Crazy storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
We had ourselves a crazy storm on Wednesday.
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/255/story/41352.html
We just got the electricity turned back on, after not having it for the last two days. I was stuck at home with the kids yesterday, I let dh take the car to work. It was exhausting, especially after it got dark. We only had one flashlight, so I built a fire too. The kids went to bed an hour early and I began reading a book I thought I'd never read. Desperate times call for desperate measures. What a mess though. We have big tree branches scattered throughout our property. I was afraid of one of the trees falling on the house, which did happen to some. The trees are so huge and were so violently being blown. dh was at work and he said they had a record number of calls for the fire dept. He also said a huge fir tree behind the fire station fell over. They were out on other calls when it happened but can you imagine? We drove into town today and there are broken trees and branches everywhere! Luckily, I don't think anyone was seriously hurt. Glad it's all overwith.

How bout the other WA residents? How crazy has your weather been the last few days? Record amounts of rainfall, I'm sure. It's the wettest November in history and it's only the 16th!

Cleaning up is always a tough project, but, as long as you and your family are safe, nothing else matters.

corozon - that may be the same storm that killed 8 people on our North Carolina coast. The storm brewed some tornadoes, which in that part of the state hasn't occurred in a couple decades.

I'm glad you are safe though. When Max was little the power going out never bothered me as he went to bed earlier, which left me by firelight reading. As he got older it created scenes where we would light candles all around and play games having some good quality family time and building sleeping pallets in the bedroom where the fireplace was. It seemed that with no electricity we really bonded more/spent more time together and did more family things.

Im glad youre okay, I live in New Hampshire so the worst storms we get is flooding from a rainstorm or an ice storm. I cannot even imagine. I hope all is well for you!

Glad to hear you're ok! I was wondering about you.
It got really windy here too. The neighbors lost a tree but
we were really lucky and only have branches and leaves to clean up today.

I too am just glad you all are ok. It was extremely windy here too. When I got off work it was jerking my husbands big ole' truck all over the highway.....scared me pretty bad but I just prayed hard and hung onto that steering wheel with a death grip :) .

Wow! Sounds like almost everyone is having grumpy and windy weather! Glad to hear everybody is okay.

Kitchenelf, since dh is a firefighter, we have a strict no candle policy in this house. He says most fires are started with candles. I did sit and read by the fireplace though. It was nice but a little uncomfortable. I had to sit on the floor to get enough light to see. :LOL: Yesterday I went to Target and spent $50 on better gear for the next time, whenever that will be.

SizzlininIN, we had a semi jacknife due to the wind! Glad that your deathgrip is stong!

I have good memories of childhood when the lights went out. Like elf said, we spent time together. We'd light candles and play games or read or take up the blinds and watch the fantastic lighting storms. I wish I could go back and relive that.

Here's hoping to some sunshine for everyone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom