"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
Another custom which a lot of people are familiar with is eating with your fingers. Also we eat using right hand. That's the appropriate custom. No one uses two hands or left unless they are a kid or left handed.
I worked with a guy from Eretria (Ethiopia), where they also eat with their hand. I asked what you do if you're left handed and he said that "if you are left handed, you are not left handed."

Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #22
Executive Chef

In Quebec, instead of greeting someone with a hug and a kiss, you kiss them on both cheeks.

When I visit Maryland or Virginia, I am always called "Miss Loprraine". Either they are very polite, or I am very old.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
We do this, too. My 5 year old calls all my friends Mr. or Miss and every adult he meets at the grocery store or in a restaurant or the lady who cuts his hair!
It's the same in Virginia. Miss Kim is one thing - but I will never forget the time my neighbor's daughter first called DH Mr. Dan. I thought that was the funniest thing! Of course, we grew up in Michigan, so were not really familiar with this custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
And I always refer to anyone older than me as Ma'am or Sir as well. In the south, it's just good manners.
I still can't get used to this one and we moved here in 1985.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
In Quebec, instead of greeting someone with a hug and a kiss, you kiss them on both cheeks.

When I visit Maryland or Virginia, I am always called "Miss Loprraine". Either they are very polite, or I am very old.
I love that! Actually, the first time I got Ma'am ed, I was really shocked. I never thought of myself as old enough to merit a Ma'am. But I was always called Miss Terry from the time I started babysitting for other people's kids as a teenager.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I still can't get used to this one and we moved here in 1985.
It's true that lots of people don't like being referred to as Sir or Ma'am - even some southerners. What they usually say is: Oh, you must be referring to my father (or mother)! Then I try really hard to remember not to Sir or Ma'am them.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I have a friend who is from China. He told me in China they don't eat food with their hands. If your sitting at a table and someone touches the food with their hands, everyone at the table will get up and leave. I didn't ask him if the food was on your own plate would touching it be ok or not. I guess if its in a serving bowl that everyone gets food from its a definite no no.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #27
Master Chef

Wow, what great responses. I knew my DC friends wouldn't let me down. My assignment now will consist of pick out 3 and translating them to ASL. That won't be as much fun as reading all your responses. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

When growing up we were always taught to respect our elders as well. However if we ever called someone Mr. or Mrs. we would inevitably get the following response...

"My mother is Mrs. Jones. You can call me Ann. Just how old do you think I am?"
Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #29
Everymom

OK, at this point, I forget who asked if it is all over Canada that the custom of removing your shoes is prevalent. I can't speak for every household (Thanks Loprraine for your comment BTW) Canada is a BIG place. I can say that every home I have visited here has the same custom except for those folks that have lived in the US.

GotGarlic, I get you with the cold floor thing, but its not really an issue inside. Do they heat with something other than natural gas where you were from maybe? The floors usually stay pretty warm inside even when its 50 freezies outside here. We have hardwood and tile throughout the main part of the house and I am barefoot all year round.

OK, and just to be contradictory, in the summer, I go barefoot outside and in...therefore tracking all kinds of crap in during the summer. Go figure.

Good thing you didn't ask about the reasoning behind the custom because I sure couldn't answer you on that one. You should check out the thread on chopsticks for customs too. There are some good ones in that thread.

Oh, and my kids both use an honorific in front of an adults first name. Rather than calling their best friends Mom Mrs ____, its Miss Maryanne etc. Its a way of preserving a respectful distance and yet acknowledging their closer relationship.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #30
Head Chef

When I was a kid my father would knock my head into next week If I addressed any body older than me by there first names it was allways Mr-------. Mam---- Miss------
and today it is still Mam,Mr, Miss Mrs. It has done me well