room......and all of it done without having a unit hang in a window thus it's never seen and doesn’t detract from the aesthetics of your home.

It would be easily mounted and easily removed so that you could take it out for winter and store it in the garage, basement, etc.

Interesting concept. Surely there is a way to do this.......and get rich doing it!
Oooooh, sign me up! That's a great idea! Could you adapt a purchased window unit to create a prototype?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #57
Master Chef

Keltin, I live in a town where something like 85% of the homes are over 100 years old (for those of you in Europe, I know you think, "Big Deal", but in even older cities in the US most people have moved to the 'burbs and the old buildings are businesses or homes for the wealthy). MANY people do not like to use their old fireplaces (sometimes they can be expensive to retrofit for safety). Anyway, the fireplaces and old stove chimneys are often used as part of the air conditioning ductwork. Your idea sounds more interesting. I hate the looks of the window A/C units, but cannot live without them and could never afford to retrofit central A/C.

I, too, have a ceiling fan in my kitchen; however, I have an electric stove. I wouldn't trade the combination for anything. yes, I know that gas is "better" for more professional results. Much as I love to cook, when I want professional results I guess I'll go to an air conditioned restaurant and let someone else sweat!!! When I had gas stoves, even with central air sometimes the air conditioner couldn't keep up and keep the kitchen comfortable (they put out a lot more BTUs to begin with, and more of the heat goes into the air, whereas with my flat top electric, most of the heat goes straight into the pot). So the combination works for me, especially since my house is so old it has no exhaust fan. The ceiling fan is a lifesaver (plus a regular one placed in the window, facing out, for dishes that smoke).
Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Keltin, I live in a town where something like 85% of the homes are over 100 years old (for those of you in Europe, I know you think, "Big Deal", but in even older cities in the US most people have moved to the 'burbs and the old buildings are businesses or homes for the wealthy). MANY people do not like to use their old fireplaces (sometimes they can be expensive to retrofit for safety). Anyway, the fireplaces and old stove chimneys are often used as part of the air conditioning ductwork. Your idea sounds more interesting. I hate the looks of the window A/C units, but cannot live without them and could never afford to retrofit central A/C.

I, too, have a ceiling fan in my kitchen; however, I have an electric stove. I wouldn't trade the combination for anything. yes, I know that gas is "better" for more professional results. Much as I love to cook, when I want professional results I guess I'll go to an air conditioned restaurant and let someone else sweat!!! When I had gas stoves, even with central air sometimes the air conditioner couldn't keep up and keep the kitchen comfortable (they put out a lot more BTUs to begin with, and more of the heat goes into the air, whereas with my flat top electric, most of the heat goes straight into the pot). So the combination works for me, especially since my house is so old it has no exhaust fan. The ceiling fan is a lifesaver (plus a regular one placed in the window, facing out, for dishes that smoke).
You're right Claire, I don't use my fireplace because I'm afraid of chimney fires and it really doesn't put out much heat for this big old house. So to fit it with a portable a/c system would give it a new purpose - I love that!

I have a gas stove here and even the vent hood on high makes the gas flame go wild. Ditto with a small table fan if it's anywhere near the stove. I have a little house at the coast that only has one window unit but I have ceiling fans in every room in the house, including the kitchen. Even in the dog days of summer, it's great in the kitchen with the ceiling fan! But like you, I have an electric stove there. I wish I could put a ceiling fan in my kitchen here because I'd sure use the kitchen a little more in the summer!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #59
Senior Cook

It has been over 100 here all week and is supposed to be that next week too. I am sorry for anyone without AC right now. I have been having salads, and grilled things. Because I have so much canning to do right now, the kitchen (with gas burners) is hot enough (the AC can't keep up) without turning on the oven. I have also done a few crock pot things without it making it too much worse. I do not like winter, but this has been a rough summer in my area.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Shopping

Had to go to the store for my brother who is disabled. All the people there were so happy to be out of the house claiming this heat is just like in the winter, don't want to go out. They told me they got tired of looking at one another and not knowing what was happening around them. So strange the way the weather affects the mood of people.

My other brother has old home and he is the one who goes into the basement. He has air conditioner we had when I first got married. The thing need freon or something cause it is only blowing air around. He claims it works. I know he is starting to get affected by the heat but do you think he will admit it? No, he said we used to get along without it when we were young. We even went to the park to sleep too. I sure wouldn't go there today to sleep much less walk around. I know society has changed and I am thankful to have had experience I did. Everyone thinks I don't know what I am talking about when I tell them this. Of course, most of the people I went to the park with are gone.

As someone commented before heat supposed to be here for most of next week too. This does give one cause to think about not using the oven.