"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thing with House is...I can diagnose most of his patients in the first 5 minutes and nail it 80% of the time. I'm not really a doctor, I just play one at home.

I can't watch House, it makes me angry watching how he treats people.
I can't watch House. He's a nasty jerk! There are already too many IRL.

Bones and The Closer get way too silly to be entertaining. I'll watch, but only if there is nothing else on.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I can't watch CSI. It's so wildly unrealistic. "Let's enhance this grainy, blurry CCTV security video to the point where we can clearly see the murderer in the reflection of the glasses the dead dude was wearing." Wait... wut? And the problem with the popularity of shows like that is that the average jury is *filled* with people who watch them, and thereby expect a standard of proof that's all but impossible to deliver.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozz View Post
I can't watch CSI. It's so wildly unrealistic. "Let's enhance this grainy, blurry CCTV security video to the point where we can clearly see the murderer in the reflection of the glasses the dead dude was wearing." Wait... wut? And the problem with the popularity of shows like that is that the average jury is *filled* with people who watch them, and thereby expect a standard of proof that's all but impossible to deliver.
That's two good points! First, the idea that you can just keep enhancing and enhancing and enhancing until you finally get the detail you need. Star Trek started that bogus idea. Now CSI is continuing it. The reality is that whatever grain your film has or whatever the pixel size of your video image has, places a limit on how much information is stored in the image. It is possible to make an image appear somewhat less grainy but it's impossible to just keep deblurring and zooming and expect to get any detail you want if you keep at it long enough. That's just fake.

And you're right that CSI and other crime shows are dumbing down the public particularly jury pools, leading them to expect impossibly perfect evidence. Real life isn't like that.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #34
Wine Guy

Quote:
I can't watch CSI. It's so wildly unrealistic. "Let's enhance this grainy, blurry CCTV security video to the point where we can clearly see the murderer in the reflection of the glasses the dead dude was wearing." Wait... wut?
I haven't watched any of the CSI programs, but I've noticed similar things on other programs. For example, all of the computers people use on television seem to be magical wonders of technology. In fact, they almost always use technologies that haven't been invented yet. Watch Hawaii Five-O sometime for a good laugh. Apparently they are able to take a cell phone photo of a smudged fingerprint, beam it across the island into their table-sized tablet computer and, within 2-3 seconds (accompanied by a lot of high tech noises), link it to a satellite photograph of a suspect living somewhere in the jungles of Singapore.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
Executive Chef

I'm surprised they didn't just shoot the print from the cellphone and have an App pop up the perpetrator's picture, full biography and current location including a real time satellite image of exactly what he's doing at the present moment. With audio! (That satellite audio technology is very tricky...)

I used to watch the original Hawaii Five-O, tried to watch one of the new episodes for about five minutes and couldn't stand that. Call that five minutes of zero interest instead of Five-O. It was ridiculous to cast pretty boys as the lead characters, in this and in many shows. What are character actors doing for employment these days? Just playing bad guys? I bet if Karl Malden was alive these days and wanted a job these days he'd be stuck playing a baddie.

(In Streets of San Francisco they paired character actor Malden with Michael Douglas as the good looking young guy, giving the series' protagonists balance.)
Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #36
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I used to watch the original Hawaii Five-O, tried to watch one of the new episodes for about five minutes and couldn't stand that. Call that five minutes of zero interest instead of Five-O. It was ridiculous to cast pretty boys as the lead characters, in this and in many shows.
To tell the truth, I've never noticed the pretty boys on that show. I watch it mostly for the pretty (and often bikini-clad) girls.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #37
Executive Chef

That's one problem with many present day TV programs, that all the characters look like they could have been fashion models. (Probably many of them have worked as models in the past.) It's another unrealistic part of most TV programs today. They substitute style for substance, they substitute special effects instead of interesting plots. They have gloss instead of substance.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I worry about the long-term effects of hiring actors based on their looks. In 30 years, who will be our established actors, playing the post-ingenue roles? No one coming up in Hollywood seems to possess the necessary gravitas to age well and portray serious adult roles with any sense of believability.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I worry about the long-term effects of hiring actors based on their looks. In 30 years, who will be our established actors, playing the post-ingenue roles? No one coming up in Hollywood seems to possess the necessary gravitas to age well and portray serious adult roles with any sense of believability.

Don't worry. The public will get what they want because they control ticket sales. Pretty boys are everywhere because pretty boys sell tickets.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Don't worry. The public will get what they want because they control ticket sales. Pretty boys are everywhere because pretty boys sell tickets.
I work in a library. That's enough to worry me about the general public making important decisions like that.