Cooking snobbery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) I worked at two different archaeological sites the archaeologists had only one motto when it came to getting their meals. I will put this as delicately as I can. " What ever you do don't screw with the cook"

Last edited:
Snobbery is a pervasive attitude in all areas of life. It generally reveals itself thorugh an intolerance of things considered beneath said snob and involves the put down or dismissal of those people/things.

exceling at somthing or having knowledge about something does not make you a snob. Sharing that does not make you a snob. Believeing you are inherently better than someone else because of this skill or knowledge does.
This post, IMO, is the best post in the thread. PanchoHambre said it perfectly in two paragraphs.

exceling at somthing or having knowledge about something does not make you a snob. Sharing that does not make you a snob. Believeing you are inherently better than someone else because of this skill or knowledge does.

I don't entirely agree with this, only because it's too broad of a statement. I'll use Michael Jordan as an example. Although he was a great athlete, and by most third party accounts was one of, if not the hardest working and training player in the NBA during his time, it was his own belief that he was the best player which helped to elevate him above the others. There's a quote from him that I really like:

"You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them."

In order to achieve the highest level that you possibly can, you need to believe and have confidence that you're better than your peers. You need to believe that you're more skilled and more knowledgable because if not, you're going to doubt your palate and doubt the food that you produce.

There is a difference in believing you are better than your peers at what you do (job, sport, what have you) because you have more knowledge and/or skills over thinking you are a better person than your peers because of these things. That is where the difference is. A snob thinks they are a better person or that people who do not think like they do are below them.

Jordan is a (slightly) better ball player than I am, but he is not a better person than I am because of it.

:) As said before believing you are better doe's not necessary make you better. Such a person may just be suffering from a grandiose illusion to match an enormous ego. One doe's not have to have a good palate for that. Ive seen it a hundred times. I have been showered with praise on my cooking abilities and yet wonder if what I just made could not have been made even better.

Last edited:
Well, it all just boils down to one thing, regardless of what you do. Love. If your intentions are to help someone, share something you know and make the world a better place, that's all there is to it. The rule book isn't all that long or hard to memorize. Love. If you feed someone, that's love.

I really like what PanchoHambre said, well said! I also think GB stated it pretty clearly and concisely as well, a snob thinks they are a better person than you because they can do something better than you, or have something you don't have, etc.

Other than that, I say put your money where your mouth is, so I can put your food where my mouth is! Even if you are only half as good as you think you are, I still win! LOL. I love all food types from down home cooking to top notch chefs and their restaurants, but my comfort zone is definitely with the down home cooks. Not because I think chefs are snobs, but just because I can relate better with down home cooks. And quite honestly if the chef is going to cook for me, I would fail to see the downside to them being a bit of a snob over their ingredients...
I just try to keep an open mind.

I too like what PanchoHombre said. To address what IronChef said. To have a knowledge or skill and believe in yourself is not snobery. The ONLY way you will develope knowledge or skill is to believe in and drive yoruself. No one can give that to you. The snobery part comes in in the way that you interface with others because of that skill. If you look down on or belittle peolpe because of your skill in a certain area, then you are a snob. Better to share that skill and help others.

It is also good to remember that we all have skills, some in different areas than others. The people that do not have the skills in your area of expertise may have very signiificant skills in other areas.

There is a difference in believing you are better than your peers at what you do (job, sport, what have you) because you have more knowledge and/or skills over thinking you are a better person than your peers because of these things. That is where the difference is. A snob thinks they are a better person or that people who do not think like they do are below them.

Jordan is a (slightly) better ball player than I am, but he is not a better person than I am because of it.

thanks GB that is what I meant

Back
Top Bottom