Cooking Mishaps!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vickie1388

Assistant Cook
Hey people ..

Some time .. we would have had a mishap while cooking.. so lets share it!

n Let me be the first one to share.

I tried out Cooking Naan in a pressure cooker. One of my friend told me that she cooks butter naans in pressure cooker by keeping it horizontally on gas flame. Cant explain the whole experience...How I pasted the roti in the pressure cooker, then my wrist was burnt, half of naan was sticked to the cooker, wat came out was like a papad......
It was a nightmare. But still hopes some day I will cook Butter naan in pressure cooker...

lol!

When you get the Naan thing worked out, post it--I love that stuff.

I had made beautiful from-scratch dinner rolls for Thanksgiving. I took them out of the oven and put them on my stove top because I have NO counter space. Yeah, I have a glass cooktop--someone and turned it on for what, I have no idea, and my rolls totally burned on the bottom and stank up my kitchen:mad: They were homemade crescent rolls, so there was lots of labor involved. Sigh. I have many more, but I don't want to be a thread hog:pig: Yeah, like the time I confused cayenne pepper with paprika. I keep those waaaay separated in my spice racks now.

lol! .. may b the bad luck was even bad that day.. it happens sometimes.. n guess.. i still didn't understand.. why does the buttered side of the bread is always the one to fall! :ermm:

I had made beautiful from-scratch dinner rolls for Thanksgiving. I took them out of the oven and put them on my stove top because I have NO counter space. Yeah, I have a glass cooktop--someone and turned it on for what, I have no idea, and my rolls totally burned on the bottom and stank up my kitchen:mad: They were homemade crescent rolls, so there was lots of labor involved. Sigh. I have many more, but I don't want to be a thread hog:pig: Yeah, like the time I confused cayenne pepper with paprika. I keep those waaaay separated in my spice racks now.

I can put my hand up for that one as well. I manage to recover the dish.
We once "set" the timer to roast a duck while we were at church. Came back to a slightly smoky house and a duck with a very crispy outside. It had been cooking for about 4 hours. Not to bad though once the skin was stripped off.

When my wife Sue and I were first married, we lived in married student housing at UCLA. One night we made one of our favorite inexpensive casseroles, Porcupine Meatballs (beef meatballs made with raw rice and baked in a tomato sauce -- the rice cooks and pokes out of the meatballs, thus "porcupine").

When the meatballs were done, Sue removed the very large Pyrex casserole dish from the oven, using heavy oven mitts, and set it this wire frame that had come with the bowl -- it had handles and and feet and a loop of wire that circled the bowl and held it in place, serving as sort of a trivet so you could put bring the entire casserole to the table.

I heard her scream that she was getting burned. I turned around to discover that she was unable to pull her gloved hand out from between the red-hot casserole and the wire thing -- apparently her wedding ring had caught between the bowl and the wire and she couldn't pull her hand out or push it back enough to get it free.

The thing was far too hot to touch with my bare hands, and she was wearing the only mitts, her hand was stuck in the frame getting burned, and she was screaming. So I did the only thing I could -- I pushed her back as far as possible, grabbed her arm, and gave it a tug. It came loose, but the casserole flipped in the air, crashed to the floor in pieces, and meatballs and tomato sauce went everywhere -- on the floor, the walls, and even the ceiling. But a little cold water and some ice and Sue's hand was ok.

We found meatballs and tomato sauce behind the stove when we moved out a couple of years later.

Another mishap at UCLA Married Student Housing occurred when I was on a diet, drinking that canned liquid diet food, Sego, sort of a milkshake loaded with protein and vitamins. I was getting pretty tired of it and one night decided that it might be interesting to heat it like hot cocoa and then whip it up in the blender. BAD idea!

Unbeknownst to me at the time, hot liquids in the blender can explode when large amounts of air are suddenly mixed into the hot liquid, where it gets heated and expands rapidly.

