Crawfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lifesaver

Executive Chef
Ok! I have a question... I have heard so much about crawfish. I was watching on the cooking channel a couple of days ago and they were showing people sucking on crawfish. In this weeks sales add for the local grocery store they have crawfish on sale.

Ok! here comes the dumb question.

Just what are those people sucking out of those crawfish?

Don't knock it, if you haven't tried it. No worse than raw oysters, and very tasty.

My wife is a croatian, some of her family are fishermen, the most prized part of a fish to them is the head, she will not buy fish fillets over here unless they show her the head then if its ok she will take that to. My wife will not eat anything with cooked cheese in it.

The famous saying is "Eat tail and suck head". Gimme a sack of mud bugs, some Wayne Toups music, Abita beer and laissez les bons temps rouler!

36788-albums309-picture2608t.jpg

Craig

no mate,not even on pizza, or grated on pasta, she will eat it in burek or spanakopita but only when they are cold.:)

I had to look those up :blush: The spanakopita sound delicious.

I could see me eating a mess of crayfish, but I don't know sitting here if I'd suck the head or not... not knowing what is in the thorax region of a lobster. That would have to be something I'd have to not think about until I found out how good it must be. I realize you are only sucking the juice, but still...

What one is after when sucking crawfish heads is the hepatapancreas...It is the digestive gland/organ of the digestive tract. It contains a lot of fat and is loaded up with crawfish flavor...It is commonly and locally referred to as “fat” This ‘fat’ (intense crawfish flavor) is the prize when sucking crawfish heads... along with the seasoned boiling liquid. Its yellow/orange color is what gives crawfish Etouffee its distinctive color. ~~ The heads of crawfish and shrimp make excellent stock due to this “fat”

Have Fun!!!

Bob mate if you google Scampi Buzara and sub crawfish you will have a croatian sucking fest.img005.jpg

I remember having crawdads once. I was on vacation with my parents at Lake Tahoe. Our neighbours caught a bunch of crayfish and shared with my parents. They cooked and served them like small lobsters. They were really yummy. We didn't suck on the heads :ohmy:

I'll just stick to eating my fish without the heads intact, my lobster, and shrimp and leave the rest to all whom enjoy it. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom