"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Master Chef

I just ordered this cool rain gauge!! It's raining!!

http://www.windandweather.com/rain-g...ogyand153;.htm

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #12
Master Chef

I couldn't see the rain gauge you ordered, Kay...the link was down.

We're going minimalist this year as far as Christmas shopping. It was both of my daughters' ideas, actually. They are done with toys and hours of online shopping, and are more into family gatherings and events, with just a few presents to unwrap under the tree.

I have 6 grandkids ages 1-13, and this year I'm making all of them big, soft, fleece no-sew blankets that aren't cartoon character oriented. I went to the fabric store today and found some nice plaids, some camo for the younger boys, and fave color patterns for the older girls, with color coordinated backing, that they won't outgrow. They'll each get comfy warm new pajamas, and age appropriate books. And we'll make cookies, decorate trees, go to special places, eat, and have fun!

Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #13
Master Chef

Your cozy gifts for your grands sound just perfect Cheryl !

Let's see if this link works...

The Waterfall Rain Gauge by La Crosse Technology™ | Rain Gauges

The link is working right now anyway. I like it because we'll be able to see it from inside the house. Here's hoping it will get some good use this winter!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cyber holiday shopping...

Cheryl, what a great idea! They'll treasure those snuggly blankets and memories.

Love the rain gauge, Kay! And so glad you've got something to put in it!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 AM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks, Dawg and Kay. I have homemade quilts from my grandmas and treasure them, but they aren't practical for every day use. No-sew blankies will have to do and hopefully the grands will have them for a long time. A friend made some for her kids years ago, and they seem to wash and wear and hold up really nice.

I need to get started....kinda scary to be honest, I'm not a very crafty person.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I couldn't see the rain gauge you ordered, Kay...the link was down.

We're going minimalist this year as far as Christmas shopping. It was both of my daughters' ideas, actually. They are done with toys and hours of online shopping, and are more into family gatherings and events, with just a few presents to unwrap under the tree.

I have 6 grandkids ages 1-13, and this year I'm making all of them big, soft, fleece no-sew blankets that aren't cartoon character oriented. I went to the fabric store today and found some nice plaids, some camo for the younger boys, and fave color patterns for the older girls, with color coordinated backing, that they won't outgrow. They'll each get comfy warm new pajamas, and age appropriate books. And we'll make cookies, decorate trees, go to special places, eat, and have fun!
My most treasured gift from my Nana was the year she made quilts for all of the grandchildren, I remember all of us sitting around the living room on Christmas eve wrapped up. We even wrapped up on the way home!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have so many things in transit right now that it should be a steady flow of deliveries for the next week

Of course my new laptop was shipped 2 day priority, and today is day 5, it's scheduled for tomorrow which will be day 6, gee thanks for charging for a service that you can't really perform!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I too am waiting for UPS. He will be making a few trips to my door today also. I ordered myself some new slippers. Right now I have the open back ones and I keep walking right out of them. So I got some with a Velcro crossing and a high back. I have my four new nightgowns. But I do have to hem them all. Stitch Witchery to the rescue! I also ordered The Joy of Cooking for my grandson and his fiancÚ. I am still feeling bad about ruining their dinner.

Now I have to help The Pirate with his cyber buying for his grandkids.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Honey Badger

We went all lazy this year.Bought online small items.Token garage sale fodder.Were all too busy with the house and work schedules this year.Keeping the holidays simple and low keyed.

I was going to buy a few hand boilers on Amazon.The reviews weren't that favorable.Guess they aren't as well made now as they were when I was a kid.
I did buy a few of these.Odd novelty things.They look pretty cool.
They should keep the kids that I bought them for entertained for a while.

Amazon.com - Creative Motion Supernova Color Changing Sphere - Lava Lamp

Still have to find something for the Newlyweds.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My most treasured gift from my Nana was the year she made quilts for all of the grandchildren, I remember all of us sitting around the living room on Christmas eve wrapped up. We even wrapped up on the way home!
Love that....those are the memories I'm hoping to make!