"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

What KIND of infection? Why do you even think it was the salad? The report is about a full blown E.coli outbreak which would NOT be cleared up two shots. How did your "infection" manifest itself.
I have used the bagged salads for a long time and for a lot of things. Never a problem.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
Master Chef

I completely agree with you Gretchen. I've been enjoying all the different brands/producers of the bagged salads for YEARS now, & I've never had any sort of problem. This is not to say that it doesn't happen, just that I don't believe it happens any more frequently than with other produce.

Does anyone remember the e. coli outbreak a few years ago involving sprouts (broccoli, alfalfa, etc.)? Everyone who had ever had sprouts on a sandwich was claiming they had come down with e. coli & no one should eat sprouts - it was ridiculous. Same thing with the e. coli outbreak that involved iceberg lettuce. Or how about the outbreak involving small fruits coming from Chile & other South American countries? How soon we forget that this is NOT a problem indigenous to "bagged salad". Eating bagged salad is no more dangerous than eating any other produce not plucked from your own backyard.

E. coli is quite easily determined by a stool culture & has very specific symptoms. As stated by Gretchen, it's definitley not cleared up by "two shots", & wouldn't necessarily resemble the sort of reaction you'd have from being exposed to golf course chemicals. I'm sure any reputable doctor could easily tell the difference between chemical exposure & the serious intestinal distress that accompanies e. coli.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I've always read to never use soaps to wash the veggies.

BC
Old 06-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Appreciate all the input here. You guys are the best. Have to admit, I never thought to rinse/wash packaged salads - or pre-washed spinach. Perhaps, I should get a salad spinner as well. Breezy, I hear you about the convenience, and like the garden blend - $2.99 for about 2 lbs, without spending a bunch of time chopping several ingreds. Dole was a brand I bought, and was surprised, but glad, to see the (voluntary) recall. Sandy, sometimes I get that baggy taste, but usually dump it after two days and keep the fridge very cold. I'm so careful about chicken/cutting boards etc, but never gave much thought to problems with lettuce. Good tips. Thanks.

Hmmm, I wonder if restaurants use pre-packaged.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Oh Mish I LOVE my Salad Spinner.

One of the things I use it for is when we're making tacos, instead of buying high-priced fresh tomatoes I buy a can of Hunt's diced tomatoes, stick them in my salad spinner and spin them almost dry. :D

It's great for washing or drying nearly anything! :D

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Oh Mish I LOVE my Salad Spinner.It's great for washing or drying nearly anything! :D

~ Raven ~
Even my pantyhose? Okay -- One SPINNER on my list. Thanks, Mr. Farkletush.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I think we had a thread on washing or not washing bagged salad greens a bit earlier. I always wash mine and always have. There is a bit of an odor that I don't care for and I feel much better, but I always wash my lettuce and everything else too. I don't use soap, but on veggies that seemed a bit grimy like squash, etc, I have put a small amount of white vinegar in the first water and scrubbed with a brush, using plain water for subsequent rinses. Also I put the greens not used for a meal in paper towels and then in a plastic bag. They last quite well and are always ready to eat.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

sandy j, i think bagged lettuces taste like the bag too! i always rinse mine to get rid of that flavor.

bethzaring, that's pretty much how i clean my greens from the garden (forest? how cool! ), except i rarley use any soap.

the "sink soak" would work as well for the bagged stuff too, i guess.

i sew whole packages of seeds (mesculun, arrugula, spinach) in 12 foot by 2 foot rows. i then begin harvesting by just pulling clumps of small plants every few inches, making room for what's left to continue to grow. i keep pulling every other plant until the supply is exhausted, or it bolts and becomes too bitter.

but, since i'm bringing in whole loose leaf heads, roots and all, there's a lot of dirt and bugs that come along for the ride. i strip down the leaves under running water and discard the stems and roots. then i wipe out the sink, rinsing away any dirt and bugs, then fill it with cold water. the lettuces soak for a bit, being swished around (yes, i said it, swished... ) every now and then. they're scooped out, the sink is drained, and the lettuces rinsed a final time before being torn in half to fit better in the salad spinner.

i wrap them in moist paper towels and they're stored in plastic bags in the fridge.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:38 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to nikkiev Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiev
I wash it all - bagged or stuff I have to prepare myself... I guess I just like the whirl of my salad spinner! ;>)
Old 07-01-2006, 06:32 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Whats the point in bagges salad if you hafto wash it might as well get a head of lettuce and go from there.Its fresher and cheaper to.