"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've always preferred terra firma. There is no value, to me, of being packed into a giant file cabinet full of people so I can float upon large bodies of water.

I love, love, love the ground. I like trees, and woods, flowers, etc. Even though cruise ships are large, I would feel too confined. When I want to go OUT and do something I don't want to have to wait until the vessel is in port to do so.

There's too much on land that I haven't seen and I would rather do that than sleep in a cubicle and be confined during the day. Cruising simply isn't for me so those who enjoy it can have my share of it.

I don't mean to sound sour, but I've never been one to be "directed" when I want to be on vacation. I just like to go where the wind blows.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H
I've always preferred terra firma. There is no value, to me, of being packed into a giant file cabinet full of people so I can float upon large bodies of water.

I love, love, love the ground. I like trees, and woods, flowers, etc. Even though cruise ships are large, I would feel too confined. When I want to go OUT and do something I don't want to have to wait until the vessel is in port to do so.

There's too much on land that I haven't seen and I would rather do that than sleep in a cubicle and be confined during the day. Cruising simply isn't for me so those who enjoy it can have my share of it.

I don't mean to sound sour, but I've never been one to be "directed" when I want to be on vacation. I just like to go where the wind blows.
Cruising isn't for everybody, but I've never felt "directed" on a cruise vacation. I enjoy both cruising and land vacations, this year and last are land vacations, but next year will be a cruise because it is a much more relaxing vacation. I have a great time going to new places on a land vacation, but finding my way around a new area, having to find decent places to eat, doesn't leave much room to just chill out. That and we aren't really nature people, even though I grew up in the sticks in Maine. Cruises for us are just an easy going vacation, where we do very little and recharge our batteries. I really enjoy being at sea.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
Master Chef

I always thought it would be nice to make the crossing on a grand ship but, these floating hotels really don't appeal to me. I guess I will just sit on the dock and dangle my feet in the water while I wait for my ship to come in.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Master Chef

I've been on twelve cruises, both river and sea, in the last five years so I guess you could say I like it a lot! The best part about it is unpacking once, and having nearly daily ports of call. It's really a seamless way to travel, but not for everyone. I'd never cruise again if I couldn't have a balcony though. Once you have one, you're spoiled forever.

Like everyone else, I'm horrified with not only the "chicken of the sea" Captain, but also the crew! For the crew to tell the passengers they were not in danger while the ship is listing, and to return to their rooms is outrageous. I'd imagine the 21 people they are still searching for are in their rooms with their life jackets on. What a good lesson in always questioning authority!

This will not keep me from cruising any more than the last plane crash will keep me out of the sky.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Kay, started he cruising career as an assistant Maitre D for celebrity.I have two close friends who were cruise ship mastersClick image for larger version

Name:	padeswood 038.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	12898My wife is a certified fire fighter (miami coastguard) who after a general alarm( 7 short blasts and one long blast of the horn) secured her muster station then put on her firefighting equip and went to the engine room to fight the fire, the skill of the master and crew saved the ship.The Master was a very tough Greek Captain, the crew were trained the Greek way, my wife said it was one of the only times she and her muster crew were allowed to use any method to keep the pax under control, she speaks 7 languages and swears like a docker with each.
The crew must follow the orders from the bridge so if the Master says the pax must go to the cabins that what they do.
We both watched the Fox prog about this disaster yesterday, my wife was very angry.
On our third cruise in the carib as pax staying in a cat 12 cabin, first time and last time with Carnival the drill was so poor in my wifes eyes that when the officers came to the station to de muster my wife told them in perfect gutter Italian what she thought.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post

Wow Katie, you've nailed my opinion of taking a cruise. I see no point in it. With hundreds of places to see in my own country, why in the world would I pay all that money, have to drive all the way to the departure point, be herded into pens, eat mass produced foods and be subject to the over-priced tourist junk in other countries?

I'll jump in the van and drive to a place in the USA I haven't seen yet, but is famous. There's thousands of them to go to.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy

Wow Katie, you've nailed my opinion of taking a cruise. I see no point in it. With hundreds of places to see in my own country, why in the world would I pay all that money, have to drive all the way to the departure point, be herded into pens, eat mass produced foods and be subject to the over-priced tourist junk in other countries?

I'll jump in the van and drive to a place in the USA I haven't seen yet, but is famous. There's thousands of them to go to.
Cruises have allowed me to see places and do things that I would not have been able to afford otherwise. If it was the horror show that you describe, millions of people wouldn't do it week after week.

The food can be quite good, mass produced or not.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote