Creative people, share your ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
OK, I need to get a gift, just one gift that's around $5. It's for a game that will be played at a women's mentoring meeting. There's always the obvious ideas, such as lotions, candles, starbuck's gift card, potpourri. But, I'd really like something different and unexpected and the opposite of ordinary obvious ideas. Unfortunately, my mind can only come up with ordinary, obvious "women" gifts. :LOL: Any ideas you'd like to share??

My mind is right there with yours - BLANK!!!!!

I'm drinking coffee - maybe I'll think of something soon!

How about baking something. This is a cooking forum after all. Maybe banana bread or something a little more untraditional? inexpensive and the gift of time and flavor are always a hit.

How about baking something. This is a cooking forum after all. Maybe banana bread or something a little more untraditional? inexpensive and the gift of time and flavor are always a hit.

Very good idea, but I really don't have the time this time. My today and tomorrow are pretty much booked solid. :wacko: (and the meeting is tomorrow evening) I'll save this idea for next time!

Thanks!:chef:

:)How about one of those little herb garden kits with the little pots and seeds.OR a strawberry garden pot kit with seeds.

Go to a kitchen store and buy the most obscure gadget you can find for that price and everybody can try to guess what it is.

Ok, here are some ideas. I’d suggest going to a closeout store like Big Lots, or to a Dollar Tree (everything costs a Dollar), or even Hobby Lobby and put together a gift pack of sorts. You could even do it at Wal-Mart

Some themes could be:

Movie Night – Get 1 or 2 $1 DVDs (the old classics like Hitchcock or old TV shows) and throw in some microwave popcorn.

Relaxation Pack – At the Dollar tree, get a wine glass, 2 candles, bath salts, and lotion.

Italian Tour – At Big Lots get a Vodka Pasta Sauce, bag of multicolored Pasta, jar of pepperoncini peppers, and a small smoked sausage (each item is $1 or less)

Appetizer pack - Smoked Summer Sausage, Cheese, and Crackers

South of the Border - Salsa, Chips, Jar of Jalapeños, Can of Cheese Dip

Goofy Grilling - Disposable Grill and a Can of Spam (good for a laugh)

---- Or just browse Big Lots for things like:

Emergency Kit – A kit containing aspirin, band aids, surgical tape, etc.....every house needs one

Manicure Kit – A small kit with clippers, nail file, cuticle pusher, etc.

---- or shop around for things like:

Exotic Teas from a coffee shop

Chocolate Candy from just about anywhere

Cookies from a Bakery, add coffee to go with it

Special Artisan breads from a bakery, add dipping oil for $1 from Big Lots

Last edited:
I would go with practical items that everyone can use - preferably cooking/kitchen related, and in neutral tones:chef: If you have a 99 cent store close to you...

Glass pasta containers w locking lids

Oven mitts

Dishtowels

Silicone spatula or cooking utensils

Soup bowls/mugs - I found 4 neutral ceramic soup bowls. I have a few soup mugs, each one has a different recipe printed on the mug i.e. tomato soup, mushroom soup etc.

Salad bowls

Coffee mugs

Refrigerator magnets

Ramekins or dessert serving dishes. I found 4 white ceramic dessert dishes shaped like flower petals.

Food storeage containers w lids - for pasta, lasagna, rice etc

Suction hooks

Cutting board

Picture frames, scrapbooking kits/items

Walk around a 99 cent store, & you will find lots of gifting items.

Keltin, looks like we were posting around the same time. Great minds think alike.:)

Last edited:
Do ya' think it is about great minds......or are we both just deranged? :LOL:

No, just cheap :LOL: j/k I like the 99 cent stores. Gotta stay away from them. You can get a few good deals on everyday junk, er practical things.

Last edited:
what?! No one in the windshield wiper camp?...
sad_smile.gif

No, just cheap :LOL: j/k I like the 99 cent stores. Gotta stay away from them. You can get a few good deals on everyday junk, er practical things.

Ahem.....I was going to say "frugal" (I'm holding my pinky up as I type that). Nah.....I'm cheap! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I like the 99 cent stores too. I've made out like a bandit on containers, glasses, trays, etc. It's the best place to get small glass or SS bowls for mise en place. You can even find imported sauces and spices at some of them! Big Lots is fun as well, and you can find some great dollar deals in there.

I am not much into dollar stores except for gift bags so I would say gift cards. I think a $5 dollar gift card to block buster, starbucks or any other coffee shop or baskin robbins is better and they can always add a bit more to it and use it than the cheap stuff from dollar stores. Again strictly my opinion.

I am not much into dollar stores except for gift bags so I would say gift cards. I think a $5 dollar gift card to block buster, starbucks or any other coffee shop or baskin robbins is better and they can always add a bit more to it and use it than the cheap stuff from dollar stores. Again strictly my opinion.

Ever been to a Dollar Store? A glass bowl is a glass bowl is a glass bowl. Watch Food Network sometime and check out the little mise en place bowls that Emeril or other cooks are using. I’ve bought them 2 for a dollar at a dollar store. I cannot possibly fathom why anyone would pay more for mise en place bowls.

And gift cards are so bland and just scream “I’m lazy and have no creativity” in my opinion. Why not just hand them the $5 in cash so that you don’t force them to go to the store that you bought the card at? But again, that is strictly my opinion and POV.

Last edited:
Ahem.....I was going to say "frugal" (I'm holding my pinky up as I type that). Nah.....I'm cheap! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I like the 99 cent stores too. I've made out like a bandit on containers, glasses, trays, etc. It's the best place to get small glass or SS bowls for mise en place. You can even find imported sauces and spices at some of them! Big Lots is fun as well, and you can find some great dollar deals in there.

:LOL: Yes I meant frugal. Kidding aside, they do have some good deals - i.e. I pay $3-4 dollars at the market for bagels, when I can get them for a buck there - & they are fresh. The glass pasta jars were a good find. The down side is, sometimes you wind up w more crap then you 'bargained' for. :LOL: Gotta go check out Big Lots some day.;)

You can definitely get some good deals at the Dollar Stores, and they are great sources for party fun. Every year at Christmas, my DW and I go to a Dollar Store and buy about $25 or so worth of stuff and then wrap it up.

Then we push all of the “real" presents to the back of the Christmas Tree, and load all the dollar gifts up front with no names on them. The tree is absolutely bulging. Then, when it’s time to open presents, we all gather around and sit in a circle on the floor near the tree and DW picks one of the dollar gifts and passes it to the first person. They open it, and then it’s time for the second person. Once two or more have been opened, you can then “trade” what you have for what someone else haves, if they want to trade. When you get to where about 15 or so gifts have been opened, the bartering and trading is insane and quite funny.

This little game is inexpensive and good for an hour or more of fun, and THEN we get to open the real presents. It’s a blast. And I find it odd every year that someone in the group actually wants that pair of “fuzzy dice”. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I like consumable gifts that I don't have to find places for, don't have to dust and wouldn't normally buy for myself.

Like a $15 bottle of wine. Or a jar of imported olives. Or a selection of cheeses. Or some imported soppressettas and salamis. Or just give me a $15 gift card to Trader Joe's and I'll go get them myself. :)

p.s. Keltin, that game is called a "Yankee Swap" around here, and it's ubiquitous at Christmas time. The best version I ever played was one where each person had to wrap up the item from their home that they most wanted to get rid of LOL! It was great!

Lee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom