"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Actually, C&P is only OK if you have permission from the copyright holder (which is not always the original poster).
Absolutely correct! Thanks June. Sorry about that.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
Master Chef

Thanks Alix......and also thanks to all the mods for everything they do here.

I came across this very interesting read about the subject......

Can a Recipe Be Stolen? - washingtonpost.com

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
Flour Child

Interesting article, kayelle. I like where a Washington chef says that "recipes are to be shared" and that recipes in her cookbook came from her childhood experiences in Austria. She even went so far as to say she wouldn't mind if someone posted it online and called it their own...
...unless they were a bad cook
That validates the notion that nothing is new under the sun really. God only created a certain number of spices and edibles...how many combinations could there possibly be...and to think we've been cooking since the beginning of time.

However, with that being said, I can't imagine that "Yam Vichyssoise" has ever been done before...or at least called that by name.

I don't think it's right for any of us to judge DC members here when they post a recipe. We don't know the story behind it.
Maybe they got permission?
Maybe they only posted the ingredients and reworded the directions?...which is allowed here
Maybe it came from a blog of theirs where they go by another name?
Maybe it was passed down from their family generation and, in fact, belongs to their family?
Maybe they believe in the "sharing recipes" concept and are generous themselves?
Maybe we should just let everyone enjoy the Forum here and let them worry about themselves?

According to kayelle's article, usually only bake-off contests check recipes for authenticity and require 3 substantial changes to a recipe in order to call it their own. Maybe we don't pick up on that when viewing someone's recipe here?
I say ease up and let's not be so quick to criticize others.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Mollyanne, it's not a matter of not criticizing other members. Rather it's about complying with the law. If a recipe owner chooses to sue, both the individual poster and the owner of this site care liable and could pay major fines.

The fact that it is rare for a recipe owner to sue is irrelevant. That act is wrong.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
Master Chef

That being said Andy, I always enjoy your signature....

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #16
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mollyanne, it's not a matter of not criticizing other members. Rather it's about complying with the law....The fact that it is rare for a recipe owner to sue is irrelevant. That act is wrong.
Of course I agree that not abiding by the law is wrong BUT my point is that it's not up to us to judge the DCmembers here as to whether they have broken the law or not...because, as I said, maybe this or maybe that...maybe we don't know the full story.

Good point, kayelle.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyAnne
BUT my point is that it's not up to us to judge the DC members here as to whether they have broken the law or not...
Then Who???
Are you saying that the owner of DC should only be reactive to possible copy write infringements..ie wait for the judge to levy a $25,000 + fine then act??? Surely not!!~~~ If I were the owner I would be very proactive on the matter..I would charge those who serve as Moderators, and Administrators to watch for possible violations and take the appropriate action....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Then Who???
Are you saying that the owner of DC should only be reactive to possible copy write infringements..ie wait for the judge to levy a $25,000 + fine then act??? Surely not!!~~~ If I were the owner I would be very proactive on the matter..I would charge those who serve as Moderators, and Administrators to watch for possible violations and take the appropriate action....
I guess they've never heard that "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

The real deal is, that unless YOU personally own the copyright, it's best to only post the link to the recipe you want to share. How difficult is that?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #19
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Of course I agree that not abiding by the law is wrong BUT my point is that it's not up to us to judge the DCmembers here as to whether they have broken the law or not...because, as I said, maybe this or maybe that...maybe we don't know the full story.
It wasn't quite fair to leave off the last part of my quote, unclebob, since it changes my intentions (although i know you didn't mean to). Judging others before knowing the whole story was the admonishment I was making. Our legal system agrees with me. And I was speaking to typical DC members such as myself...not administration nor the owner. It's a given that they can run DC however they want and are obviously doing a fantastic job of it. It wouldn't be my place to tell them what to do nor do they need me to do that. I'm not an educated lawyer either...all is my humble opinion and a plea not to be too quick to judge others as I mentioned before.

Of course I agree that posting a link is the right thing to do if it's not yours...and/or copying the ingredients only and posting your own instructions is the right thing to do as I read when I first came here in the DC rules. But before casting judgement on others we should answer these questions (as I mentioned):

Maybe they only posted the ingredients and reworded the directions?...which is allowed here
Maybe it was passed down from their family generation and, in fact, belongs to their family?

That's all I'm saying. Let's ask before assuming guilt.

......peace, mollyanne

Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post

That's all I'm saying. Let's ask before assuming guilt.

......peace, mollyanne

Mollyanne, the mods do ask these questions and more. All you see is the final result, not the 'behind the scenes' stuff.

If a recipe looks like it may be a copy job, a search is done to try to find it. If found, the poster is approached with options to provide evidence of permission or ownership, replace it with a link, make the necessary changes, or remove it.