DC Discussion of Coroners, Etc...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Let me know if an apartment becomes vacant. I LOVE '30s and '40s B&W movies. Anything with Bette Davies has me hooked.

We had two folks expire last week, and their apartments already have a new resident. We have a very long waiting list and it takes less than a week to empty and clean the apartment.

Our lease says that the family has 30 days in which to clean out the apartment. But management frowns on that. So they put pressure on the family to get the job done faster. I told my kids about it, and they promised me it would take them at least 29 days. Bless their hearts! :angel:

We had two folks expire last week, and their apartments already have a new resident. We have a very long waiting list and it takes less than a week to empty and clean the apartment.

Our lease says that the family has 30 days in which to clean out the apartment. But management frowns on that. So they put pressure on the family to get the job done faster. I told my kids about it, and they promised me it would take them at least 29 days. Bless their hearts! :angel:
Goo9d for you ad your kids.

Goo9d for you ad your kids.

If my kids really wanted to be difficult, all they would have to do is take my will to Probate Court. The apartment can't be touched until the court gives permission. I have some antiques that are valuable. Reason enough to go through probate. That could take a few months or more. :angel:

If my kids really wanted to be difficult, all they would have to do is take my will to Probate Court. The apartment can't be touched until the court gives permission. I have some antiques that are valuable. Reason enough to go through probate. That could take a few months or more. :angel:

Just a thought; If the apartment you live in was made available to someone whose life would be made better by the fast turn-around, isn't that a good thing? Of course there must be reasonable time to remove belongings from the space. And yes, I know, the building owners are just trying to preserve income from that apartment. But if it helps someone who needs a place to live...

When I go out of mortality, my survivors, first my wife, then my kids will get everything I have. But to me, the most important thing for them to have is the memory of a loving husband and father, who genuinely cares for them, and for anyone that I can help.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Just a thought; If the apartment you live in was made available to someone whose life would be made better by the fast turn-around, isn't that a good thing? Of course there must be reasonable time to remove belongings from the space. And yes, I know, the building owners are just trying to preserve income from that apartment...

The owners of Addie's building are the taxpayers.

When I go out of mortality, my survivors, first my wife, then my kids will get everything I have. But to me, the most important thing for them to have is the memory of a loving husband and father, who genuinely cares for them, and for anyone that I can help.

You're a good and thoughtful man, Chief. Your family is lucky to have you in their lives.

Just a thought; If the apartment you live in was made available to someone whose life would be made better by the fast turn-around, isn't that a good thing? Of course there must be reasonable time to remove belongings from the space. And yes, I know, the building owners are just trying to preserve income from that apartment. But if it helps someone who needs a place to live...

Certainly. But when I say they are putting pressure on the family, sometimes they are calling even before the funeral. They want them to come immediately to start cleaning out the apartment. Absolutely no compassion for the family.

We had one resident die while her niece was in the apartment with her taking care of her. Did the niece give her something to hurry her death? The police and coroner were called. All deaths are supposed to reported to the police unless it happens in a hospital or other medical facility. (We have crazy laws.) The coroner would not be performing the autopsy until the following Monday. In the meantime the police had yellow tape across the door. The manager was absolutely beside herself. The woman died of natural causes. Old age. Total lack of compassion and common sense on the part of management. :angel:

Certainly. But when I say they are putting pressure on the family, sometimes they are calling even before the funeral. They want them to come immediately to start cleaning out the apartment. Absolutely no compassion for the family.

We had one resident die while her niece was in the apartment with her taking care of her. Did the niece give her something to hurry her death? The police and coroner were called. All deaths are supposed to reported to the police unless it happens in a hospital or other medical facility. (We have crazy laws.) The coroner would not be performing the autopsy until the following Monday. In the meantime the police had yellow tape across the door. The manager was absolutely beside herself. The woman died of natural causes. Old age. Total lack of compassion and common sense on the part of management. :angel:

I understand. The family should be allowed to grieve, and the departed person should be shown dignity. That manager needs a good kick in the backside, or a visit from those ghosts who visited Scrooge. If only such things were possible.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When my father passed away, I was 11 years old. It just so happened that I was the one who walked into the room and found him dead, so I was the one who was questioned by the coroner as to whether someone did something to cause his death. I remember that clearly.

To stay on topic, I will add that they must have thought that someone fed him poison cup cakes.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that none of us are getting out of this life alive. We can only strive to treat each other well, and with dignity. If we do that, no matter skin color, or differences of where we live, or how much money we have, etc., then we are moving our race in the right directions.

That being said, coroners need to be sensitive to the family members grief, and the love they had for the departed person, especially if those members are young.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I think it's safe to say that none of us are getting out of this life alive. We can only strive to treat each other well, and with dignity. If we do that, no matter skin color, or differences of where we live, or how much money we have, etc., then we are moving our race in the right directions.

That being said, coroners need to be sensitive to the family members grief, and the love they had for the departed person, especially if those members are young.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

For the most part, coroners are sensitive. They don't allow any family member see what they do to the body in order to determine time of death. Anytime there is a death in the home, there will always be suspicion as to the cause. :angel:

I didn't get the impression that the coroner was being insensitive when he asked me about when I found my father. It was just something he had to ask. It's probably unusual to have to ask a young child.

I didn't get the impression that the coroner was being insensitive when he asked me about when I found my father. It was just something he had to ask. It's probably unusual to have to ask a young child.

Absolutely. They are not insensitive when they ask. It is their job. And most of the time, unless like in your case, they try to shield children. :angel:

Addie, it sounds like your real complaint should go to the management of the building. I have a dear friend who has an apartment such as yours. When her husband died, she no longer qualified for the larger apartment but she was allowed to stay there until a smaller one became available in the same building. We thought that was compassionate of the management as they could have sent her to another facility away from her friends. Then again, she's always looked at life with the glass being half full, rather than half empty.

Addie, it sounds like your real complaint should go to the management of the building. I have a dear friend who has an apartment such as yours. When her husband died, she no longer qualified for the larger apartment but she was allowed to stay there until a smaller one became available in the same building. We thought that was compassionate of the management as they could have sent her to another facility away from her friends. Then again, she's always looked at life with the glass being half full, rather than half empty.

My complaint is "the management" of this building. Fortunately we don't have the policy of a smaller apartment when a spouse dies. Only if a handicap apartment is needed. If one becomes empty, the resident in need of the handicap apt. has the option of moving into it or not. But they don't get a second chance if they pass on it and one becomes available again. And the only time you are evicted is if you threaten or harm another resident. Then you are given the option of moving to the Lyman School or finding housing in the private sector. :angel:

All deaths are supposed to reported to the police unless it happens in a hospital or other medical facility.

Actually, I think that a death in the hospital should also require a coroner. :unhappy:

From 2013:
"Medical errors leading to patient death are much higher than previously thought, and may be as high as 400,000 deaths a year, according to a new study in the Journal of Patient Safety."

"The latest numbers are dramatically higher than those in the Institute of Medicine's 1999 report, To Err is Human: Building A Safer Health System, which estimated that up to 98,000 people a year die because of hospital mistakes. The data for that report is based on medical record reviews from 1984 and doesn't take into account studies published since 2008."

Hospital medical errors now the third leading cause of death in the U.S. - FierceHealthcare

These are preventable mistakes, not the worsening of a patients health.

Actually, I think that a death in the hospital should also require a coroner. :unhappy:

From 2013:
"Medical errors leading to patient death are much higher than previously thought, and may be as high as 400,000 deaths a year, according to a new study in the Journal of Patient Safety."

"The latest numbers are dramatically higher than those in the Institute of Medicine's 1999 report, To Err is Human: Building A Safer Health System, which estimated that up to 98,000 people a year die because of hospital mistakes. The data for that report is based on medical record reviews from 1984 and doesn't take into account studies published since 2008."

Hospital medical errors now the third leading cause of death in the U.S. - FierceHealthcare

These are preventable mistakes, not the worsening of a patients health.

Some do. If a patient consents to an autopsy by the hospital, and they find suspicious causes of death, they (the hospital) are required in this state to report it to the authorities. If the attending doctor suspects suspicious causes of death and the family refuses an autopsy, they must report it also. :angel:

Some do. If a patient consents to an autopsy by the hospital, and they find suspicious causes of death, they (the hospital) are required in this state to report it to the authorities. If the attending doctor suspects suspicious causes of death and the family refuses an autopsy, they must report it also. :angel:

I'm sure that if the patient has expressed written instructions to do so, then an autopsy will be performed. I wonder if an autopsy would be performed if requested a close family member after a patients death and no written instructions by patient.

But my highlighted sentence [Actually, I think that a death in the hospital should also require a coroner.] was specious and was really meant to show how many preventable deaths occur in the hospital. Iatrogenic ones.

A coworkers young husband died and the family requested an autopsy because he had no illness that they knew of. It turned out he had a congenital heart problem that was not showing symptoms since he was only 30 years old. Said he didn't feel good, went to lie down, and didn't wake up. He DID have back pain, which most people don't recognize as a sign of a heart attack.

A coworkers young husband died and the family requested an autopsy because he had no illness that they knew of. It turned out he had a congenital heart problem that was not showing symptoms since he was only 30 years old. Said he didn't feel good, went to lie down, and didn't wake up. He DID have back pain, which most people don't recognize as a sign of a heart attack.

That's tragic about your friends husband. Heart attacks present in many ways, not just the classic 'grab your chest' type. Although too late for him :( this blog talks about the different ways heart disease can present. (Although aimed at women, it's good for all.)

Heart Sisters

But I'm guessing that he wasn't in the hospital at the time of his death?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom