Daylight saving time (light-hearted humor)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My computers and my watch take care of the time change automatically. My watch is a Casio G-Shock Tough Solar Atomic, meaning that it receives a radio signal every night from the atomic clock in Ft. Collins CO and sets itself to that. It's never even as much as a 1/2 second off. Since it also has a battery that is kept charged by solar/light and is waterproof to 200 meters deep, it is maintenance free - 100% hands off. I almost never take it off, even at night.

I'm a fan of DST. I prefer having the extra hour of daylight in the evening. I don't understand how they function in a place like Indiana where they let the counties decide to do it or not - the time can change when you go from one county to another. I know that Arizona doesn't do DST - I still don't understand why, but at least it's the whole state.

I'm a fan as well. The extra daylight is a pleasure. How many times have you heard people complain about the fact that it's dark at 4:00PM in the winter.

I have a watch, a Seiko all stainless steel case and band, that has three 'hands' that travel around a dial populated with markers that indicate the 12 hours in a clock cycle. These are highly specialized 'hands'. One indicates the hour, one the minute and the last indicates the second. It too is set to the atomic clock in CO. I know this because I do the setting. Just pull out this little stem on the side and turn it to move the 'hands'. I paid $65.00 for it 35 years ago and never loses more than 10 seconds in 6 months.

Hm. I'll have to look into the Casio or Seiko watch. I keep getting cheapo waterproof watches, and keep breaking the bands.

I have a plastic Casio digital watch I take to Aruba every year. It's waterproof. It cost $25. and when it dies I get another.

Can you imagine living in China, roughly the same size as the US, with a single time zone across the entire country?
Sunrise at 3am and sunset at 3pm depending on where you are.... But I'm sure these regions observe unofficial, local, civil time zones.

Last edited:
I like the later daylight as well, and usually get a surge of energy around DST. Like today. :clap::LOL:

I just feel kind of bad for the littles in school, I wish the time change was more in coordination with spring break so they'd have a little time to get used to it. I know that's impossible though, since school breaks differ from district to district. My young grandsons are going to have a hard time in the mornings this week, but they'll adjust. :)

Last edited:
When I was a kid, the rule my parents had during the summer months was that I could stay outside and play until it got dark. Believe me, I've always been very appreciative of that extra hour.

Same here, Steve. My brother and I had to come home when the streetlights came on. When we moved out to the boonies where there were no streetlights, we had to come home when the sun set behind the Sierras.

Those were the days. :)

I'm a fan as well. The extra daylight is a pleasure. How many times have you heard people complain about the fact that it's dark at 4:00PM in the winter.

I have a watch, a Seiko all stainless steel case and band, that has three 'hands' that travel around a dial populated with markers that indicate the 12 hours in a clock cycle. These are highly specialized 'hands'. One indicates the hour, one the minute and the last indicates the second. It too is set to the atomic clock in CO. I know this because I do the setting. Just pull out this little stem on the side and turn it to move the 'hands'. I paid $65.00 for it 35 years ago and never loses more than 10 seconds in 6 months.

I have a TAG Heuer watch. I only wear it now for dress-up. I can't read it unless I put on reading glasses, so there is no point wearing it daily. I can still read the time on my iPhone, and if it comes to it, I can ask Siri what time it is.

CD

I went ahead and ordered a stainless steel Casio that does everything but wash your windows. It's a men's so I'll have to figure out how to remove some links, but the waterproof feature really interests me.

Will tackle the car clock tomorrow.

So my husband and I have noticed upon wakening at 6 am that it's dark. The whole point of the clocks changing earlier (in the U.S.) was to save energy. We have found that we have to turn on the lights when we wake up, as opposed to turning the lights on at 5 or 6 pm. Where is the energy savings? :LOL: We would rather turn the lights on in the pm rather than the am hours.

Again, this is not a debate, just light hearted humor everyone :)

Even Ellen D mentioned this on her show today. She said how can someone just change the clock like that? Then said, ok, it 6pm on Friday everyone :)

;) That wouldn't be a problem for you if you would only move to Eastpoint! Right on the edge of the land.

I guess the logic is that more people are awake and need light at 6:00 PM than at 6:00 AM.

The whole purpose of daylight savings came about in WWI. It gave the farmers more daylight at the end of the day to tend to their crops.

I once had a job that I had to be at work at seven in the morning. Didn't leave until five in the evening. It sucked bigtime in the winter. Left the house in darkness and came home in it also. Never saw daylight until late Spring. No window in my office. I always looked forward to DST.

I went ahead and ordered a stainless steel Casio that does everything but wash your windows. It's a men's so I'll have to figure out how to remove some links, but the waterproof feature really interests me.

Will tackle the car clock tomorrow.

This is the one I have: Stainless Casio G-Shock I had to remove 2 links for it to fit me. That was interesting without the proper tools. I did figure it out, but I'd probably be inclined to take it to a jeweler if I had to do it again.

Last edited:
So my husband and I have noticed upon wakening at 6 am that it's dark. The whole point of the clocks changing earlier (in the U.S.) was to save energy. We have found that we have to turn on the lights when we wake up, as opposed to turning the lights on at 5 or 6 pm. Where is the energy savings? :LOL: We would rather turn the lights on in the pm rather than the am hours.

Again, this is not a debate, just light hearted humor everyone :)

Even Ellen D mentioned this on her show today. She said how can someone just change the clock like that? Then said, ok, it 6pm on Friday everyone :)
In the winter when we're on Greenwich Mean Time here and the mornings are dark and cold I stay in bed until it gets light. In the depths of winter I often stay there until 8.30 or even later listening to the news programme on the wireless (ok, the radio).

This is the one I have: Stainless Casio G-Shock I had to remove 2 links for it to fit me. That was interesting without the proper tools. I did figure it out, but I'd probably be inclined to take it to a jeweler if I had to do it again.

That's the same one I ordered! I'm especially excited about it being waterproof, as well as automatically resetting. Yeah, I'll monkey around with it, then probably bring it to a jeweler if I can't figure it out. Apparently there's some how-to videos on YouTube. I don't know if we even have any jewelers around here anymore.

Last edited:
I could go both ways on DST. I would far prefer that it get dark at about 6pm in summer so I could do my astronomy (summer being the only time it's warm enough to take a telescope out), but at the same time, I like it being dark until 10am because I'm a night person and it would be nice to sleep while it's dark outside once in a while, too.

Last year and for the couple of years before that, I used to change my own clocks. Starting in October, I'd be moving them forward until December when I was 3 hours ahead of everyone. In January, I started moving them back, so when the time change came in March, I was already there. Mainly I was trying to keep to am 8pm sunset and that really helped me.

It worked, since I rarely go anywhere and when I did, I never found it to be a problem in being late or early. I just forgot to do it this year - I don't know why. Too many doctor appointments, I think.

Last edited:
Have you all noticed that fewer people are wearing watches these days? I rarely see a younger person with a watch unless they're dressing up and it's a piece of jewelry. I guess the smart phone satisfies that need.

Have you all noticed that fewer people are wearing watches these days? I rarely see a younger person with a watch unless they're dressing up and it's a piece of jewelry. I guess the smart phone satisfies that need.

That's because they have the time right on their cell phones.

Back
Top Bottom