Danger! Bagged Salads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mish - thanks for this, but keep in mind that this is one of MANY reports on the "dangers" of bagged salads that have surfaced since they first started taking $$$ away from regular lettuce producers.

Yes, you can probably get an e.coli infection from eating unwashed bagged salad, just like you can from eating any other unwashed vegetable. Personally, I don't take it very seriously, & only would if I were feeding children, elderly folks, or folks outside of my household. In those cases, as I always do, I superwash greens, don't make anything requiring raw egg products, yadayadayada. That's just common sense.

As far as the news sensationalism - all the more power to them. When my husband comes home after a 2-hour commute & I come in after a full day mucking the barn, working with the horses, weeding & working in the garden, the fact that I can just empty a bag of salad into a bowl & toss it with dressing far far outweighs the chance that I might end up with the "trots" because of possible e.coli.

I'm usually not a nervous Nelly about things like this, but after reading the entire article, I may think twice - particularly the alarming rate of incidents in a short time -- 26 people in three states. If it saves a life, it's worth the post. I'm a bagged-salad buyer myself. :)

Mish - don't get me wrong - I agree with you.

But the fact remains that if one doesn't wash their greens they're just as likely, if not more likely, to contract e.coli from a head of iceberg, romaine, or head of leaf lettuce.

If I was really concerned, I could still dump a bag of salad mix into my salad dryer, wash & dry it. It would take maybe, what, 5-10 minutes more tops? So if folks are concerned, by all means do that.

But don't think that the heads of lettuce you're buying are any less contaminated by e-coli than the bagged lettuces. No go guys.

I wash all of it. There are too many things we can get sick by eating and I don't want to take more chances than absolutely necessary. I think we had a thread about this back a while.

The problem isn't with the bags, the truth is that bagged salads are processed alongside head lettuce.

It has a great deal to do with the amount of care the farmer uses to actually grow the lettuce. I saw a similar TV report where they went into a field to test for e-coli and found one field infested with it and the heads had not even been picked yet, while other fields tested clean.

The biggest difference is in the way the consumer treats bagged lettuce over head lettuce. Head lettuce is usually carefully washed, while bagged lettuce is usually just poured in a bowl and tossed.

We buy bagged lettuce and salad kits all the time, but I thouroughly wash ALL my raw veg no matter what the source.

~ Raven ~

At any given time there can be an outbreak of "something". They traced it, they recalled it, the problem will probably be addressed.

How I wash my greens

I kinda vote for washing all things from the garden and forest. I have no experience with store bought salad greens and do not know if this method is feasible for those products. I mainly grow spinach and kale and have washed my greens with this method for 25 years, learning it from the local cooperative extensive service.

Draw water into a sink and add one or two drops of liquid dish detergent, swish your hand around to generate suds. Add the greens, fill sink to cover greens. Turn greens over and over to remove dirt. Drain water, draw more water into sink to cover greens, turn greens over and over. Drain and do the rinse one more time. So the greens are washed once and rinsed twice. I then run the greens through my salad spinner to dry them, put in a plastic bag and refrigerate. Items that are not dirty, like freshly gathered raspberries, I do not use soap. The soap really works well on dirt, just like it does for laundry.

I just have returned from the doctor with some kind of infection!
She (the Dr.) gave me two shots, one last week when I walked in, and one a week later. She had asked me what I did different and I couldn't tell her anything other than playing my regular game of golf that last Monday...never heard these reports of Bagged Salad until now when one of my friends sent me an email about the situation!
I have to tell you I did not wash the bagged lettuce! I just didn't think about it because this is the first time I have purchased the product! I never, ever had bought bagged salad. I always prepare my own salad from the raw stuff I buy, wash and proceed. I just wasn't thinking! I figured it was ready to go.
I'm all better now and back to normal, with my regular golf game again on Monday.
The Dr. said maybe it was some chemical on the golf course because I told her they were spraying the grass to bring it back from the damage of the hurricanes, and so she assumed it was that. But it was the bagged salad indeed.

I've bought the bagged salad, but washed it anyway - here's my thing - this probably will sound crazy, but I feel like it tastes a little like the bag it came in! Not that I tasted the bag, mind you, but maybe the smell of the plastic and the taste of the lettuce were similar? I've don't really order salad much if I eat out in diners or chain restaurants (which is not often) since I feel like their salads have that "I've been in a plastic bag for 5 days" taste, too. My husband and girls think I'm nuts.

What KIND of infection? Why do you even think it was the salad? The report is about a full blown E.coli outbreak which would NOT be cleared up two shots. How did your "infection" manifest itself.
I have used the bagged salads for a long time and for a lot of things. Never a problem.

I completely agree with you Gretchen. I've been enjoying all the different brands/producers of the bagged salads for YEARS now, & I've never had any sort of problem. This is not to say that it doesn't happen, just that I don't believe it happens any more frequently than with other produce.

Does anyone remember the e. coli outbreak a few years ago involving sprouts (broccoli, alfalfa, etc.)? Everyone who had ever had sprouts on a sandwich was claiming they had come down with e. coli & no one should eat sprouts - it was ridiculous. Same thing with the e. coli outbreak that involved iceberg lettuce. Or how about the outbreak involving small fruits coming from Chile & other South American countries? How soon we forget that this is NOT a problem indigenous to "bagged salad". Eating bagged salad is no more dangerous than eating any other produce not plucked from your own backyard.

E. coli is quite easily determined by a stool culture & has very specific symptoms. As stated by Gretchen, it's definitley not cleared up by "two shots", & wouldn't necessarily resemble the sort of reaction you'd have from being exposed to golf course chemicals. I'm sure any reputable doctor could easily tell the difference between chemical exposure & the serious intestinal distress that accompanies e. coli.

Appreciate all the input here. You guys are the best. :) Have to admit, I never thought to rinse/wash packaged salads - or pre-washed spinach. Perhaps, I should get a salad spinner as well. Breezy, I hear you about the convenience, and like the garden blend - $2.99 for about 2 lbs, without spending a bunch of time chopping several ingreds. Dole was a brand I bought, and was surprised, but glad, to see the (voluntary) recall. Sandy, sometimes I get that baggy taste, but usually dump it after two days and keep the fridge very cold. I'm so careful about chicken/cutting boards etc, but never gave much thought to problems with lettuce. Good tips. Thanks.

Hmmm, I wonder if restaurants use pre-packaged.

Last edited:
Oh Mish I LOVE my Salad Spinner.

One of the things I use it for is when we're making tacos, instead of buying high-priced fresh tomatoes I buy a can of Hunt's diced tomatoes, stick them in my salad spinner and spin them almost dry. :D

It's great for washing or drying nearly anything! :D

~ Raven ~

Raven said:
Oh Mish I LOVE my Salad Spinner.It's great for washing or drying nearly anything! :D

~ Raven ~

Even my pantyhose?:LOL: Okay -- One SPINNER on my list. Thanks, Mr. Farkletush.

I think we had a thread on washing or not washing bagged salad greens a bit earlier. I always wash mine and always have. There is a bit of an odor that I don't care for and I feel much better, but I always wash my lettuce and everything else too. I don't use soap, but on veggies that seemed a bit grimy like squash, etc, I have put a small amount of white vinegar in the first water and scrubbed with a brush, using plain water for subsequent rinses. Also I put the greens not used for a meal in paper towels and then in a plastic bag. They last quite well and are always ready to eat.

sandy j, i think bagged lettuces taste like the bag too! i always rinse mine to get rid of that flavor.

bethzaring, that's pretty much how i clean my greens from the garden (forest? how cool!:) ), except i rarley use any soap.

the "sink soak" would work as well for the bagged stuff too, i guess.

i sew whole packages of seeds (mesculun, arrugula, spinach) in 12 foot by 2 foot rows. i then begin harvesting by just pulling clumps of small plants every few inches, making room for what's left to continue to grow. i keep pulling every other plant until the supply is exhausted, or it bolts and becomes too bitter.

but, since i'm bringing in whole loose leaf heads, roots and all, there's a lot of dirt and bugs that come along for the ride. i strip down the leaves under running water and discard the stems and roots. then i wipe out the sink, rinsing away any dirt and bugs, then fill it with cold water. the lettuces soak for a bit, being swished around (yes, i said it, swished...:cool: ) every now and then. they're scooped out, the sink is drained, and the lettuces rinsed a final time before being torn in half to fit better in the salad spinner.

i wrap them in moist paper towels and they're stored in plastic bags in the fridge.

I wash it all - bagged or stuff I have to prepare myself... I guess I just like the whirl of my salad spinner! ;>)

:) Whats the point in bagges salad if you hafto wash it might as well get a head of lettuce and go from there.Its fresher and cheaper to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom