"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
Executive Chef

If they can have you sign some sort of liability waiver, you should actually do a few days of "volunteer" type work (like an internship). As long as you're up front and tell them to treat you like any other team member, you'll know within the first couple of days as to whether or not you're cut out for the job/business. That way, you won't cost the company any money, time, effort, etc. on hiring a new employee, and you'll also find out for yourself if you want to cook professionally or not. If you do like it and they like you, you can then formally apply for the position. The worst thing you can do is to sell yourself for the job, get it, and then quit within a week because you find that it's too physically demanding.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I'm not coming down on people like a ton of bricks, I'm just telling you what it can be like in a service kitchen at 6pm. I also said I really don't enjoy that presure.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
Cook

Corrine, Robo410 knows what he is talking about. Restaurant cooking, at most every level, generally requires high production, completed in a short period of time, under immense pressure. The working environment can be extremely unpleasant, even degrading. This is not true everywhere, but is quite common. You need to be aware of this.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson
Hello Kaylinda just took the tour of the Just us Resteraurant, made me hungry nice menu and deserts!!!!! too bad i'm in indianapolis, Indiana
Thanks for visiting! Wish you were close to here too! My husband and I do all the kitchen though. We have only hired waitstaff in the last 6 years. One of these days though...I plan on retiring! Is there such a day?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA
Just move to Kansas and come work for me. I don't care what you wear as long as your "decent"....and anyway...I'm going to "work the pants off of you!"...lol. Good luck in your job hunting. I hope you find something you truly love!
Oh my! I would so love to work for you! That's the kind of place I'm looking for! If I could convince my husband to move to Kansas, I would take you up on the offer in a heartbeat!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:52 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Sorry to reply so late.... A kitchen is a dirty place so I would have suggested you wear something that could get dirty and that you can move quickly in. A white shirt and black pants would mimmick chef's whites fairly closely.

I normally have several positions to fill during the course of any given year. The nature of the position would determine if I'd hire someone without experience or formal education. For instance, I could easily train a person to work the charcuterie or grill station without experience, but a cook would have to have some prior kitchen experience.

Now, having said that, I was hiried in the early 90s to work a charcuterie station without any experience at all. I've been an executive chef for 2 years now. I've taken what classes I could get my hands on, and I've spent lots and lots of time honing my craft with simple hands on training. Read whatever books you can get your hands on, specifically find a book on serv-safe.

Good luck and please let me know how it went for you.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Corinne? I don't quite understand the photo you've chosen to accompany your name. I think you're getting confused wardrobe advice accordingly!

As for poor ol' Robo, he was just stating the very macho reality of so many kitchens. It's hot, it's fast, and you'd better be able to follow instructions and know your stuff! As long as your boss is a nice guy outside of work, you don't take the behavior in the kitchen personally -- it's his job to see that the work is done according to his standard and expertise.

Good luck to you in any event.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Listen to Robo, If you can't take it, the restaurant is no place for you. I'm not trying to be mean at all, but a chef is a different person at 7:00 on Friday night than he is at 11:00 Monday morning. It is very hard, You will get yelled at in the heat of service...that is just the way it is. One of my first jobs, I got yelled at and cussed, I hated it, but i didn't take it personally because at the end of the shift, Me and the chef would sit out back, drinking Budweiser and I would listen to how to be better and fix what I did wrong. It is a battle field and tempers flare, especially in a nice busy restaurant where everything comes back on your name. I love to cook, but I would much prefer to do private cheffing and catering, it is much slower. GET KITCHEN KLOGS! You will not slip and fall or burn your feet and at the end of the night you can run them through the dishwasher. I require them in my kitchen. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #19
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Corinne? I don't quite understand the photo you've chosen to accompany your name. I think you're getting confused wardrobe advice accordingly!
Thats her son Ayrton.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
The photo is of my beloved only child, Shane. He died 2 1/2 years ago.
http://www.truerwords.net/shane/memorial.html