"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Dad blasted little **** ants!

Okay, now, do I have your attention? Well, I don't have the attention of the little varmints I'm complaining about.

Unfortunately, our winter wasn't as cold as it normally is, so we didn't get rid of our teeny, tiny ants. We are plagued with them and it's getting to me.

Doesn't matter how I scrub and clean and try to keep anything clean they want to feed on, "off." The little critters are still here. In droves. In the kitchen, that is. And, it's beginning to GET ON MY NERVES!!!!

Does anyone have a a good way of ridding us of these beasties?

Bear in mind, we have kitties roaming free, which means any poison, etc. needs to be cat-friendly.

Please, please, PLEASE. Someone help!!

Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
DC Grandma

They don't like Boric Acid (cat friendley?) or Bay leaves. I keep Bay Leaves in my cupboards all the time.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
Everymom

Katie E, Dove is right on the money. If you mix equal parts icing sugar and boric acid (mix it well) they will take it back home and it kills the little varmints. Works like a son of a gun.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Wiping down counters, trails, etc. with rubbing alcohol. They come in looking for water usually, so even good housekeepers get them.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Katie E, Dove is right on the money. If you mix equal parts icing sugar and boric acid (mix it well) they will take it back home and it kills the little varmints. Works like a son of a gun.
Okay, I'll buy this solution. But sugar? That part seems strange.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
don't crush them/stomp them...rumor has it that they release a scent that attracts more every time on is killed.

Try a natural approach like vinegar and water or a little cayenne spray.

Might be worth a visit from the orkin man to go around your foundation and all other entry points that might go unnoticed.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good suggestion, Tatt, but this house is more than "open" to all manner of critters. It's old (1880) and even the drafts have drafts. The Orkin man would simply laugh. Until we are able to do extensive renovations, we'll have to satisfy ourselves with home remedies for the present situation.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
Master Chef

LOL....I had to deal with this each year at our old house......until Terminix could finally show up I'd blast the lil bugger with a squirt bottle of clorox....LOL.
Prior to getting Trinket I did used to buy some ant bait at Big R. It was in a small brown bottle and you placed the solution on one of the little cardboard circles that came with it. The ants would feed on it and take it back to the nest. It worked really well but I stopped using it after I got her for fear she'd eat it.
We lived in the country and were plagued with the tiny ants, carpenter ants and wasps and I took full advantage of Terminix........if I saw a bug I was on the phone. The one technician took his job so seriously that when it came to the carpenter ants I stood giggling at my kitchen window while I watched him on his hands and knees crawling around on my ground tracking the carpenter ants to their bungalow. Sure enough he found them and took care of the situation and I was relieved to finally be rid of the marching band that would come through the front hallway making its way to my kitchen .
Knock on wood no problems here at this house with any such pests.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
Master Chef

Well, would you believe that they do not like the scent of whole cloves? I have an area above my sink that they like to conduct their caravans from time to time---all I have to do is swab the area down with some vinegar water (which neutralizes the scent that they are leaving behind for the others to follow in a straight path) and then place whole cloves hither and thither across the front of my sink and they are change their travel plans--never have I had to use Raid or call in an exterminator---it really does work and I'm from Texas where ants are not afraid of anything!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
Head Chef

Terro is boric acid and corn syrup, and it really, really works. WalMart usually has it.