Daylight saving time (light-hearted humor)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
So my husband and I have noticed upon wakening at 6 am that it's dark. The whole point of the clocks changing earlier (in the U.S.) was to save energy. We have found that we have to turn on the lights when we wake up, as opposed to turning the lights on at 5 or 6 pm. Where is the energy savings? :LOL: We would rather turn the lights on in the pm rather than the am hours.

Again, this is not a debate, just light hearted humor everyone :)

Even Ellen D mentioned this on her show today. She said how can someone just change the clock like that? Then said, ok, it 6pm on Friday everyone :)

Last edited:
I don't mind the dark when I wake up (though yes, I do miss it), but I'd MUCH rather have longer daylight hours - I LOVE IT! :)

I was getting comfy with daylight in the morning. Dark in the morning sets me back to winter, ughhhh. Winter is too long here!

I guess the logic is that more people are awake and need light at 6:00 PM than at 6:00 AM.

Perhaps, but most people get up early to get to work, and coffee can fend off the tired and weary ones.

Okay, come on y'all. This is just an excuse for us to cozy down into our comfy blankies and sleep longer in the morning. Hey, I've been doin' it since Sunday morning and haven't felt better. Omigawd, those flannel sheets feel better than ever.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Your right Katie, I want to sleep in longer since it's darker here. I'd rather just get up and out with the daylight. Ok, raising hand to "morning person here" :LOL:

I was SO enjoying the fact that I could get up, pour a cup a soffee and the sun would be there! Now...I get up, drag my butt, pour my coffee, look out the window to make sure no one thru black paint on it, then about the time I take the kids to school there is light again....wha tthe heck!

No matter if you changed it it would still be the same amount of hours no? Let's change it earlier so these bafoons go back to lala land......blah!!!

I love waking up in darkness. That doesn't mean I like to wake up early, I just like it when it's dark until the alarm clock goes off at 6:30 am. Otherwise the sun (I'm very sensitive to light, even the little bit that sneaks in around the blinds in my S/W facing bedroom) wakes me up BEFORE MY ALARM CLOCK DOES, and holy moly do I HATE that!

Even though I have the auto-adjust and DST turned off, my DVD recorder refuses to recognize the new time. It keeps setting it's-self despite the fact that it's been told specifically not to. So now it still think's it's 5:00 am when everything else say's 6:00am, so I had to change the SCHEDULE to get the correct shows.

Grrrrr!!!!

~ Raven ~

I don't mind the dark when I wake up (though yes, I do miss it), but I'd MUCH rather have longer daylight hours - I LOVE IT! :)

Amen! I love daylight saving time, because I have more time to spend doing things outside (mostly drinking beer) in the evening.

CD

Last edited:
Your right Katie, I want to sleep in longer since it's darker here. I'd rather just get up and out with the daylight. Ok, raising hand to "morning person here" :LOL:

I used to be a morning person, but I outgrew it. :mrgreen:

CD

However you view it, I saw (and have) a cartoon of Richard Nixon explaining Daylight Saving Time. It shows him holding a blanket that has had approximately one third of one end cut off and sewed onto the other end.

His comment, "This is Daylight Saving Time" or some such thing. I always think of that cartoon when we're reminded to change our clocks...forward or backward.

Doesn't really matter to me. For years and years, I've changed our clocks about mid-day on Saturday. We never feel anything negative from the change. If you think TV, most of what we watch has already been recorded or we watch a disk we have on hand from Netflix. By morning, we never even know anything has happened.

As a friend mentioned, after six months the clocks in his cars will have the right time again. I'll have to dig out my car's manual. I have the page bookmarked. DH is on his own with his Jeep.

My (broken banded, unwearable) watch needs fiddling. I did spring it forward after pushing numerous combinations of buttons. Don't ask me how I did that.

As Katie mentioned, there's an old Indian saying: only the government can cut off the top of the blanket, sew it on the bottom, and expect it to be longer.

Before I retired, I noticed daylight savings time really effected the kids and teachers. Everyone stumbled around for at least a week afterward. Probably a good thing that it's spring break now here along the river.

Last edited:
My computers and my watch take care of the time change automatically. My watch is a Casio G-Shock Tough Solar Atomic, meaning that it receives a radio signal every night from the atomic clock in Ft. Collins CO and sets itself to that. It's never even as much as a 1/2 second off. Since it also has a battery that is kept charged by solar/light and is waterproof to 200 meters deep, it is maintenance free - 100% hands off. I almost never take it off, even at night.

I'm a fan of DST. I prefer having the extra hour of daylight in the evening. I don't understand how they function in a place like Indiana where they let the counties decide to do it or not - the time can change when you go from one county to another. I know that Arizona doesn't do DST - I still don't understand why, but at least it's the whole state.

Back
Top Bottom