"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cooking snobbery

I was wondering if anyone had noticed and disliked what they might consider pretentious or "snobbery" in the field of cooking. What things irritate you the most?

Old 05-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
I was wondering if anyone had noticed and disliked what they might consider pretentious or "snobbery" in the field of cooking.

Never!

Quote:
What things irritate you the most?
I won't get started.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Master Chef

I do feel that some people tend look down on us country cooks a little bit, but I've never fed a one of'em that didn't clean his plate and come back for more.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

some cooks look down their noses at ones that don't make every little thing by scratch.

some cooks however just tell u how they do and u can take it or leave.

i certainly don't know everything about cooking by a long shot. i like getting advice if it is presented well.

yes there definatly food snobs.

babe
Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I do feel that some people tend look down on us country cooks a little bit, but I've never fed a one of'em that didn't clean his plate and come back for more.

Amen to that.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I haven't witnessed it here (and hope never to) but back when I was a regular on the Craigslist Food Forum, there was a certain reverse-snobbery that was annoying and prevalent there. Someone would make a post describing a wonderful meal that they obviously put a lot of effort into and someone (consistently this would be someone posting from an anonymous login) would post deriding the OP for their obvious snobbery for making some or other thing from scratch or for the use of some ingredient that might not normally be used in a home kitchen.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

I have experienced it the opposite way. When I finished my culinary course one of my friends said "so, I guess none of us can invite YOU to dinner anymore because we won't measure up to your standards" and wasn't joking. I was totally shocked. Funny thing, two years later and she is constantly emailing or calling me for advice, but, true to her word, I have never been invited for dinner since. Go figure.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I am just not crazy about food snobs that do no not actually cook or the ones that do cook but think they are gods gift to the culinary world and think you could not possibly have a method, idea or recipe that is better than theirs. You will never be a better or great a cook/chef with an attitude. I believe no one lives in this world long enough to understand or master all aspects of cooking in the entire world and different cultures. I think if you want to be a great cook/chef you better appreciate the down home cook and the master chef. There is so much to learn about food and cooking in this world no one lives long enough to learn it all. I also believe arrogance has no place in a kitchen do what you do because you love to cook.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac

Touche JP!!!! When I am at home, I am a down home cook. When I am working I step it up a notch (depending on the job). Contrary to my friend's attitude, I love going to my friends and having their homestyle cooking and appreciate it very much. Often it is better than I could ever do. I don't consider myself a great cook/chef, I consider myself an educated foodie!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I find that the "snob" doesn't know near what they think they do.

When I cooked professionally someone said "I bet you are so picky when you go out to eat" - what I was was so thankful I didn't have to cook it myself!!!!!!

What irritates me is going into a nice restaurant and they don't make the salad dressings themselves, or they don't make some simple sauces themselves...or they buy their potato salad and nothing but the preservatives flavor it. I just find it a huge waste of money (and fairly lazy) and not near as good as what can be made in-house. That may be snobbish I guess - I just find it puzzling.

Constance - I couldn't agree more!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote