Custom flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
I need some help with my custom flag for my ATV. Its 24 inches long by 12 inches high. Im thinking of using fabric spray paint because im not going to spend more than 10 bucks on a stupid flag that is gonna get thrashed any way. What i need help with is how to make a stencil of my text in photoshop so i dont cut the wrong lines. Here is a graphic i made of what my flag is gonna look like.

img_654511_0_adb9dad9915034a639311b715b25b566.jpg

I will be using the stencil to be my guide as i spray paint black on the white fabric.

How would you guys do the stencil for the text??

Make a mask out of poster board.

Draw the design on the board, cut it out with an Exacto Knife (or utility knife) and spray away!

PS: You don't need 'art board', that stuff is expensive. And if you can't find board large enough butt tape smaller pieces together.

PPS: Or you could try the same thing with parchment paper (just thinking what you may have on hand), but it may not want to stay put during spraying without a stiffener (ie: Lacquer) applied.

Make a mask out of poster board.

Draw the design on the board, cut it out with an Exacto Knife (or utility knife) and spray away!

thats what i plan on doing but the text is awfuly hard to cut. Maybe i should take out the text and just have the bars..

It sounds like you could print out each word of the text onto a page of card stock or parchment paper. Then, cut the text out with an exacto knife, like Wart said. Then carefully paint the paper with boiled linseed oil. Really saturate it, carefully blot off the excess, and then let it dry hanging on a clothespin for a day or so. It will be much stronger and will make a better stencil.

Also, you could print the text out full size, put it under a piece of the clear plastic that comes with bacon and trace the letters onto the plastic. Then cut them out with an exacto knife. That is a permanent stencil that you can use again.

OK, I just read your post. There is a product that you can buy for inkjet printers. It's a transfer paper that you can print on and then iron onto your fabric. It doesn't work as well on synthetic fabrics but you can use a black sharpie to go over the text to make it nice and black.

OK, I just read your post. There is a product that you can buy for inkjet printers. It's a transfer paper that you can print on and then iron onto your fabric. It doesn't work as well on synthetic fabrics but you can use a black sharpie to go over the text to make it nice and black.

what is synthetic material. I would like to use the same material as a flag is our just use a white t shirt.

what is synthetic material. I would like to use the same material as a flag is our just use a white t shirt.
Synthetics are things like nylon and polyester and acrylic. Non-synthetics would be like cotton, silk, hemp, linen, wool, etc. A white T-shirt is often 100% cotton. Cotton would be a very good choice for using the iron-on transfers. It comes in a package of 15 sheets, I think, but it may be more than you want to spend. (I'm thinking it's about $15 for the package, but I may be wrong.) The least expensive would be cutting your own stencil. You can just not cut out the very thin lines and then when the paint is dry, you can draw the thins in with a black sharpie. Good luck and post a pic when you're done.

Synthetics are things like nylon and polyester and acrylic. Non-synthetics would be like cotton, silk, hemp, linen, wool, etc. A white T-shirt is often 100% cotton. Cotton would be a very good choice for using the iron-on transfers. It comes in a package of 15 sheets, I think, but it may be more than you want to spend. (I'm thinking it's about $15 for the package, but I may be wrong.) The least expensive would be cutting your own stencil. You can just not cut out the very thin lines and then when the paint is dry, you can draw the thins in with a black sharpie. Good luck and post a pic when you're done.

im in luck, i had some hiding that i got from a friend bout 3 years ago or so. hope they are still good.

Office supply stores have packs of different style letters in different sizes. I've only seen them in black.
They have a sticky back. Check them out. They may have others I'm not aware of also.
Craft stores have all kinds of letters for applique-ing.
You could check them out also. They may have sticky backs, or some type of iron on as well.

Office supply stores have packs of different style letters in different sizes. I've only seen them in black.
They have a sticky back. Check them out. They may have others I'm not aware of also.
Craft stores have all kinds of letters for applique-ing.
You could check them out also. They may have sticky backs, or some type of iron on as well.

went to the craft store last night and bought me some nylon fabric, the same stuff a wind breaker jacket is made of or a tent is made of. For the black bars im just gonna paint them on and then the lettering i will either do iron ons or stickies.

but i gotta pull out the ol sewing machine and hem the edges so that it doesnt fly apart on me in the wind.

LT2, they have stuff, oh shoot, I can't think of the name,
that you iron on instead of sewing, that will "hem for you. One use is for when ladie's hems come down on their dresses. It would be perfect for what you need.
Your craft store will have that as well.
The workers there will know what I'm talking about.

LT2, they have stuff, oh shoot, I can't think of the name,
that you iron on instead of sewing, that will "hem for you. One use is for when ladie's hems come down on their dresses. It would be perfect for what you need.
Your craft store will have that as well.
The workers there will know what I'm talking about.

for the edges of the flag right, not for the black bars. I dont want my edges of the flag to fray apart as im ridin at 50MPH. im making it a double sided flag.

Did you finish your flag for the weekend? What did you wind up doing? Did it hold up? PICS?
i did finish it. i have a couple of pics of it finished but not on the fiber glass pole thats i covered with duct tape because fiber glass in the hands and arms sucks.

img_658497_0_9c28ee01415bba257c4a247fea9004dd.jpg

i just need to put text on it. But for now it will work so i dont get in trouble at certain places

Back
Top Bottom