"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

A very good point was brought up. If you are very knowledgeable about a subject, it is always harder to watch something that goes against what you know. My mom and I loved shows like "The Waltons" and "Little House on the Prairie," but now and then they would do something that just rankled us! For instance, Grandma Walton was supposed to be such a good bread baker, but it was almost painful to watch her "knead" bread dough, poking it a little with her fingers. And on one episode of "Little House..." Albert put potatoes in the wood-burning oven to bake. The potatoes exploded, and Albert immediately scooped the potatoes out of what was supposed to be a blazing hot oven with his bare hands! I just about lost it!

So, I think we all have things we find hard to watch because of our own level of knowledge. Some of us can put up with one thing but not another.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

If real life CSI had the same success rate, all the crimes would have been solved long ago, all the criminals arrested and we would live in complete peace and harmony.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There's a lot about the CSI shows I find ridiculous, but I find all of them entertaining, except for CSI Miami. I like their computers and view it as science fiction, but the characters just don't seem believable to me. Caine always looks like he's posing for a catalog, and the dress code on all of the CSI shows is absurd and distracting.

I have a problem with the Law & Order shows. I didn't watch it until recently, and found some interesting topics sometimes, but that "nervous violin" music sets me on edge. I often watch with closed captioning so I don't have to hear that constant irritating "music".

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
If real life CSI had the same success rate, all the crimes would have been solved long ago, all the criminals arrested and we would live in complete peace and harmony.
Charlie, if only that were true. The idea that all crime could be ended has been explored in a novelistic genre that might be called "futuristic dystopia," such as George Orwell's 1984 (a novel that from our present day perspective could be seemingly about the past but was written in 1949), Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, and Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. The premise to all of them, it seemed to me, is that you cannot control human nature except by having an oppressive society. It's the classic question, do the ends justify the means? It seems that it's human nature to commit crimes, and I cannot imagine any free society that wouldn't also involve crime and criminals.

If you make it impossible to commit crime then you will also make impossible to enjoy freedom. Sad but true. IMO
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Wine Guy

I've never seen a single episode, but from the sounds of things, I guess I'm not missing a lot. I don't mind fiction, but I don't care for over-the-top programs. I like history and I diy type shows. Occasionally movies.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
There's a lot about the CSI shows I find ridiculous, but I find all of them entertaining, except for CSI Miami. I like their computers and view it as science fiction, but the characters just don't seem believable to me. Caine always looks like he's posing for a catalog, and the dress code on all of the CSI shows is absurd and distracting.
Zhizara your post had me almost ROTFLMAO! I cannot imagine any reality that doesn't include David Caruso ("Lt. Horatio Caine") posing as a male clothing model. Maybe he never dis that but I totally believe he could have a successful career in that if he had not become an actor. All the actors in CSI both the men and the women have very stylish good looks. I certainly can't criticize them for that, although perhaps envy them...

Perhaps more on their dress code? I'll admit I'm not much into fashion. (Is T-shirt, blue jeans and athletic shoes fashion? ) It seems reasonable to me that their dress code wouldn't relate to reality either. What does a CSI Lt. wear while driving his official issue Hummer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I have a problem with the Law & Order shows. I didn't watch it until recently, and found some interesting topics sometimes, but that "nervous violin" music sets me on edge. I often watch with closed captioning so I don't have to hear that constant irritating "music".
You've picked upon the single, most irritating reason I cannot watch that damned Law & Order series, that "dum-dum-dum" (whatever) note they keep playing as they introduce each new scene. That damned noise drove me from the very first year into not watching it because I just couldn't stand it. And the subtitles, I forgot what they called it, section blah-blah-blah in such-and-so court... (Not the closed captioning, which I often use.) That damned noise made it impossible for me to watch the series. I wonder if the producers even have any inkling of this. I'm pretty sure you and I agree on what is infuriating about it, and if there's two of us just on the forum then maybe many people dislike it.

There was a TV news program, I think on the ABC network, they slightly changed their signature theme music, changed the cadence of it, and so many viewers hated it that they changed it back.

I think I mentioned the "death of a thousand cuts" earlier in this topic (or maybe a different topic). I believe the original quote deals with something like paper cuts. But that's the point. One CSI episode I could deal with. What I can't handle is that week after week they insult those of us who really know technology, and from what another DC member said they insult those who really know law enforcement and LE procedures and protocols.

I'm just waiting for them to run an instant DNA comparison from their cellphone!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i love law and order in all it's forms." law and order, criminal intent" the best. i used to watch csi. after a couple of years i got tired of the same old plot. the miami version , i only watched once. t.v. here and i have cable is pathetic. give me a law and order rerun anytime, rather than the reality shows. they are stupid. i have enough of reality in my own life. thank you very much.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I just look at the stuff as entertainment. The sad thing is some folks actually can't make the separation between reality and entertainment. You find the same problem with the schtick of all the radio talk show hosts and the foolish listeners that actually take them seriously.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I just look at the stuff as entertainment. The sad thing is some folks actually can't make the separation between reality and entertainment. You find the same problem with the schtick of all the radio talk show hosts and the foolish listeners that actually take them seriously.
To me it's like home cooking vs. McDonalds......
Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
To me it's like home cooking vs. McDonalds......
What, you don't think Mickey D's is real food?