"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When you sift flour, you aerate it or 'fluff' it up, separating the grains. As a result, a cup of just sifted flour will contain significantly less flour than a cup of unsifted flour.
Or "a cup of flour, sifted".

Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #22
Executive Chef

I also have had people who did not want to cook for me because I'm a chef. Are you kidding me? I love when someone else cooks for me. When I first moved to the ranch the women there were worried their cooking might not be up to my standards they happen to be great cooks by the way. I just tell them that they even if they only made me scrambled eggs they would be the best eggs I ever had. Why? Plain and simple they taste better because I didn't have to cook them. There is something about not enjoying my own food all the time because I have already tasted and smelled the dish that by the time it comes to eat I'm already tired of it. When I cook at dinner home I rarely eat it when it's ready, after nibbling and tasting and smelling I get full feeling even if though I could eat more I just can't get into it any more.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #23
Certified Cake Maniac

One of Canada's "celebrity chef's" Michael Smith said one time that being a chef isn't about the schooling or the red seal, it is about a heart for food and people.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
Executive Chef

I don't really understand the 'snobbery' part at home. But bad knife skills drive me bonkers. A friend of mine was dicing an onion by first, slicing half moons, then seperating the rings, then cutting each dice individually. I actually had to sit on my hands so I wouldn't get involved.

I'm a total snob eating out. I can taste canned or prepared food a mile away. Hate it. I don't use them home, and I don't expect to pay good money to be served that junk going out to eat. We might eat out once in 2 months. What used to be good tastes like garbage now. The only time I'm not dissapointed is going to a certain local 'family style' restaurant. They have a bazillion things on the menu, but I always order the same thing: L.I. Iced Tea, Nachos Grande, Reuben, and a couple Heinekens or Becks.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post

I'm a total snob eating out. I can taste canned or prepared food a mile away. Hate it.
I don't think expecting a nice restaurant to prepare fresh , tasty food without using cheap canned and prepared ingredients, makes you a snob.

It makes them a lousy restaurant, and it makes you an ex-customer

As for knife skills, I'd rather have people take their time than have "finger" food
Old 05-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #26
Master Chef

I think the idea of food snobs has been amplified by the Top Chef programs. The contestants always seem to have trouble with the challenges involving "everyday" stuff like when they had to make something from vending machine food or go through the neighborhood and raid average people's pantries for ingredients. You always hear them gripe about only using "the best" ingredients to be successful.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I'm a total snob eating out. I can taste canned or prepared food a mile away. Hate it.
Jeekinz, Just because you expect to get what you pay for does not make you a snob!

If you want my opinion, anyone who looks down their nose at someone else (whether you call them a snob, or #*!%#.) has issues with their own security, or should I say insecurities. I find that these kinds of people need to cut down other people in order to feel better about themselves. I don't think that it has anything to do with cooking.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #28
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I have a really good friend who is a great cook, none of us are chefs. She once said that she cooks differently depending on who is comming for dinner. She tailors her spices and to some extent the menu, to the tastes of her guests. I really like this idea. If I cm cooking for myself, it is one thing, I cook what I like, If I have company, I cook fro them.

She wrote up all her favorite recipies, printed several copies, bound them and titled it "Cooking with love". Most folks here can make a great meal. Some are teaching me presentation, which I so dearly want to learn. Is that not what it is all about?

If someone says they can cook better than I can, so be it.

AC
Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama
If you want my opinion, anyone who looks down their nose at someone else (whether you call them a snob, or #*!%#.) has issues with their own security, or should I say insecurities. I find that these kinds of people need to cut down other people in order to feel better about themselves. I don't think that it has anything to do with cooking.
I agree....
Also....So often it is not what one says, rather it is what one does not say. Sometimes the silence can be deafening! It speaks volumes to ones true character......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Jeekinz, Just because you expect to get what you pay for does not make you a snob!
I guess I just think bad food is acceptable amongst the masses. So when I critique so called 'good food' amongst 'non chefs' I feel a tad snobbish. Making any sense?