Corn Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
If most of you remember we had quite a lively discussion a while back regarding having corn syrup in our food.

So, do any of you hesitate to make foods with recipes that call for corn syrup such as Pecan Pie. Or do you use it while trying to keep it out of any foods that you buy and that have it added for just for sweetness.

Me personally, I make a concerted effort to keep it out of all my foods. And I don't make any recipe that calls for it. I don't even have it in my home. :angel:

The issue folks have is with high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), not regular corn syrup. I use regular corn syrup whenever it's helpful in a recipe.

I'm not sure you can even purchase HFCS for home use. It's use is pretty much limited to food 'manufacturers'. You just have to watch for it on the packaging.

Last edited:
As a kid (and we ALWAYS had dessert) when there was no cake or pie or ice cream or..... we had a puddle of white Karo syrup in a saucer with a good sized chunk of butter it it. Then we'd use WonderBread in chunks to scoop it up.

But I was a gourmet even then and wouldn't eat the dark Karo syrup. :chef:

My brothers birthday is today and he's 87 years old. He's going to judge an orchid show tonight to celebrate. So I guess it didn't hurt him or me.;)

The other issue with corn syrup is that it is made from corn and most of that is genetically modified nowadays.

For a while Karo had HFCS in it, but they took it out a few years ago. I've also noticed that even store brands have removed it.

I don't hesitate to use Karo. Among other things, I use it in pecan pie and for a chocolate ganache type frosting I make for a chocolate layer cake.

I will use corn syrup, no problem. My little experiment with HFCS and sugar proved to me the bad impact HFCS have on blood sugar and consequently, my health. I have been able to regulate my Diabetes much better by NOT eating HFCS.

At one time Hunt's Ketchup took the HFCS out of their product. Then when the hallabaloo died down, they put it back in. Now the only one I can find on the shelf is "Simply Heinz." I am a label reader and do try to keep it out of my diet. But I will, if the recipe calls for it use Karo Syrup. :angel:

If a recipe calls for corn syrup (Karo), I use corn syrup. Most of the time it's such a small amount that I don't even think about it. The same goes for the amounts HFCS in a lot of things like catsup. I might use a tablespoonful of catsup in a month. I'm not fretting over the HFCS in that tablespoon. I don't drink sodas or commercially prepared drinks so no problems there. Like everything else, it's the over use that is not good for us. Even too much spring water can kill you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom