"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

DC Discussion of Coroners, Etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Let me know if an apartment becomes vacant. I LOVE '30s and '40s B&W movies. Anything with Bette Davies has me hooked.
We had two folks expire last week, and their apartments already have a new resident. We have a very long waiting list and it takes less than a week to empty and clean the apartment.

Our lease says that the family has 30 days in which to clean out the apartment. But management frowns on that. So they put pressure on the family to get the job done faster. I told my kids about it, and they promised me it would take them at least 29 days. Bless their hearts!

Old 05-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We had two folks expire last week, and their apartments already have a new resident. We have a very long waiting list and it takes less than a week to empty and clean the apartment.

Our lease says that the family has 30 days in which to clean out the apartment. But management frowns on that. So they put pressure on the family to get the job done faster. I told my kids about it, and they promised me it would take them at least 29 days. Bless their hearts!
Goo9d for you ad your kids.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Goo9d for you ad your kids.
If my kids really wanted to be difficult, all they would have to do is take my will to Probate Court. The apartment can't be touched until the court gives permission. I have some antiques that are valuable. Reason enough to go through probate. That could take a few months or more.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
If my kids really wanted to be difficult, all they would have to do is take my will to Probate Court. The apartment can't be touched until the court gives permission. I have some antiques that are valuable. Reason enough to go through probate. That could take a few months or more.
Just a thought; If the apartment you live in was made available to someone whose life would be made better by the fast turn-around, isn't that a good thing? Of course there must be reasonable time to remove belongings from the space. And yes, I know, the building owners are just trying to preserve income from that apartment. But if it helps someone who needs a place to live...

When I go out of mortality, my survivors, first my wife, then my kids will get everything I have. But to me, the most important thing for them to have is the memory of a loving husband and father, who genuinely cares for them, and for anyone that I can help.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Just a thought; If the apartment you live in was made available to someone whose life would be made better by the fast turn-around, isn't that a good thing? Of course there must be reasonable time to remove belongings from the space. And yes, I know, the building owners are just trying to preserve income from that apartment...
The owners of Addie's building are the taxpayers.

Quote:
When I go out of mortality, my survivors, first my wife, then my kids will get everything I have. But to me, the most important thing for them to have is the memory of a loving husband and father, who genuinely cares for them, and for anyone that I can help.

You're a good and thoughtful man, Chief. Your family is lucky to have you in their lives.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The owners of Addie's building are the taxpayers.

You're a good and thoughtful man, Chief. Your family is lucky to have you in their lives.
I'd rather think of myself as one of millions of like minded men.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Just a thought; If the apartment you live in was made available to someone whose life would be made better by the fast turn-around, isn't that a good thing? Of course there must be reasonable time to remove belongings from the space. And yes, I know, the building owners are just trying to preserve income from that apartment. But if it helps someone who needs a place to live...
Certainly. But when I say they are putting pressure on the family, sometimes they are calling even before the funeral. They want them to come immediately to start cleaning out the apartment. Absolutely no compassion for the family.

We had one resident die while her niece was in the apartment with her taking care of her. Did the niece give her something to hurry her death? The police and coroner were called. All deaths are supposed to reported to the police unless it happens in a hospital or other medical facility. (We have crazy laws.) The coroner would not be performing the autopsy until the following Monday. In the meantime the police had yellow tape across the door. The manager was absolutely beside herself. The woman died of natural causes. Old age. Total lack of compassion and common sense on the part of management.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Certainly. But when I say they are putting pressure on the family, sometimes they are calling even before the funeral. They want them to come immediately to start cleaning out the apartment. Absolutely no compassion for the family.

We had one resident die while her niece was in the apartment with her taking care of her. Did the niece give her something to hurry her death? The police and coroner were called. All deaths are supposed to reported to the police unless it happens in a hospital or other medical facility. (We have crazy laws.) The coroner would not be performing the autopsy until the following Monday. In the meantime the police had yellow tape across the door. The manager was absolutely beside herself. The woman died of natural causes. Old age. Total lack of compassion and common sense on the part of management.
I understand. The family should be allowed to grieve, and the departed person should be shown dignity. That manager needs a good kick in the backside, or a visit from those ghosts who visited Scrooge. If only such things were possible.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 05-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
When my father passed away, I was 11 years old. It just so happened that I was the one who walked into the room and found him dead, so I was the one who was questioned by the coroner as to whether someone did something to cause his death. I remember that clearly.

To stay on topic, I will add that they must have thought that someone fed him poison cup cakes.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
Master Chef

I think it's safe to say that none of us are getting out of this life alive. We can only strive to treat each other well, and with dignity. If we do that, no matter skin color, or differences of where we live, or how much money we have, etc., then we are moving our race in the right directions.

That being said, coroners need to be sensitive to the family members grief, and the love they had for the departed person, especially if those members are young.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North