I heated the chocolate Sego in a pan, bringing it to a simmer, and poured it into the blender. When I flipped the switch, the hot Sego literally blew the top off the blender, shot straight up out of the jar, hit the ceiling, and rained down on everything in the kitchen, me included. Fortunately, it had cooled enough in the process that I didn't get burned, and my wife and I stood there laughing hysterically, covered in chocolate drink.

Needless to say, that was the end of my Sego diet.

Many years ago I was going to a potluck in my housing complex and made a recipe from the Best of Bridge series of Cookbooks (a Canadian standard from Alix's neck of the woods). I make "Death to Dieter's Chicken Lasagne" (sorry I can't post the recipe) which has layers of chicken breasts, asparagus, hollandaise, etc. and is really good, but VERY time consuming.

Anyway, I spent all day making this thing and was really happy with it. I took it right out of the oven so that it could do its resting there and not get too cold. I put it on a marble cutting board (big stupid mistake!) and covered it with foil and a towel for the short journey outside. I was also wearing oven mitts with made tasks more difficult. I got out the door and was shutting it when the hot pan slipped out of the oven mitted hand and did a back flip in the air, dropping the lasagna upside down onto the cement. It was not salvageable. Being the perfectionist that I am, I couldn't go to the dinner without food so through teary eyes I threw together a pot of fettucine Alfredo and arrived a bit late.

Everyone was expecting the lasagna and were excited to try it (but were all very sympathetic and encouraging). So a few months later I had a "Don't Drop the Lasanga Party" and made three different kinds...including chicken! I think that was the start of my catering career! :chef:

I think some of you have heard of my green turkey........I was designated the cook two years in a row........you take a kitchen towel and soak it in olive oil and lay it on top of the turkey. which keeps it very moist.......first year went great......2nd year only had a green kitchen towel.........you guessed it .........it was a lucky charms turkey..........everything was green and this stupid towel had been washed many times already..........everyone had a good laugh over their green turkey which by the way was tasty despite it coloring...........the things that you do in foreign postings.........

My sister tried her hand at cooking a while back, and decided to make beef stroganoff. She was following along with the recipe in the cookbook and misinterpreted the 1/4 tsp salt direction. She thought it meant to coat each piece of meat in that much salt. I tried telling her that amount was for the entire recipe and not for each individual piece of meat, but she was adamant that was what the recipe called for; so I just shrugged my shoulders and let her find out for herself how salty the meal was going to be. We ended up drinking a lot (and I do mean a lot) of water that night, and she learned to listen to me when I advise her as to what recipes call for when she gets confused about measurements.:LOL:

I think that my doctor would have been pleased with her recipe as it would have raised my low blood sodium levels........hahaha.......poor thing........I can just imagine her disappointment and your resentment at not being listened to.........:):)

Many years ago I was going to a potluck in my housing complex and made a recipe from the Best of Bridge series of Cookbooks (a Canadian standard from Alix's neck of the woods). I make "Death to Dieter's Chicken Lasagne" (sorry I can't post the recipe) which has layers of chicken breasts, asparagus, hollandaise, etc. and is really good, but VERY time consuming.

Anyway, I spent all day making this thing and was really happy with it. I took it right out of the oven so that it could do its resting there and not get too cold. I put it on a marble cutting board (big stupid mistake!) and covered it with foil and a towel for the short journey outside. I was also wearing oven mitts with made tasks more difficult. I got out the door and was shutting it when the hot pan slipped out of the oven mitted hand and did a back flip in the air, dropping the lasagna upside down onto the cement. It was not salvageable. Being the perfectionist that I am, I couldn't go to the dinner without food so through teary eyes I threw together a pot of fettucine Alfredo and arrived a bit late.

Everyone was expecting the lasagna and were excited to try it (but were all very sympathetic and encouraging). So a few months later I had a "Don't Drop the Lasanga Party" and made three different kinds...including chicken! I think that was the start of my catering career! :chef:

Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear that after all your hard work but glad that I'M not alone in the mishaps dept..........I've dropped many things over the years..........or nearly cut my fingers off.......pretty please......your lasagna recipe sounds wonderful....... can you send it to me privately????............pretty please???

Back
Top Bottom