Crete On A Plate & Photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
;) Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Crete On A Plate ...

Written By: Margi Cintrano

In the course of one year, time and time again, neighbors had sat my two daughters Naia & Nathalia and I down in their kitchen and showed us their culinary products, skills and how to´s ...

One of these elderly lovely ladies, was the gracious and unforgettable Georgia who wrapped these thin luscious cheese and spinach filled pies and prepared these local Cretan artisanal pastries.

Watching her was amazing, as she turned these dough concoctions into coiled Sultan shaped turbans and other uncountable shapes, and patties layered with greens called Kaltsounia. The Sultan coiled shaped head covering pastries are called Sarikopittes.

Here are a few scanned photos without digital; during the time we had spent in Crete 1993 - 1994 and I had published a series of articles & columns on Classic Cretan & regional Greek Cuisine which I published for various Expat Press Publications over the years living abroad.

Till this day, we think of her very fondly and maintain contact & visits with her niece and daughter.

foto 1 - Heavenly ...
foto 2 - Local Cretan cheese at main Market
foto 3 - The Cretan Green Savoury Pies

Attachments

• EL MAR CRETA.jpg
    EL MAR CRETA.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 171
  • HANIA PORT.jpg
    HANIA PORT.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 167
  • GREENS PIES.jpg
    GREENS PIES.jpg