Currently Active Users: 650 (38 members and 612 guests)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with lurkers. I would not have joined here without lurking around first and seeing how people react to each other and the kind of comradery that makes this place so special. You don't just sign up without knowing what your getting into.

I didn't know search engine hits count. I Googled to find this place. I was at a forum with nice people, but no one liked to cook or wanted to talk about cooking so I Googled and found this place. I lurked for a while before jumping in. I gotta admit, that's still a lot of lurkers for a Sunday morning.

I didn't know search engine hits count. I Googled to find this place. I was at a forum with nice people, but no one liked to cook or wanted to talk about cooking so I Googled and found this place. I lurked for a while before jumping in. I gotta admit, that's still a lot of lurkers for a Sunday morning.

It is, but, think of it this way, Sunday is a day that a lot of people have small lunches with friends or dinners. It's a quiet day for people to relax with friends. People from all around the world could be looking for a certain recipe and DC has a lot of recipes to come up on searches. Plus, you've got football and Nascar on today. Lots of people have parties even for regular games and races. We used to sit outside every Sunday with our small group of neighbors and watch the games on the tv we put outside. {I miss that:ermm:}

The football and NASCAR were why I was thinking it was a lot for a Sunday. I'm generally watching one or both at the same time (well, until NASCAR turned into the "let's hand JG the cup show." And my football game isn't until tonight. It's a very odd Sunday for me and I generally wouldn't be on the computer at all on a Sunday. I guess I'm just used to other places were Sunday is the quietest day of the week.

The football and NASCAR were why I was thinking it was a lot for a Sunday. I'm generally watching one or both at the same time (well, until NASCAR turned into the "let's hand JG the cup show." And my football game isn't until tonight. It's a very odd Sunday for me and I generally wouldn't be on the computer at all on a Sunday. I guess I'm just used to other places were Sunday is the quietest day of the week.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: no offense Middie!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with lurkers. I would not have joined here without lurking around first and seeing how people react to each other and the kind of comradery that makes this place so special. You don't just sign up without knowing what your getting into.

I was teasing.:glare:

Here are some things to consider before we try to make our "guests" into "lurkers":

Threads are generally picked up my Google within 24-hours ... so someone looking for a recipe might get a hit here. Do you sign up to join every website you visit when looking for a recipe?

DC (like the Internet) has a global reach - we have members in France, UK, Australia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Asia, etc. (I've lost track of all of the countries). I'm not sure that they are all concerned with our time zones, or NASCAR/American Football schedules. They visit on their schedules - not our time zones.

And, I don't know anyone who is a member here that wasn't a "guest" first.

What we say, and how we behave ourselves, might make the difference between someone just visiting or becoming a member. IMHO - we should welcome guests and hope they become members - not insult them by calling them lurkers before they have had a chance to look us over.

Just my humble opinion ....

Here are some things to consider before we try to make our "guests" into "lurkers":

Threads are generally picked up my Google within 24-hours ... so someone looking for a recipe might get a hit here. Do you sign up to join every website you visit when looking for a recipe?

DC (like the Internet) has a global reach - we have members in France, UK, Australia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Asia, etc. (I've lost track of all of the countries). I'm not sure that they are all concerned with our time zones, or NASCAR/American Football schedules. They visit on their schedules - not our time zones.

And, I don't know anyone who is a member here that wasn't a "guest" first.

What we say, and how we behave ourselves, might make the difference between someone just visiting or becoming a member. IMHO - we should welcome guests and hope they become members - not insult them by calling them lurkers before they have had a chance to look us over.

Just my humble opinion ....

Jeez...lighten up. It was a joke.

And concerning this thread, it is “Michael in For The Win”. :LOL:

Sorry, I just can't help but read it that way.

Anyway, great post!

On the DC Homepage, at the bottom, is a tracker icon. You can click that and see various stats about the site. Here is the page concerning where everyone is coming from. Talk about international!!

IMHO - we should welcome guests and hope they become members - not insult them by calling them lurkers before they have had a chance to look us over.
The term lurker is not an insult. It is just a term to describe someone who comes onto a forum and browses without posting. It is not a derogatory term at all.

I don't think lurker is an insult.

I did learn something today. I was looking for a recipe and I googled it from my IE browser instead of Firefox and I ended up getting a link to this site. I was watching Two and a half Men and they mentioned stuffed mushrooms. It sounded good so I googled in and I ended up here in the appetizer section. So the site owners should be proud, recipe searches bring people here which explains all those guests just a little bit more.

I, too, have no problem with the term "lurker." I just think of them as members who haven't joined yet.

I wasn't a lurker because this site was recommended to me by someone I trusted and respected who was a member on another food site to which I belonged. I joined purely on their advice and I'm very glad I did.

On the DC Homepage, at the bottom, is a tracker icon. You can click that and see various stats about the site. Here is the page concerning where everyone is coming from. Talk about international!!

Those are amazing stats - is there a country left out? It is great to see so many people involved. On a previous forum, we were much more limited in the appeal and reach.

Hopefully we garner all those different recipes and techniques to give a truely unique international flavour to the cooking we all do.

michael may have taken things a bit seriously (no...really? ;)), but he does make a good point as usual that shouldn't be lost. .

making the site a welcoming place, as well as friendly, supportive, entertaining, and most impotantly informative will change lurkers into texasgirl. OMG!!!!!! :shock:

:-p :-p :-p

but seriously, if you want to see lurkers register and participate, make fun of the admins... er, i mean, be an instrument of friendship, and a open soul, willing to both teach and learn.

other than that, point at the lurkers and repeat "hoot hoot hoot" until they join or leave out of intimidation.

that is all...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom