Day 24 of Our 2-Week Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Yeah, we have been gone longer than we had expected!

Anyway, we are in Somerset, Pennsylvania until tomorrow afternoon. This was a day of highs and lows.

We went to a couple yard sales today. James found some things to sell, and I found some things I wanted for myself (an Encyclopedia of Italian Cooking, a couple books, a glass swan platter), and a cute little leather purse for our granddaughter. I asked the woman doing one of them if there was anywhere good to eat in her little town (Jennerstown, PA). She told us to try Lamonica's. They were fantastic! My prime rib (topped with sauteed mushrooms) was so flavorful and tender. James tried their T-bone special (also topped with mushrooms). We started with stuffed mushrooms, which were so good, as was the bread. For my two sides I chose a salad, with bleu cheese dressing, and a baked potato with sour cream. James chose a baked potato with sour cream, and spaghetti. lol Even though we probably shouldn't have, we had dessert. I had some of the best carrot cake I have ever had, and James had chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. We got some coconut cream pie and Hawaiian Wedding Cake to take with us for later. Our server was great! We had a good time talking with her. We told her about DC, so hopefully she will join us!

When we finished dinner we went to the Flight 93 Memorial site. Unfortunately it was getting dark and we couldn't see much. I hope to go back tomorrow on our way out. There are wooden benches with the names of each person who died on them (one name per slat on the back of each bench--not on the very back, but facing forward). There is a large chain link fence section where people can add whatever memorials they wish to leave. Even though we couldn't see much, it was very touching. I really hope we get back there tomorrow.

:neutral:Barbara

Last edited:
Yeah, we have been gone longer than we had expected!

Anyway, we are in Somerset, Pennsylvania until tomorrow afternoon. This was a day of highs and lows.

We went to a couple yard sales today. James found some things to sell, and I found some things I wanted for myself (an Encyclopedia of Italian Cooking, a couple books, a glass swan platter), and a cute little leather purse for our granddaughter. I asked the woman doing one of them if there was anywhere good to eat in her little town (Jennerstown, PA). She told us to try Lamonica's. They were fantastic! My prime rib (topped with sauteed mushrooms) was so flavorful and tender. James tried their T-bone special (also topped with mushrooms). We started with stuffed mushrooms, which were so good, as was the bread. For my two sides I chose a salad, with bleu cheese dressing, and a baked potato with sour cream. James chose a baked potato with sour cream, and spaghetti. lol Even though we probably shouldn't have, we had dessert. I had some of the best carrot cake I have ever had, and James had chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. We got some coconut cream pie and Hawaiian Wedding Cake to take with us for later. Our server was great! We had a good time talking with her. We told her about DC, so hopefully she will join us!

When we finished dinner we went to the Flight 93 Memorial site. Unfortunately it was getting dark and we couldn't see much. I hope to go back tomorrow on our way out. There are wooden benches with the names of each person who died on them (one name per slat on the back of each bench--not on the very back, but facing forward). There is a large chain link fence section where people can add whatever memorials they wish to leave. Even though we couldn't see much, it was very touching. I really hope we get back there tomorrow.

:neutral:Barbara

Things like that are always touching Barb...

I'm glad your dinner was great! Sounds like you are just having too much fun to stop!!! Encyclopedia of Italian Cooking????????...what a find!

Last edited:
We purposely left room in the car for yard sales, as there are some really good ones in the midwest and some of the other states. It is hard to find good yard sales where we live (although we have found some). We went to one in Schaumburg, Illinois that was kind of neat. We found quite a few small things that we liked. We had a bag full of stuff. We were having a good time talking with the people doing it. Then she told us that a guy had come in a van earlier. They jokingly said, "Why don't you back your van up here and buy all the big-ticket items?" He did! Computers and a lot of other big things. They did so well from what he bought that they were able to sell the smaller things for very little. We got that bag of stuff for $3.00. :cool:

:)Barbara

I've always wanted to do the 127 yard sale. You know the 654 mile yard sale from West Unity, Ohio to Gadsden, Alabama. Haven't had the opportunity to yet. Maybe next year.

Hey Barb,
2-weeks has 14 days and you're on day 24?:ermm: How's that possible? LOL JK dear...enjoy every minute of it. You both truly deserve it!

Hey Barb,
2-weeks has 14 days and you're on day 24?:ermm: How's that possible? LOL JK dear...enjoy every minute of it. You both truly deserve it!

Glad someone else picked up on this.I didn't want to say anything first. LOL! Too many exhaust fumes???
(I know, I know you said the trip is lasting longer than expected.)

I've always wanted to do the 127 yard sale. You know the 654 mile yard sale from West Unity, Ohio to Gadsden, Alabama. Haven't had the opportunity to yet. Maybe next year.
I hadn't heard of that (well, I think I heard hints of it when we were in Ohio). Wow, that would be great! When do they have it?

Hey Barb,

Glad someone else picked up on this.I didn't want to say anything first. LOL! Too many exhaust fumes???
(I know, I know you said the trip is lasting longer than expected.)
Yeah, we had originally (at least that's what I thought) planned on about two weeks. We have been having a ball though, and we love to travel, so it has been great! We will head over to NYC now, then probably south.

Glad you're enjoying your vacation, Barbara. My fuzzy math didn't quite add up but glad you're having some major fun meeting people along the way.
If I extended my vacation like your's, I'd have to fire myself from my job.....:-p

LOL I thought we were going to be gone two weeks. I'm as surprised as you are at how long it has lasted (and it's still not over). But I have to say I am so glad it has, and we are having the best time in the world!

We can't lose our jobs because we are both out of work! :LOL: James will start his new job when we get home, and I will be listing all the stuff we have been buying on eBay. We're being very lazy right now, but we will be very busy when we get home!

Back
Top Bottom