"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Cruising

In light of the Concordia tragedy are you questioning the safety of these vessels.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Master Chef

Sure am. On top of this, I remember another time a few years back when the captain & crew were mostly Italian ... and did the same. Jumped ship ahead of the passengers. I hate flying, but have to say I can't remember hearing of an emergency landing where the attendants and crew abandoned the plane ahead of the passengers.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I've been on 11 cruises. As far as the ships themselves, I'm not worried.

After this tragedy, you can bet that the ship's captains are going to be managed more tightly than before, not just Carnival corp (over 100 ships under multiple lines) but on other lines as well.

This means no disrespect to the Italian people, but from reviews I have read (I've read a cruise forum for years now), Italian cruises take a bit of getting used to. Italians (and could be other Europeans) don't queue in the same orderly fashion that Americans tend to do, there is a lot of pushing to the head of a queue, survival of the fittest, this seems most evident at buffets and such. This isn't to say that they are bad people, but this is just their everyday way of life.

Combine that with a crew that is getting poor, if any direction, and a captain that is just looking after himself, and you have a recipe for disaster.

You can bet that there is going to be a complete overhaul in regards to safety procedures, to make sure this type of thing never happens again. Cruises will likely be safer than they were before. I don't think you will see captains joy riding off course anymore.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
In light of the Concordia tragedy are you questioning the safety of these vessels.
I'm not. I worked on a cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico back in the 80s. We literally did hundreds of excursions and I never once felt unsafe, even in rough seas. Statistically speaking, the odds are probably better of dying from a meteor strike than sinking on a cruise ship (of course, those folks on the Titanic probably said the same thing ).

For the last several months my wife and I have been talking about booking a Scandinavia/Russia cruise in 2013 for our 25th. We're still planning to forge ahead. Not to sound flippant about the Costa Concordia event - because it truly was a heartbreaking tragedy for those involved - but if anything, it will likely cause a drop in cruise prices for awhile.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I hate cruising...I find the rooms too cramped and the number of people overwhelming. So it will not change my feelings about going on a cruise. The only one I would consider would be the one that goes up to the Lofoten Islands off the coast of Norway. It is a small cruise ship and the food is outstanding (according to those I know who have done this). And, the reason I'd do that one is because my ancestors had the trading post there and the boathouse is still standing (and there are relatives in the area).
Old 01-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Did a cruise years ago with Mom and sibs. It was OK, but so many people, and while plentiful, the food was highly overrated. Getting the bar bill at the end was a real shock.

They were very safety-conscious, and we had our lifeboat drill the day after boarding.

Now, we just stay on an island we adore and see the cruisers in town and at the beach bars. They're all gone by late afternoon.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The only cruise I've ever considered seriously is the Riverboat Cruise on the Columbia River. Or a 3 hour tour...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The only cruise I've ever considered seriously is the Riverboat Cruise on the Columbia River. Or a 3 hour tour...
on the S.S. Minnow?

TV trivia: The S.S. Minnow was named after Newton N. Minnow the chairman of the FCC that referred to television as the "vast wasteland". It was sort of a joke by Sherwood Schwartz the creator of Gilligan's Island.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I enjoy cruises, mainly because they can be a bargain. I don't expect gourmet food, but in my experience the dining room food is usually pretty darned good, the buffets on the other hand are never that great. On the last cruise I was on, on the same deck, but in different areas, there was a place to get 24 hour pizza, a burger place, Indian, sit down pasta restaurant and asian, I often ate at these instead of the regular buffets, the food was good and quite interesting.

Cruise ships have a lot of people on them, but I find myself doing like I do at home regarding traffic on the highways, I avoid peak times, 12 noon at a buffet will be a mad house, 8 am breakfast buffet will be the same, if you adjust by just an hour, it is much more pleasant.

We have been on enough where we don't feel that we have to do everything, we just go to relax, be entertained and fed, with a shore excursion thrown in here or there. Even with as many people as there are on ships, there is always a place to go and get away from the crowds and read a book, listen to music etc. We are lucky enough to have friends to travel with that don't drag us to do every little thing.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
on the S.S. Minnow?

TV trivia: The S.S. Minnow was named after Newton N. Minnow the chairman of the FCC that referred to television as the "vast wasteland". It was sort of a joke by Sherwood Schwartz the creator of Gilligan's Island.
LOL! Nailed in one.