"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Wrote out Christmas cards today (yes I still do that)! Bought gift cards for some great-nieces and nephews. Put those in cards for the kids. Need to order magazines for my grandsons so they will get something in the mail all year. We bought my gift on Sunday, and Hubby's gift is in layaway. Still need to buy for each son. I'm getting there. :)

Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I bought a couple of gift cards today for grand niece and nephew. I really have to focus on stuff for SO's gifts. We exchange stocking gifts. It's difficult to think of a bunch of new and different stuff to go in a stocking.
Andy, we usually exchange stocking gifts too. It can sometimes be difficult to think of useful things to put in the socks...DH usually does a pathetic job (bless his heart). He says he just can't think of anything. Here are a few suggestions if you are having trouble.

Toothbrush
Travel size toiletries
Knee high nylons (come in small plastic balls)
Razorblades (freakishly expensive)what's up with that?
Breath mints or gum
Cant go wrong with Jewelry
Hand Warmers
Mini stretch gloves
Socks
Lip balm
Cologne
Anything from Bath and Bodyworks (lotion, soap, candles)
Craft supplies (knitting needles. Crochet hooks, scrap booking items)
Did I say jewelry?
Gift certificate to Spa or Pedicure establishment
Magazine or paperback
Pez dispenser ( just for fun)
Blank CD's
Charm for existing bracelet
Handmade coupon book good for chores that she usually does, that you will do for her, and/or for a foot rub or back rub.
Music is always good
Nail polish (your favorite color)
Eyeglass cleaner and or repair kit
Small retractable tape measure
Oh! And don't forget.....jewelry :-)

I could go on and on.......hope two or three of these ideas will work for your SO.
Merry Christmas Andy!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got a frozen lobster tail in my stocking one year!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I got a frozen lobster tail in my stocking one year!
I would never consider that a gift. I guess living where I do, I take lobster for granted. This past summer when there was a glut of lobsters on the market, I never once conisdered buying any. And anytime I go shopping, I walk right past the lobster tank. Never even look at it or have a hankering. I would rather have a nice big filet of Haddock.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would never consider that a gift. I guess living where I do, I take lobster for granted. This past summer when there was a glut of lobsters on the market, I never once conisdered buying any. And anytime I go shopping, I walk right past the lobster tank. Never even look at it or have a hankering. I would rather have a nice big filet of Haddock.
Lobster was a rare treat for a foodie child in Wyoming...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #36
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Lobster was a rare treat for a foodie child in Wyoming...
Rarer still for an Alberta baby. GOOD Surf n Turf is pretty rare here.

I used to get a tin of oysters, a jar of queen olives and an orange in my stocking along with sundry other fun little items. That jar of olives was gone before breakfast most years. The oysters were usually lunch. LOL.

I am nearly done my shopping. I still need to find the perfect gift for my Mom, and get something for Bugs FROM my Mom. Then just get some bitsies and its a done deal.

Only 13 more sleeps! OMG, seriously, I'm like a little kid this year, I'm so excited for Christmas!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Rarer still for an Alberta baby. GOOD Surf n Turf is pretty rare here.

I used to get a tin of oysters, a jar of queen olives and an orange in my stocking along with sundry other fun little items. That jar of olives was gone before breakfast most years. The oysters were usually lunch. LOL.

I am nearly done my shopping. I still need to find the perfect gift for my Mom, and get something for Bugs FROM my Mom. Then just get some bitsies and its a done deal.

Only 13 more sleeps! OMG, seriously, I'm like a little kid this year, I'm so excited for Christmas!
I am more excited about the eye surgery than Christmas. I already know what I am getting. I would rather get something I need than something I want. But this year I am getting both. A button up to the neck cardigan white sweater and some undies. I have a beautiful sweater that everyone comments on. But it doesn't button up to the neck. Since I wear most open neck clothes, I need something that buttons all the way up on cold days. Needless to say, money is very short in my daughter's houshold this year. She has no income, and her husband is on disability. I think I have had more than my share of Christmas'. I would rather see it go to the next three generations. They need it more than I do. I just want peace and quiet.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I am totally not ready for Christmas. I've been working on a recipe calendar for relatives and I will be ordering items online for DH. So I'm not feeling a lot of stress yet. Maybe I should be
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

I am all ready for Christmas, all I need to get is the food to cook on Christmas Day, which I will get at the end of next week
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Somebunny, thanks for the great tips.

Addie, PF, Alix, I still enjoy lobster after all these years. Never had it as a child growing up and I was very disappointed as a teen when I had my first one and saw how little you get from one.

As much as I love it, SO has developed an allergy as an adult. We found that out one year at the Maine Lobster Festival about 3.5 hours from home. Scary times.