Could have lost my house!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Just finished smoking a few racks of ribs in the Brinkman.
Made sure the charcoal was almost gone and came back into the house. The water pan was half full. Nothing I haven't done many times before.

I noticed smoke coming from the bottom of it, and didn't think anything of it. It's a smoker what did I want?

Came back into the dining room didn't even look at the patio. My son walks in " Uhhhh Mom! points.. SMOKER!!!" Well awww crayaaap that thing was on fire!

Flames were coming out of the bottom through the side door and just getting to the top. We both ran back in got every extinguisher in the house. Turned on the hoses soaked the patio and lawn area. Slowly put that fire out.

Every things fine. Kind of dizzy breathing in that extinguisher fumes and smoke. Maybe it was the adrenalin. Brand new Brinkman is melted. The paints bubbled and will chip off. But geez that's the last of my worries right now. I'm particular about my house. It's not so easy to replace because I just got stupid and caught! I got some splainin' to do when hubby gets home :(

Munky.

Sorry to hear this, Munky, but the main thing is that you and your son are all right. Accidents happen and you thought fast. But I know how scary fires can be.

Thank you. :)

It scared the daylights out of me. I don't know what I did wrong. I'm always very careful when I q or use that smoker. Make sure it's always free of grease build up no matter what I use.
So many people have those wooden decks and use their q's on it. Cuz that's a cool thing to do in Cali. Weathers nice and all. I have a cement patio but a shingle roof. My neighbors house is less then 20 ft away I could have not only taken out my house but hers to.

Thank god the extinguishers are full and we caught it when we did. My hearts still racing. But you know if ya'll don't have an extinguisher get one!

I'm swiping the ones from the truck and car. I swear I can't be left unattended anymore!

Munky.

Munky,
the main thing is are you all right? Good lord girl what a way to fix ribs111 Please take it easy and keep in touch.That must have been a scare. Take it easy put your feet up and take a deep breath. You gave me a scare reading this.
cj

Scary stuff, Munky, but relieved to know you and the house are okay. Your son's a hero!

'scuse me while I go check the expiration date on my extinguisher...

Munky,
the main thing is are you all right? Good lord girl what a way to fix ribs111 Please take it easy and keep in touch.That must have been a scare. Take it easy put your feet up and take a deep breath. You gave me a scare reading this.
cj

I'm fine now. Took something to calm down. I could feel my blood pressure getting out of hand had a tough time calming down. On the bright side the ribs were good. Last time were going to be having them. They better eat up! :)

Thanks everyone :)

Munky.

Were you able to figure out what caused the flareup? Glad you're all ok.

We couldn't tell by the time we had it out. It took us about 30 minutes.
Opening up the door or lid wasn't an option at the time. It would have made things worse. I've only used it 5 times. Before it was even lit I made sure the drip pans were thoroughly cleaned, charcoal pan was empty, grates cleaned.
Was never used at one time more then 5 1/2 hours tops.

My husband came home and took a look at it. He seems to think grease on the walls might have been the problem. I don't think so myself. It bubbled and warped just a bit starting at the bottom by the charcoal pan. Then bubbles up again at the top and door section. I'm not a fire marshal, expert on it. I just don't know.

I do know I have a mess to clean up today.

Munky.

It was probably a me kind of thing.
Insurance won't pay out for stupid :LOL:

" Operator! get me the number for 911!"

Munky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom