Copying recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
This subject has come up in several threads so I thought I'd give it it's own.

Sometimes when you want to save a recipe from the computer, you might like to add it to your Favorites, or save it to a particular folder, or copy it onto a document. I now have recipes saved to the site's Recipe Box, I have some in documents, some in Favorites. They are all over the place.

I started gathering them together to make documents that I can edit for viewability as most of them are teensy tiny print that even a magnifying glass doesn't help much. The easiest to do is cut/paste to a blank document.

I print the recipe and put it in a notebook that I can thumb through when I want to make something new. The added advantage being that I now have a full size sheet of paper where I can make notes of changes or ideas for add ins.

Many of the websites have recipes that just won't allow you to copy/paste to a document. At least I think it is the website. Why, don't they want us to have the recipe?

One way around this is to take a screenshot of the recipe and paste it into a document. You can't edit the text, but you can enlarge the screenshot enough that you can read it.

I'm curious how others organize their recipes.

Copied and pasted into Word documents and filed in catagory folders.

Don't you run into those that just won't paste?

When I get these, Works gives me a message that it has stopped working. I love Word, but it's too expensive, and I hate the newer versions with all those itty bitty icons. I tried it out when I got my new computer and was frustrated that I spent more time trying to find the right icon than I did making my document. I'd love to get a copy of Word Office 2003, but they don't seem to sell it anymore.:glare:

Check out OPENOFFICE.ORG. It's a free version of software that is almost identical to WORD and EXCEL. You can download and use it for free.

Z, I'm such a computer dummy and you are so far ahead of me, that I hardly know what you're talking about. Geeze, I'm so far behind times, I still have a bottle of white out.
When I see a recipe I want, I copy and paste it to an email to myself. Then I print the email and keep it in a folder (a real one). :LOL: I know it's not the proper way, but it works for me.

Z, I'm such a computer dummy and you are so far ahead of me, that I hardly know what you're talking about. Geeze, I'm so far behind times, I still have a bottle of white out.
When I see a recipe I want, I copy and paste it to an email to myself. Then I print the email and keep it in a folder (a real one). :LOL: I know it's not the proper way, but it works for me.

Computer dummy, my A.. It worked. I couldn't paste to Word, but it pasted just fine into an email AND I can edit it.

Thanks bunches. That solved my problem. I am hoping to hear other solutions too. I know someone gave one to me about a week ago, but of course I couldn't find the thread when I needed because being a dummy too, I didn't take the time to write it down (Banging head against wall.)

It has been a problem for a long time because I also like to save crochet patterns and it happens there too.

I think I may have learned my lesson and will remember to write important tips down. It is not like the index cards I use for scratch paper aren't less than a foot away from my hand LOL!

:LOL: Z.

I got this in an email the other day, titled "it's time to retire".......

img_931294_0_26ad3b5b5671332cdfdcd305df653ca6.jpg

Check out OPENOFFICE.ORG. It's a free version of software that is almost identical to WORD and EXCEL. You can download and use it for free.

I have OOo too, but it just ignores me. It seemed to set up a loop too because I couldn't get any OOo functions to open, nor would it delete and reinstall the program until I restarted the computer. It said I had to close the open program. Even more upsetting was the fact that the Task Manager didn't show it not responding.

But, check out Kayelle's answer. That worked. She is a Genius and doesn't even know it. I would never have thought of that way.

Aren't computers fun? (More Banging Head Against Wall!)

Daddy always said the reason for banging your head against the wall is that it feels good when you stop.

Thanks for trying, Andy:)

Last edited:
...But, check out Kayelle's answer. That worked. She is a Genius and doesn't even know it. I would never have thought of that way...

I'm glad you found a way.

Just for kicks, see if you can cut and paste the recipe from the email to WORKS so that it's editable.

There is a Firefox plug-in called Recipefox. I use it in conjunction with MasterCook to automatically capture recipes and import them into MasterCook. For websites that don't work in Recipefox (and many don't, but not enough to keep me from using it), it has a cut and paste feature that automates the pasting into the proper fields in the MasterCook database.

I absolutely could not live without it.
Lee

Thanks so much everyone. Not only did Kayelle's method work, but Joesfolks answered me from the thread I couldn't find and told me to copy using CNTL C and paste using CNTL V. I knew about that but thought it was the same as using the right click. It worked too without (sorry, Kayelle XOXOX) having to email it.

I wrote both methods on an index card and if I can just remember to remember where I put it when I get stuck again I'll be OK. (Where's that White-Out, Kayelle :) it's funny because when I'm writing long hand I'm often wishing I still had some!!)

Thanks bunches. That solved my problem. I am hoping to hear other solutions too. I know someone gave one to me about a week ago, but of course I couldn't find the thread when I needed because being a dummy too, I didn't take the time to write it down (Banging head against wall.)

Zhizara, That was me, but you caught me this morning before I woke up...yes, I was posting asleep...:blink:

Most, not all, sites have a link such as "Printer Friendly"...of course I can't find one right now.:ermm: These links take away all the ads, etc and they are usually black and white. They also remove the table format most of the time. Copy and paste from there if you are able to.

Hope that helps...back into my coma...:wacko:

I'm glad you found a way.

Just for kicks, see if you can cut and paste the recipe from the email to WORKS so that it's editable.

I tried it yesterday. Nope! I finally just had to change the font to a readable one (it is editable in email form), and print the email. At least now I have a hard copy to remind me of the recipe, and where I can make notes of changes or ideas for add-ins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom