"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #11
Executive Chef
I was born in 1962 and where I grew up, most of the mothers were home all day long. Most houses only had one car, too....

In the early 70s my mother got a full time job and needed help with dinner. I was the oldest duaghter so that became my job. She'd start some things in the morning, or leave notes on how to do something, but by the time she got home at 5:30 or so, followed quickly by my dad, dinner was just about ready.

I started cooking when I was 10 and knew right away that I wanted to stay in the kitchen.

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:51 AM   #12
Sous Chef
I don't rememeber a time where I wasn't cooking or baking.When my Mom was well, I spent most of my time in the kitchen with her.When she wasn't either her Mom or one of my father's 5 sister's would be taking care of my siblings and myself-all of which are amazing cooks and bakers who I loved being around in the kitchen.I learned from an early age that if you give most people something that tastes good you can make them happy for awhile and I sure liked that feeling then as I do now.Love and energy, Vicki

VickiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
Executive Chef
I was taught to cook by watching both my Mum and my Grannies (both of them). All were really good cooks. My mum became more catholic in her approach to food, simply because we lived abroad when I as a child and my Mum found out about other cuisines, Greek, Singaporean and from Hong Kong. She was also a great follower of Elizabeth David, and so we ate quite adventurously in comparisons to say, my cousins, who also learned cooking and baking from their mothers.

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote