"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by GB View Post
In the US the traditional color to wear when mourning someones death is Black. In some other countries (Korea for one I believe) white is what is worn for mourning.
In an art class I took in college we had to do a group presentation about color. Almost everyone started talking about the most boring sounding presentations, but I never liked writing on the same topics or doing a carbon copy of someone else's presentation, so I suggested something else to my group. Our presentation was about the colors of weddings and funerals all over the world. My group looked at me a little weird at first, but they all ended up getting into the topic.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #32
Master Chef
Wedding tradition in Kazakhstan---to decorate the outside of the newlywed's car with ribbons & flowers and accompanied by close friends and family caravan and visit several important monuments in the area, take photos, and leave some flowers as a tribute

Birthday tradition in K---you bring your own cake to celebrate with others

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #33
Master Chef
I just noticed the posts on shoes----here in K.(where winter temps. can get to -40) the apartments are very small but they usually have large entranceways (even have a special name for it) and everyone is expected to take off their shoes, boots in this room. That way all the dirt, mud, sludge, etc. is confined to one place. Most places have extra warm slippers to provide for their guests to wear while inside. Workmen and others just remove their shoes. I have lived here going on 3 years and have yet to pick up "anything". :) Even at the school where I volunteer, the children have both "indoor" and "outdoor" shoes.
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #34
Executive Chef
As long as I have 3 dogs and 2 cats running in and out of the house the taking off the shoes is not gonna happpen.As much as I try to keep the floors clean the dogs have this amazing ability to find the smallest mud hole and drag it into the house. Thats OK I love them anyway.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #35
Sous Chef
In our culture (Indian) a man and a woman generally never touch each other if they are not family members. They only touch the feet of the older person with hand (pranam).
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
I do, however, have some ďtree-hugging WiccanĒ friends (THEY call themselves that, not me!!) that do this. I think itís cool, but his wife keeps such a high polish on her hard wood floors, that Iíve come close (more than once!) to killing myself whilst walking sock-footed across those near glass-like surfaces!

They picked up the idea when they lived in China and just kept doing it once they moved back here. Didnít know it was the norm in other parts of the world too.

time to practice your moon walk, or your tom cruise/"risky business" imitation.
umm, but keep your pants on. don't wiccans worship a full moon?
ok, well, nevermind.

alix, the "shoes off" thing must be traditional to many snowy countries, besides asian ones. my mom is from norway, and we had the same rule. i feel kinda funny walking around in my shoes in someone's house, actually.

you'd think the same would be true in arrid countries, because of all of the dust and dirt. think of the tradition of foot washing on holy thursday.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:48 AM   #37
Sous Chef
In India there is no touching, kissing, hugging or hand holding. Went with my bf to see his parents in India. I believe I was able to put my arm through his though (i guess this constitutes as touching...ooo wah! ) hehehehe :):)

In Australia, you see people "smooching" in public and no one cares

I like people to keep their shoes on inside :) My parents have tiles through their house and make sure people leave shoes on, i unfortunately have carpet and insist on shoes as well.

Tips at restaurants are not Mandatory
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #38
Sous Chef
When I was sent to Korea while I was in the Army there were a couple things that were a shock to us. The biggest thing was seeing young men walking withe there arms around eachother or "arm in arm". You expect girls to do this but not guys. It took a while getting used to especially for the male soldiers.

Another thing was when you went out shopping you always bartered. At first I was kinda shy about it, but then it got fun.
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown
jeninga75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #39
BT, I agree, I think it has to do with all the snow and crud being tracked through the house.

jpmcgrew, I have pets too, and we train our dogs to sit just inside the door when they come in and we wipe their feet, or dig the snow balls out of their fuzzy feet. If they won't tolerate that then they have to sit on a big mat til they clean their own feet. LOL. Somewhat time consuming, but it works for me.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #40
Master Chef
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We have hosted exchange students from several European countries, and in Germany and Denmark, at least, people greet each other with a kiss on both cheeks.
you don't usually do that in G... I know this from France and Switzerland, but not from Germany..

I must admit, I don't know, what's so special about german culture, 'cause I grew up with it and so it's just normal to me..

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote