DC Cigar lovers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
I'll admit it-I jumped on the bandwagon when cigars became "stylish" in the 90's, but over the years, its grown into a passion. I maintain a couple of humidors, dilegently, and actually have cigars that are 7 and 8 yrs old that are perfect and ready to smoke!

They are mostly a "special occasion" thing, I always break them out at family gatherings, holidays and so forth.

I've come to love the Ashtons-they are far and away my favorites. A bit pricey, but worth it IMO.

So what about you guys-what do you like? I'm always on the lookout for something new-and cheap doesn't hurt either!!

I don't smoke. I use to, but I quit again a year and a half ago. I use to work for a major grocery store chain and was supervisor of the dept. that stocked the tobacco products. My favorite day was cigar delivery day. Ahh what a wonderful aroma when I opened the cases of cigars. I don't know much about them, but the smell of the cherry and whiskey cavendish cigars were amazing.

I have never smoked, however my dad used to smoke gigars and cigarillos occasionally - I agree, they can smell wonderfully - certainly beat the smell of cigarettes.

I used to smoke cigarettes and loved that (but have quit). I occasionally smoked a pipe and loved that too, but have not done that in many years. I would smoke a cigar every once in a while, but I never enjoyed it. I always thought I would when I started, but always hated it once I started puffing. On our honeymoon in Jamaica I got a Cuban cigar thinking that would change my mind, but all that did was solidify that I really do not like cigars. One the one hand I am glad because smoking anything is not healthy, but on the other hand, I really wanted to like cigars. I like the though of sitting around relaxing with one every once in a while. I even had a friend who had a cigar bar in Boston during the cigar bar craze, but I never even made it in to take advantage of it as I had learned it is just not my thing.

my first experience with cigars was at my sister's wedding. it was a big ceremony, with all of the pomp that a west point wedding could muster. i was only a kid at the time, in my late teens, impressed by the big show. all of the officers and my bil's new hoo-rah farm boy family (he was from hudson city, iowa) felt it was time to induct their new little bil. so at the reception, all of the good ol' boys pumped me full of wild turkey and stuck a cheap stogie in my mouth.
the next thing that i remember was being dragged away from a toilet stall and being tossed into the back of the limo.

i thought i'd never smoke a cigar again.

but years later, on a decadent trip to bermuda, i was offered a big snifter of gran marnier cent cinquatenairre, and a fine, small ring pre-castro cuban cigar. it was another world all together. it was like tasting something silky, smokey, and smooth. i then knew what the fuss was all about. so bought a box of cuban monte cristos and smuggled it home.

i became a big fan of snifters and cigars for a while, especially after a good albeit overpried meal. but the way i looked at it, why not have the icing if you're gonna bother to eat the cake?

so, i kept a humidor for a few years, enjoying my cigars on vacations and special occasions.

aa few years passed, and at my friend's wedding, of which i was the best man, i got swept up in the revelry and gave out my remaining cubans (monte cristos, cohibas, and romeo y julietas). that was a big mistake. except for my buddy's dad who enjoyed his smoke thoroughly, the rest of the ushers just chewed up and burnt the smokes, mostly using them as props for pictures, not understanding the semi-religious experience that was at hand. the cigars, i mean, not the wedding... :cool:

since then, i've gotten a few good cigars here and there, and tried to keep up the humidor, but unless you smoke with some regularity it's a losing cause. once dried out, it's not the same, no matter how good the leaf and wrapper.

when given the chance though, from some other thoughtful soul offering a well kept stogie, i'll sit back and send my soul to heaven in the wafting smoke.

I am a fan of cigars. Mainly Honduran smokes. Hoyo de Monterrey, Punch, Sancho Panza, etc. But I do like the Nicaraguan and Dominican smokes too.
I gotta a couple of desktop humidors and a turn of the century dowry trunk that belonged to my mother's uncle. Lined with Spanish cedar it makes a very nice home for a LOT of cigars. I call it the Trunkidor.
At my current rate of consumption, I reckon I got an 8 - 10 year supply.

I love the smell of the sweet cigars and pipes. I loved being around my great uncle. We always knew when he entered, lol. We buried him with his beloved pipe too.

I smoke only a few cigars a year, and keep around a hundred, about a 3 year supply. Typically, I purchase only when on sale, and prefer the aged ones. My favorites are top end Gurkhas, and Monte Cristo. I generally buy from Cigar International.

I smoked my last in 2000. I don't miss it, but I have fond memories. I know that just one cigar would have me smoking full time again, so I refrain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom