"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I think it's safe to say that none of us are getting out of this life alive. We can only strive to treat each other well, and with dignity. If we do that, no matter skin color, or differences of where we live, or how much money we have, etc., then we are moving our race in the right directions.

That being said, coroners need to be sensitive to the family members grief, and the love they had for the departed person, especially if those members are young.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
For the most part, coroners are sensitive. They don't allow any family member see what they do to the body in order to determine time of death. Anytime there is a death in the home, there will always be suspicion as to the cause.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I didn't get the impression that the coroner was being insensitive when he asked me about when I found my father. It was just something he had to ask. It's probably unusual to have to ask a young child.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I didn't get the impression that the coroner was being insensitive when he asked me about when I found my father. It was just something he had to ask. It's probably unusual to have to ask a young child.
Absolutely. They are not insensitive when they ask. It is their job. And most of the time, unless like in your case, they try to shield children.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
Master Chef

Addie, it sounds like your real complaint should go to the management of the building. I have a dear friend who has an apartment such as yours. When her husband died, she no longer qualified for the larger apartment but she was allowed to stay there until a smaller one became available in the same building. We thought that was compassionate of the management as they could have sent her to another facility away from her friends. Then again, she's always looked at life with the glass being half full, rather than half empty.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Addie, it sounds like your real complaint should go to the management of the building. I have a dear friend who has an apartment such as yours. When her husband died, she no longer qualified for the larger apartment but she was allowed to stay there until a smaller one became available in the same building. We thought that was compassionate of the management as they could have sent her to another facility away from her friends. Then again, she's always looked at life with the glass being half full, rather than half empty.
My complaint is "the management" of this building. Fortunately we don't have the policy of a smaller apartment when a spouse dies. Only if a handicap apartment is needed. If one becomes empty, the resident in need of the handicap apt. has the option of moving into it or not. But they don't get a second chance if they pass on it and one becomes available again. And the only time you are evicted is if you threaten or harm another resident. Then you are given the option of moving to the Lyman School or finding housing in the private sector.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
All deaths are supposed to reported to the police unless it happens in a hospital or other medical facility.
Actually, I think that a death in the hospital should also require a coroner.

From 2013:
"Medical errors leading to patient death are much higher than previously thought, and may be as high as 400,000 deaths a year, according to a new study in the Journal of Patient Safety."

"The latest numbers are dramatically higher than those in the Institute of Medicine's 1999 report, To Err is Human: Building A Safer Health System, which estimated that up to 98,000 people a year die because of hospital mistakes. The data for that report is based on medical record reviews from 1984 and doesn't take into account studies published since 2008."

Hospital medical errors now the third leading cause of death in the U.S. - FierceHealthcare

These are preventable mistakes, not the worsening of a patients health.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Actually, I think that a death in the hospital should also require a coroner.

From 2013:
"Medical errors leading to patient death are much higher than previously thought, and may be as high as 400,000 deaths a year, according to a new study in the Journal of Patient Safety."

"The latest numbers are dramatically higher than those in the Institute of Medicine's 1999 report, To Err is Human: Building A Safer Health System, which estimated that up to 98,000 people a year die because of hospital mistakes. The data for that report is based on medical record reviews from 1984 and doesn't take into account studies published since 2008."

Hospital medical errors now the third leading cause of death in the U.S. - FierceHealthcare

These are preventable mistakes, not the worsening of a patients health.
Some do. If a patient consents to an autopsy by the hospital, and they find suspicious causes of death, they (the hospital) are required in this state to report it to the authorities. If the attending doctor suspects suspicious causes of death and the family refuses an autopsy, they must report it also.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Some do. If a patient consents to an autopsy by the hospital, and they find suspicious causes of death, they (the hospital) are required in this state to report it to the authorities. If the attending doctor suspects suspicious causes of death and the family refuses an autopsy, they must report it also.
I'm sure that if the patient has expressed written instructions to do so, then an autopsy will be performed. I wonder if an autopsy would be performed if requested a close family member after a patients death and no written instructions by patient.

But my highlighted sentence [Actually, I think that a death in the hospital should also require a coroner.] was specious and was really meant to show how many preventable deaths occur in the hospital. Iatrogenic ones.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #19
Executive Chef

A coworkers young husband died and the family requested an autopsy because he had no illness that they knew of. It turned out he had a congenital heart problem that was not showing symptoms since he was only 30 years old. Said he didn't feel good, went to lie down, and didn't wake up. He DID have back pain, which most people don't recognize as a sign of a heart attack.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
A coworkers young husband died and the family requested an autopsy because he had no illness that they knew of. It turned out he had a congenital heart problem that was not showing symptoms since he was only 30 years old. Said he didn't feel good, went to lie down, and didn't wake up. He DID have back pain, which most people don't recognize as a sign of a heart attack.
That's tragic about your friends husband. Heart attacks present in many ways, not just the classic 'grab your chest' type. Although too late for him this blog talks about the different ways heart disease can present. (Although aimed at women, it's good for all.)

Heart Sisters

But I'm guessing that he wasn't in the hospital at the time of his death?