"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Country Music - where do you fit in? (tell us why!)
Love It! 28 49.12%
Hate It! 12 21.05%
Tolerate It! 17 29.82%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
There were no qualified choices, so I had to go with Hate It. In general, I don't care for the twang, many of the lyrics, most of the performers.

OTOH, I love Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, KD Lang, some of the Dixie Chicks (that's "modern country" right?) but mostly, no. not my favorite genre of music at all.

I prefer Jazz, R&B, Classical, Cabaret, Show Tunes, even Marching Band music.... just my taste.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Old dogs, and children.....and watermelon wine!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Love it Love it!

I was a big fan on silly long-haired rocker bands in the eighties and early 90's...
Once they went away and grunge (or whatever else is around now) showed up, I had nowhere else to go but country.

I do listen to alot of everything else to..... just not rap, or scary guys with white face paint that scream alot....
Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Actually, the poll needed another option--like it. I don't hate it or love it, but it's alright. "Tolerate" means you would never choose to listen to it. But I sometimes do choose to listen to it. I just don't have it pre-set on my radio. I loooove jazz fusion.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Head Chef

I have grown to love the current "mainstream" country music. "Country pop", if you will.

About 8 years ago, a loved one asked me to give the country radio station a chance, and I was reluctant, thinking about the twang in voice and music of earlier people like Patsy Cline and Tammy Wynette. But when I started listening, I realized that today's country music, lyrics and voices, are (for the most part) what I like! And what I sing along with!

Country music has many generations and styles - it's funny that some of you who say you don't like country except for "so and so", named people I can't stand to listen to, yet I say I love country!

Beats most of the current alternatives, and I get tired of listening to "oldies".

Lee
Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #16
Head Chef

I like some of the old classic stuff, Chet Atkins, Patsy Cline, et al. Not that I go out of my way to listen to it.

The current version of country pop does nothing for me. But then contemporary pop does nothing for me either.

No hate, just indifference.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quite a bit of country is going mainstream now. If you listen to the general "pop" music, you have heard Rascal Flatts, Taylor Swift, Keith Urban and quite a few others too.

I am a country fan, along with Southern Rock, quite a bit of R&B, pop, classics; quite
an eclectic mix!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I love country music. Although I hate what it's become...there's too much pop mixed in nowadays. Which is ironic because I went to country after all the pop radio stations went to hip-hop/rap/R&B. I mostly listen to the musicians I heard growing up like Alan Jackson, Mark Chesnutt and Tracy Byrd. I also like the Dixie Chicks. And bluegrass. I actually play a little banjo and guitar.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Wow. This has been an interesting read. It always seems to me with people I talk to it's a love it or hate it relationship, which is why I asked here. You're disproving my hypothesis! LOL.

Country has gone through some major changes over the years. I'm not overly into the real old stuff (I started listening in the 80s as a kid) but the sound of Reba, Kenny Rogers, Dolly, Tanya Tucker, Lori Morgan, and the groups mentioned like Diamond Rio, Oak Ridge Boys (not previously mentioned), and others is far different from the sound of today from Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Trace Adkins, Josh Turner, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, and the groups Brooks and Dunn, Little Big Town, Sugarland, and Rascal Flatts.

Pretty much if it came from the 80s on, with a bit from the late 70s, I love it. Though mentioning Kenny Rogers, I prefer his earlier stuff to his newer stuff. Particularly the look; I think if he went on stage under bright lights, he might melt from how much plastic he's had done. I think it's a shame because IMHO his career was built on his rugged, mountain man look.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Side note - Pop in country - Jewel, Jessica Simpson, Kid Rock, and Sheryl Crow all recent country converts?!?