"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with lurkers. I would not have joined here without lurking around first and seeing how people react to each other and the kind of comradery that makes this place so special. You don't just sign up without knowing what your getting into.
I was teasing.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
I was teasing.
That's fine. I was putting in the good points for lurkers, that's all. I thought that was the point of you starting the thread, sorry.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #13
Master Chef

Here are some things to consider before we try to make our "guests" into "lurkers":

Threads are generally picked up my Google within 24-hours ... so someone looking for a recipe might get a hit here. Do you sign up to join every website you visit when looking for a recipe?

DC (like the Internet) has a global reach - we have members in France, UK, Australia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Asia, etc. (I've lost track of all of the countries). I'm not sure that they are all concerned with our time zones, or NASCAR/American Football schedules. They visit on their schedules - not our time zones.

And, I don't know anyone who is a member here that wasn't a "guest" first.

What we say, and how we behave ourselves, might make the difference between someone just visiting or becoming a member. IMHO - we should welcome guests and hope they become members - not insult them by calling them lurkers before they have had a chance to look us over.

Just my humble opinion ....
Old 10-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Here are some things to consider before we try to make our "guests" into "lurkers":

Threads are generally picked up my Google within 24-hours ... so someone looking for a recipe might get a hit here. Do you sign up to join every website you visit when looking for a recipe?

DC (like the Internet) has a global reach - we have members in France, UK, Australia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Asia, etc. (I've lost track of all of the countries). I'm not sure that they are all concerned with our time zones, or NASCAR/American Football schedules. They visit on their schedules - not our time zones.

And, I don't know anyone who is a member here that wasn't a "guest" first.

What we say, and how we behave ourselves, might make the difference between someone just visiting or becoming a member. IMHO - we should welcome guests and hope they become members - not insult them by calling them lurkers before they have had a chance to look us over.

Just my humble opinion ....
Jeez...lighten up. It was a joke.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
And concerning this thread, it is “Michael in For The Win”.

Sorry, I just can't help but read it that way.

Anyway, great post!

On the DC Homepage, at the bottom, is a tracker icon. You can click that and see various stats about the site. Here is the page concerning where everyone is coming from. Talk about international!!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
IMHO - we should welcome guests and hope they become members - not insult them by calling them lurkers before they have had a chance to look us over.
The term lurker is not an insult. It is just a term to describe someone who comes onto a forum and browses without posting. It is not a derogatory term at all.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I don't think lurker is an insult.

I did learn something today. I was looking for a recipe and I googled it from my IE browser instead of Firefox and I ended up getting a link to this site. I was watching Two and a half Men and they mentioned stuffed mushrooms. It sounded good so I googled in and I ended up here in the appetizer section. So the site owners should be proud, recipe searches bring people here which explains all those guests just a little bit more.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I, too, have no problem with the term "lurker." I just think of them as members who haven't joined yet.

I wasn't a lurker because this site was recommended to me by someone I trusted and respected who was a member on another food site to which I belonged. I joined purely on their advice and I'm very glad I did.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
On the DC Homepage, at the bottom, is a tracker icon. You can click that and see various stats about the site. Here is the page concerning where everyone is coming from. Talk about international!!
Those are amazing stats - is there a country left out? It is great to see so many people involved. On a previous forum, we were much more limited in the appeal and reach.

Hopefully we garner all those different recipes and techniques to give a truely unique international flavour to the cooking we all do.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:34 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

michael may have taken things a bit seriously (no...really? ), but he does make a good point as usual that shouldn't be lost. .

making the site a welcoming place, as well as friendly, supportive, entertaining, and most impotantly informative will change lurkers into texasgirl. OMG!!!!!!

but seriously, if you want to see lurkers register and participate, make fun of the admins... er, i mean, be an instrument of friendship, and a open soul, willing to both teach and learn.

other than that, point at the lurkers and repeat "hoot hoot hoot" until they join or leave out of intimidation.

that is all...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote